NYMC vs. VCU vs. Cooper vs. Howard U.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYMC vs. VCU, vs. Cooper, vs. Howard U

• NYMC

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • VCU

Votes: 38 59.4%
  • Cooper

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Howard

Votes: 5 7.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

powerincarnate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see quite a bit of these threads, so I might as well get in on the action.

NYMC

very close to me
some $$$ given
close to NYC
I know a couple of the doctors on staff
lots of clinical campuses for clerkship years
not a lot of research

VCU

67 million from NIH which makes it pretty big on research.
Great vibe I got from the school, the students, and their mission.
2 clinical campus, so some choices (DC suburb or Richmond)
Out of state cost is actually on the low side. No $$$ given so far so it is more expensive than two of the schools.
New Building with 200K square foot to open my second year.

Howard U

In DC, though I preferred the GW area, I still loved DC in the few times I was there.
some $$$ given so it actually is the cheapest.
Though I like parts of their mission, I have no plans on being a primary care doc. With that said, I question my ability to get competitive specialties from there.
Not a lot of research going on.
Some opportunities to work at a free clinic to get some early patient contact.
I liked the library, the student lounge area and some of the other parts of the facility.
Tablet Laptop is part of tuition. Ability to write on the screen with notes seem intriguing and while we can buy it ourselves in the other schools, since everyone has it here, it probably would be implemented more smoothly.
Very friendly, almost family type of atmosphere among the students.

Cooper

They along with VCU was probably my best interview, with the best vibe, with the staff appearing to have a great sense of what they want to do. Everyone was nice and helpful.

It is NEW, so who knows. Will I be able to land a competitive specialty, in a location I could see myself working??

I have no idea what scholarships will be offered, though I know they just got a 1.055 million dollar grant from a family and probably had many smaller offers in order to open the school. I'm confident the inaugural class will have some type of aid. With that said, it is out of state for me, and you need to live there for a calender year to be eligible for in state tuition. That means it wouldn't be until the 3rd year until I would be eligible. Tuition is 52K out of state, estimated cost is 77K. 3rd and 4th year would be probably 34K each with estimated total cost close to 60K by then. As such, considering two other schools offered $$$, I would need some scholarship help from them.

It is in Camden, NJ. I'm all for helping the underserved, and I think clinically you will get a great education. There will be a free clinic and we will be involved all four years. Clerkship years at Cooper means a tremendous amount of variety of things we see. In the same ways that SUNY Downstate's clerkship years is a plus for them is the same way Cooper would be. With that said, it is Camden, I will need to see what security will be like. On the CMSRU board here, an interviewee had his car broken into and he was parked in the hospital parking garage, supposibly with cameras and everything. We all know about the crime rate.

As I alluded above, the curriculum looks fabulous. It is a new school so the building is new, 200K square foot. Lots of active learning groups, similar to Hoftra, so not as much big lectures. I think that has the potential to help people learn better. Lectures will be audio and video taped. Pass/Fail, all the other schools have either abcd grades (Howard), or Honors, High Pass, Pass, Fail which is simply ABCD when you think about it.

It is funny how I progressively wrote more for each school. I think I needed to write more about Cooper since it is new. I'll say this though, out of all four schools, I will say that VCU is my preferred choice, but I have to factor everything. Could I actually give up significant money over 4 years, especially at a school 15 minutes from me??

I have been unluckly in my state school applications, but I'm Still waiting for Stony Brook's decision. I'm also still waiting for Vermont. That is a great school, loved their facilities. It is out of state with zero chance at instate tuiton so I would need $$$ in light of ther school's offers. I'm also on the High Priority Waitlist at Einstein. Being a top 40 school, 167 million NIH funding and thus a top 25 research school, great new research building by the way, and close to me, an acceptance here too will significantly change things.

Members don't see this ad.

I see quite a bit of these threads, so I might as well get in on the action.

NYMC

very close to me
some $$$ given
close to NYC
I know a couple of the doctors on staff
lots of clinical campuses for clerkship years
not a lot of research

VCU

67 million from NIH which makes it pretty big on research.
Great vibe I got from the school, the students, and their mission.
2 clinical campus, so some choices (DC suburb or Richmond)
Out of state cost is actually on the low side. No $$$ given so far so it is more expensive than two of the schools.
New Building with 200K square foot to open my second year.

