NYMC waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To the experienced and well-informed:

What's the chance of getting off the NYMC waitlist? Is there one, and is it good?

Members don't see this ad.

When was your interview and when did you get waitlisted?

interviewed early december,
informed mid march.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh okay
I interviewed feb 5th
I hope I hear something soon

NYMC pulls a lot of people off the waitlist, from what I can gather. They end up accepting 3X the number of people in their first year class. Check out interviewfeedback.com, there's lots of posts from people who were on the waitlist last summer.

Well, I just sent my withdrawal (today actually) after being accepted so there's one more spot for someone! The school was just too expensive compared to my state school--but I did like it there a lot though. Good luck!

if you read through the posts on interviewfeedback from last year you will see my name along with many others who were dragged along at nymc. they were absolutely terrible last year, and judging from the fact that my file has been under review for nearly 6 months this year, they are up to the same b.s. again. all of us last year had heard how the waitlist has a great amount of movement at nymc, but it never seemed to happen. we were all calling the office last year up until orientation asking when the final decisions would be made, and we were continuously told that they had not moved to the waitlist yet. to make matters worse, somebody on interviewfeedback got in from the waitlist at the same time that we were being told that nobody had come off the waitlist yet. so, basically, they were repeatedly lying to us. i lost all respect for nymc last year (even though i applied there again this year)

for all those waiting to hear from nymc, i hope that they've improved since last year, or that you get accepted somewhere else and don't have to deal with their office staff.

Well, I went through the horrible waiting last year. It was bad, because we all exprected a lot of movement, and every day was more disappointing than the previous. Indeed, I've heard from someone in the school's administration (not admissions, but closer than me anyway), that they usually pull 40+ students from the waitlist (for a total of 185 matriculants on average; I guess not too bad). Last year, however, only a couple of people got off the list, and I think they were special cases. Apparently, many other schools had a similar lack of waitlist movement. I guess that last year, everyone got in exactly where they wanted to go. I think it was bad luck for all of us. I suspect this year will be much better for waitlistees, especially considering the AMCAS fiasco.

Good luck, and hope the long wait isn't.

I got bad vibes at NYMC when I interviewed there--something vaguely unscrupulous about the place. And that "red flag" business got on my nerves. The financial aid guy seemed like a real charlatan to me, too. Need I mention the "now you see it, now you don't" e-mail interview invites. Take anything this school says with a potent grain of salt.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by katiep:
•Last year, however, only a couple of people got off the list, and I think they were special cases. Apparently, many other schools had a similar lack of waitlist movement. I guess that last year, everyone got in exactly where they wanted to go. I think it was bad luck for all of us. I suspect this year will be much better for waitlistees, especially considering the AMCAS fiasco. •••••I sure hope you are right. :p But why you think the AMCAS fiasco will lead to a favourable waitlist situation?

I heard it's good (waitlist movement), but I still feel bad about that "we accept more Californians" thing. I just don't think it's appropriate to say that during interview day, or even have that quota.

It's true that NYMC admissions have some issues with record-keeping. Aside from their buggy webpage and phantom invites, they keep losing some documents, which were sent by both mail and fax. This and more, despite the fact I've withdrawn from there. The wait is quite long, especially for a rolling admissions school... it takes more than two months post-interview. So I'd imagine NYMC waitlists would be just as tedious.