NYMC Westchester Anesthesiology Residency (New York Medical College)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anestesiologo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Notes from interview day (2015-16 season):

Overall: Strong program for residency training with a lot of exposure to sick patients--no obvious deficits. Impressive fellowship match list. Main turn off for most is likely the location/traveling.

PROS:
  • strong fellowship match (c/o 2016: ~80% fellowship, c/o 2015: ~60% fellowship)
    • Brigham (crit. care)
    • Children's National (peds)
    • Columbia (crit. care, transplant)
    • Hopkins (peds, regional, pain)
    • Mt. Sinai (crit. care, pain)
    • NYU (regional)
    • Jefferson (peds)
    • Iowa
    • Pittsburgh (peds, Ob, regional)
    • Virginia Mason (regional)
    • Yale (Ob)
  • great patient demographics
    • SICK patients: highest "case mix index" among all US teaching hospitals (a measure of pt population's degree of sickness/acuity)
    • wide catchment area: 7 counties (from as far north as Albany and as far south as Bronx's Montefiore)
    • Level 1 trauma/burn
  • liver transplants
  • 100% pass on BASIC and written boards in 2014 and 2015
  • 2 in-house generalists every night while on call
  • almost always relieved by 1700
  • call is 24hrs max
  • reportedly good relationship with surgical departments/personnel
  • vacation can be scheduled in any way (days or weeks)
  • supportive and approachable PD
  • residents seemed happy and also verbally confirmed that they are happy

TOSS UP:
  • advanced only
  • CA-1 call: 5-6/month, CA-2 call: 4-5/month, CA-3: 3-4/month
  • no fellowships
  • exposure to more than 1 facility:
    • Metropolitan (CA-1: 4 months, CA-2: 2 months, CA-3: 2 months)
    • Danbury (CA-1: 2 months, CA-2: 2 months, CA-3: 3 months)
    • Mt. Sinai (CA-2: 1 month for pain)
  • new management
    • 14-15 new faculty recently added from summer 2015-spring 2016 (most trained at Cornell or Columbia)
    • during interview, residents were very happy about this change
  • 1:1 resident:attending ratio (supposedly a resident-driven change to allow for more learning)

CONS:
  • traveling: Danbury in Connecticut (though there is housing provided for those rotations), Metropolitan/Mt. Sinai in Manhattan
  • didactics in AM & noontime
  • no moonlighting
  • parking:
    • $10/month @ Westchester (not so bad)
    • free @ Danbury (great)
    • $90/month @ Metropolitan (awful)
  • some paper charting
  • no lung transplants

ADDITIONAL INFO.:
  • 9-10/class
  • 1/2 of residents live in Manhattan's Upper East Side or Upper West Side, some live in White Plains, a couple live in Queens/Brooklyn
  • ~60% married or attached/~40% single
  • day typically starts at 0600, first case usually scheduled for 0730 start
  • didactics:
    • daily during first month to become oriented
    • journal club, grand rounds, oral board review, M&M
  • research project support via designated faculty member (Mario Inchiosa)
  • residents get "the better cases" when compared to CRNAs
  • especially strong training for these subfields:
    • peds
    • cards/bariatric (including aortic arch/thoracic aorta reconstructions)
    • pain
  • the different facilities:
    • Westchester Medical (main site)
      • 680 beds
      • sick patients and complex procedures
      • rotations: cardiac, neuro, ortho, vascular, ophtho, ENT, xplant, gyn, ICU, regional, non-OR, difficult airway
    • Maria Fareri Children's
      • 120 beds
      • rotations: neonates/peds
    • Danbury
      • 45 mins. from Westchester
      • private
      • staffed mostly attendings trained at Yale
      • most people live there during those rotations
      • call shifts are pretty relaxed
    • Metropolitan
      • rotations: Ob, peds
    • Mt. Sinai
      • rotation: pain
  • interview ~100 applicants
  • interview day
    • to get there without renting a car, consider taking Metro-North train from Manhattan's Grand Central Terminal to White Plains and then catching the 40 or 41 bus (this bus option did not appear when I searched routes on Google Maps, but it totally works)
    • schedule
      • introduction by PD and residency coordinator over lunch
      • Q&A with residents
      • split into two groups for interviews and tour
        • 2 interviews (not everyone has the same interviewers, and some were interviewed by one of the chief residents)
        • interviews were relaxed

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Another advertising thread. Awesome. :corny:

What's the percentage of AMGs? It must be pretty low, since they don't advertise the list of their residents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I liked Dr. McGoldrick a lot when I interviewed there, one of my favorite interviews. She's very humble and relatable. Location and the distance of the affiliates was bad. But it's a quiet area, nice for families and it does have a pretty big catchment area. Plus they got rid of napa recently which is always a plus

Members don't see this ad :)

What's the percentage of AMGs? It must be pretty low, since they don't advertise the list of their residents.

You are correct - I remember them showing the IMG/AMG differential on interview day a few years ago. Fairly IMG heavy.

You are correct - I remember them showing the IMG/AMG differential on interview day a few years ago. Fairly IMG heavy.

Seems like a solid program for all those posters with "Will I match with a Step of 210" Or I am an IMG with a Step of 230 looking for a decent program. Some Med Students may have limited options vs others so this program becomes a good option for them. Despite all the shortcomings this program does what is needed to train competent Anesthesiologists.

Reactions: 2 users

No applicant would spend that much time writing such a long and drawn out pros and cons list. Nice try

I liked the impression I got from here. Only thing was they lost my folder so I didn't get interviewed til 630pm lol. Other than that day went well.

Programs these days need to advertise. From what I hear match list was significantly weaker than last year at many programs

Sorry to bump an old thread but was wondering if the impressions of the program have changed in the past 2 years. Any thoughts? (Or should I just cancel my interview right now...)