Howard U

In DC, though I preferred the GW area, I still loved DC in the few times I was there.
some $$$ given so it actually is the cheapest.
Though I like parts of their mission, I have no plans on being a primary care doc. With that said, I question my ability to get competitive specialties from there.
Not a lot of research going on.
Some opportunities to work at a free clinic to get some early patient contact.
I liked the library, the student lounge area and some of the other parts of the facility.
Tablet Laptop is part of tuition. Ability to write on the screen with notes seem intriguing and while we can buy it ourselves in the other schools, since everyone has it here, it probably would be implemented more smoothly.
Very friendly, almost family type of atmosphere among the students.

Cooper

They along with VCU was probably my best interview, with the best vibe, with the staff appearing to have a great sense of what they want to do. Everyone was nice and helpful.

It is NEW, so who knows. Will I be able to land a competitive specialty, in a location I could see myself working??

I have no idea what scholarships will be offered, though I know they just got a 1.055 million dollar grant from a family and probably had many smaller offers in order to open the school. I'm confident the inaugural class will have some type of aid. With that said, it is out of state for me, and you need to live there for a calender year to be eligible for in state tuition. That means it wouldn't be until the 3rd year until I would be eligible. Tuition is 52K out of state, estimated cost is 77K. 3rd and 4th year would be probably 34K each with estimated total cost close to 60K by then. As such, considering two other schools offered $$$, I would need some scholarship help from them.

It is in Camden, NJ. I'm all for helping the underserved, and I think clinically you will get a great education. There will be a free clinic and we will be involved all four years. Clerkship years at Cooper means a tremendous amount of variety of things we see. In the same ways that SUNY Downstate's clerkship years is a plus for them is the same way Cooper would be. With that said, it is Camden, I will need to see what security will be like. On the CMSRU board here, an interviewee had his car broken into and he was parked in the hospital parking garage, supposibly with cameras and everything. We all know about the crime rate.

As I alluded above, the curriculum looks fabulous. It is a new school so the building is new, 200K square foot. Lots of active learning groups, similar to Hoftra, so not as much big lectures. I think that has the potential to help people learn better. Lectures will be audio and video taped. Pass/Fail, all the other schools have either abcd grades (Howard), or Honors, High Pass, Pass, Fail which is simply ABCD when you think about it.

It is funny how I progressively wrote more for each school. I think I needed to write more about Cooper since it is new. I'll say this though, out of all four schools, I will say that VCU is my preferred choice, but I have to factor everything. Could I actually give up significant money over 4 years, especially at a school 15 minutes from me??

I have been unluckly in my state school applications, but I'm Still waiting for Stony Brook's decision. I'm also still waiting for Vermont. That is a great school, loved their facilities. It is out of state with zero chance at instate tuiton so I would need $$$ in light of ther school's offers. I'm also on the High Priority Waitlist at Einstein. Being a top 40 school, 167 million NIH funding and thus a top 25 research school, great new research building by the way, and close to me, an acceptance here too will significantly change things.

If you decide on Cooper don't actually live in Camden. Philadelphia is right across the Ben Franklin and Cherry Hill is only a short ride away.

If I were to choose Cooper, then at least I would aim to become an instate resident so that 3rd and 4th year would be cheaper; Therefore, I would probably choose Cherry Hill.

Members don't see this ad :)
SB>VCU>AECOM>NYMC>Vermont>Cooper~Howard

My ranking due to your situation of finaid and ranking of schools.

Good luck!

SB>VCU>AECOM>NYMC>Vermont>Cooper~Howard

My ranking due to your situation of finaid and ranking of schools.

Good luck!

Interesting, care to explain yourself. For example, Why is VCU above Einstein??? Price without scholarship will be about the same. AECOM's ranking is significantly higher and I would be close to my family. Also why is SB at the top? Without scholarship, their price will be about the same as NYMC and slightly greater than Howard.

The rest I kinda of understand New school vs. much lower ranked school in Cooper and Howard and Vermont will be expensive for sure despite being a great school.

Not that I disagree, I just would like to hear your reasoning.

Interesting, care to explain yourself. For example, Why is VCU above Einstein??? Price without scholarship will be about the same. AECOM's ranking is significantly higher and I would be close to my family. Also why is SB at the top? Without scholarship, their price will be about the same as NYMC and slightly greater than Howard.

The rest I kinda of understand New school vs. much lower ranked school in Cooper and Howard and Vermont will be expensive for sure despite being a great school.

Not that I disagree, I just would like to hear your reasoning.

Looking at the MSAR, isn't SB $28,510 instate tuition?
Hypothetically speaking (based on SDN/location/my opinion) I think Richmond would be a better place to live for 4 years over the Bronx and VCU has a pretty good reputation. But I forgot the family location factor.

Looking at the MSAR, isn't SB $28,510 instate tuition?
Hypothetically speaking (based on SDN/location/my opinion) I think Richmond would be a better place to live for 4 years over the Bronx and VCU has a pretty good reputation. But I forgot the family location factor.

No sooner I put this up, I got accepted to Stony Brook now, so now there is 5 choices, with a decent chance at Einstein. This pretty much eliminates Howard unless their $$$ is increased, and this now eliminates Vermont unless they provide a significant scholarship. Cooper too would be eliminated unless they provide a significant scholarship, I anticipate that possibility so I'm keeping them for now. I'm at work right now so I can't write for too long, But I'll see if I can tweak the poll when I get home and discuss my new options and preferances later.

No sooner I put this up, I got accepted to Stony Brook now, so now there is 5 choices, with a decent chance at Einstein. This pretty much eliminates Howard unless their $$$ is increased, and this now eliminates Vermont unless they provide a significant scholarship. Cooper too would be eliminated unless they provide a significant scholarship, I anticipate that possibility so I'm keeping them for now. I'm at work right now so I can't write for too long, But I'll see if I can tweak the poll when I get home and discuss my new options and preferances later.

Of all those, I'd pick Einstein.

I would stay closer to home/family for a firm support system through out medical school and take advantage of IS tuition.

Of all those, I'd pick Einstein.

On pure reputation, ranking, research, ability to get top residency choices, closeness to where I live, yeah, Einstein is number 1. But they are also 48K with Tuition and fees and health insurance. Stony Brook is 28K, NYMC with scholarship is 30K, VCU even without scholarship is about 42K. If Einstein so much better than Stony Brook that it would be work paying 20K more per year?? multiply by 4 years that is 80K, by the time I pay it off, that would be 160K. I think the answer to this question would be a definite yes for Mt. Sinai, Columbia, NYU, or Cornell, but I'm not so sure if it is a sure bet for Einstein.

On pure reputation, ranking, research, ability to get top residency choices, closeness to where I live, yeah, Einstein is number 1. But they are also 48K with Tuition and fees and health insurance. Stony Brook is 28K, NYMC with scholarship is 30K, VCU even without scholarship is about 42K. If Einstein so much better than Stony Brook that it would be work paying 20K more per year?? multiply by 4 years that is 80K, by the time I pay it off, that would be 160K. I think the answer to this question would be a definite yes for Mt. Sinai, Columbia, NYU, or Cornell, but I'm not so sure if it is a sure bet for Einstein.

The answer to the bolded is no, definitely not. I would choose in-state tuition at Stony Brook over Einstein in a heartbeat.

If you'd immediately put on of the other 4 as your top pick, you should do the same or Einstein. It's only a little bit below Sinai in reputation, and maybe a bit more below NYU. Most of the reason people prefer those programs more is location though, and the truth is being in the Bronx will just make your cost of living outside of medical school that much cheaper.

Stony Brook is a decent place, but the caliber of IM residents you'd be working with would be a serious step down (at least 50% FMG). I'd imagine it's also a bit like musical chairs if you're single - your only options will be within your class.

For me it would be a no brainer, and I'd probably also go to NYMC over Stony Brook for location alone.

If you'd immediately put on of the other 4 as your top pick, you should do the same or Einstein. It's only a little bit below Sinai in reputation, and maybe a bit more below NYU. Most of the reason people prefer those programs more is location though, and the truth is being in the Bronx will just make your cost of living outside of medical school that much cheaper.

Stony Brook is a decent place, but the caliber of IM residents you'd be working with would be a serious step down (at least 50% FMG). I'd imagine it's also a bit like musical chairs if you're single - your only options will be within your class.

For me it would be a no brainer, and I'd probably also go to NYMC over Stony Brook for location alone.

Is this true?

What is the grading system for SB?

It's hard to say because you have family close to NYMC. I would cross off Howard/Cooper.

Ranking:

SB is ranked #57 in research.
Einstein is #39 in research.
VCU is #69 in research
NYMC, Cooper, and Howard are unranked in research.

Location wise:

NYMC: Close to family, nice area to study for the first two year. 45min from Manhattan.
AECOM: Close to family, preference if you like/not like the Bronx. 30min from Manhattan.
SB: I heard it's nice. Farther from home.
VCU: Richmond is a good city to live in for 4 years. Far from home.

Cost (Tuition + Living costs):

SB>NYMC (unless you plan to live with family)>>VCU>AECOM

In summary, I would choose SB or NYMC if the other schools do not give you scholarships. SB is ranked and NYMC is not in terms of research. Are you planning to do research/have interest in competitive specialties that look highly upon research for applicants?

Looking at 6 years of match lists for NYMC, I say NYMC does not have a problem with matching at all and the students have matched in competitive specialties. If you are a close knit family that thrives together, stay close to home.

That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with SB or NYMC. Definitely take lower tuition. The government is cutting costs of medical care so it will effect all future physicians' salaries and the struggle to pay off loans.

If the OP could commute from home to NYMC, he could do the same for AECOM. They're not that far apart (and little city traffic, depending on the route).

If the OP could commute from home to NYMC, he could do the same for AECOM. They're not that far apart (and little city traffic, depending on the route).

Yeah, if AECOM lowers cost with a scholarship down to ~30K, I'd say go for AECOM.

Is this true?

What is the grading system for SB?

It's hard to say because you have family close to NYMC. I would cross off Howard/Cooper.

Ranking:

SB is ranked #57 in research.
Einstein is #39 in research.
VCU is #69 in research
NYMC, Cooper, and Howard are unranked in research.

Location wise:

NYMC: Close to family, nice area to study for the first two year. 45min from Manhattan.
AECOM: Close to family, preference if you like/not like the Bronx. 30min from Manhattan.
SB: I heard it's nice. Farther from home.
VCU: Richmond is a good city to live in for 4 years. Far from home.

Cost (Tuition + Living costs):

SB>NYMC (unless you plan to live with family)>>VCU>AECOM

In summary, I would choose SB or NYMC if the other schools do not give you scholarships. SB is ranked and NYMC is not in terms of research. Are you planning to do research/have interest in competitive specialties that look highly upon research for applicants?

Looking at 6 years of match lists for NYMC, I say NYMC does not have a problem with matching at all and the students have matched in competitive specialties. If you are a close knit family that thrives together, stay close to home.

That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with SB or NYMC. Definitely take lower tuition. The government is cutting costs of medical care so it will effect all future physicians' salaries and the struggle to pay off loans.

I'm not sure of the methodology of the research rankings, I'm assuming it calculates all of the funding and also looks at what actually gets publish and so forth, but the biggest share of funding comes from the NIH and their 2011 numbers are in.

Albert Einstein received $167,197,451 for 23rd highest total. That actually is more than Harvard (25th, I'm sure they have internal endownment and receive from other sources), it is also more than NYU, Rochester, Cornell, and many others. Johns Hopkins is 1st with $450,715,884 by the way.

Virginia Commonwealth is 57th receiving $66,122,906

Stony Brook is 76th receiving $34,215,684,

NYMC receive a paltry 13.7 million for 99th place.

Stony Brook's own strategic planning 2011-215 (just google it or look on their website)) state that they want to be a top 50 NIH funded research institution, if so then they would have to leap frog VCU and many others.

As for why I value research, well for one, I would like to learn many part of the sciences from people on the forefront of it. This is why the research ranking in US NEWS is generally what is accepted/cited as the true rankings of the medical school. Also, it just gives you more option to do it during the first summer, or to some other time. Einstein even requires you to do something like that in the fourth year in order to Graduate. They've built that excellent new Building dedicated to research. I think in the end, it only helps if your aim is for a competitive residency.

I do agree that Barring a very healthy scholarship from the other schools, they are out of the running.

I don't plan to live with any family members, I'm older Non-traditional student. The benefits of family is simply comfort, ability to see various milestones and such, free food at times, easy access to emergency income from older siblings and such if needed. Also, I could do some per diem work at my current job during winter break, or an extremely slow Med School Week for some quick cash.

I do like AECOM a lot and if they are anywhere close to the price of NYMC or Stony Brook then I'm there.

I also had a great time in Virginia, I don't mind moving away to be there, I like the possibility of doing the clerkship years either in Richmond and in Fairfax VA (near DC).

I will go to the second look day at Stony Brook this Friday. I couldn't make it for VCU in late March, because of my Work Schedule, and no dates have been mentioned regarding NYMC.

I get to go to revisited day for Stony Brook Tomorrow. I wasn't able to go to VCU's 2nd look day, but everyone who went on the facebook page had a good time and spoke great things about the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.