Nymc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mephisto

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got rejected by NYMC, which was really surprising. I got the interview right away and interviewed in december and I thought I nailed it. I had a great time at the school, I stayed with a student there, and I truly liked the place and even connected with my interviewer discussing my research and issues of healthcare policy. It was very enjoyable. Even my stats blow their averages out of the water. WTF! I'm glad I'm in somewhere else cause I was kind of counting on NYMC as a safety.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm.... who did u interview with? My interviewer was pretty tough. I interviewed in mid december and my stats were much higher than their avg's too... maybe i'll hear the same news shortly. Was your interview in mid or early december?

I interviewed early december and I still have not heard from NYMC.

I do not think NYMC puts a heavy emphasis on the interview. Think about it, the interview was only 20 minutes, and the interviewers spend most of their time reading off a list of questions and filling out worksheets. However, the school is big on rejecting applicants with red flags on their application. Mephisto, do you have a red flag on your application, such as no experience clinically, in research, or as a community volunteer? Do you have a lopsided MCAT score or a D/F in a course that you cannot explain?

Mephisto said:
I just got rejected by NYMC, which was really surprising. I got the interview right away and interviewed in december and I thought I nailed it. I had a great time at the school, I stayed with a student there, and I truly liked the place and even connected with my interviewer discussing my research and issues of healthcare policy. It was very enjoyable. Even my stats blow their averages out of the water. WTF! I'm glad I'm in somewhere else cause I was kind of counting on NYMC as a safety.

Members don't see this ad :)
sdnstud said:
However, the school is big on rejecting applicants with red flags on their application.

ehh, i don't really know if that's totally the case. i think a lot of people who interview and even those who get into nymc have some sort of red flag on the application, whether it be lower science gpa or mcat sub-scores or whatever.

sdnstud said:
I interviewed early december and I still have not heard from NYMC.

I do not think NYMC puts a heavy emphasis on the interview. Think about it, the interview was only 20 minutes, and the interviewers spend most of their time reading off a list of questions and filling out worksheets. However, the school is big on rejecting applicants with red flags on their application. Mephisto, do you have a red flag on your application, such as no experience clinically, in research, or as a community volunteer? Do you have a lopsided MCAT score or a D/F in a course that you cannot explain?

Interesting. I've got a red flag that I would assume schools would be concerned with, but my interviewer at NYMC didn't seem all that bothered by it. My interview lasted almost an hour because he said there is so much to learn about me. He kept saying, "the committee will love this...tell me more." Sounded like the interview meant something so I had my hopes up bigtime - NYMC is my second choice...only behind my state school. I guess we'll see in about 9 weeks if that's the case. Good luck.

I think it's just proof of the "crap-shoot" that is this process. I'm in grad school at NYMC, and know a couple professors on the admissions committee...one of them told me last year that their average is just about dead-on 3.5, 30. So let's think about it...with the enormous number of applications they get, for their averages to be where they are, they most certainly turn away a lot of people above their numerical averages. To the OP, no offense, but I doubt you're the only highly qualified candidate who looked at NYMC as a safety, and trust me, adcoms know that. It may not make sense, but hey, you're in elsewhere you know? I still haven't gotten an interview from NYMC, and my numbers are right about at their average, and I'm an alumnus! So who knows...unless there is some glaring question mark in your overall application, you were probably just a victim of chance. You can always contact the office and ask about their decision, right? Congrats on your other acceptance(s) though.

As far as red flags go, I do have a W on my transcript which I pointed out when my interviewer asked if I had any red flags. It was never an issue anywhere else I interviewed and even when someone asked about it, they said it probably won't matter. I feel like me mentioning it as a red flag when they asked me at NYMC probably drew unnecessary attention to it. The reason I was truly disappointed was because I actually did like the school and the area. It had a classic boarding school feeling, which seemed like it would be an awesome experience. I hope all of you fare better with NYMC.

Hey Mephisto, if you do call NYMC to demand an explanation, please let me know what they say. I'm very very curious.

BTW ornis4 is right, this process is a crapshot. Perhaps NYMC looked at your application and thought there is no way you'll be going to the school. To tell you the truth, I had a similar experience with Albany med couple weeks ago. I thought I nailed the interviews, and my numbers are higher than Albany's average, but I did not get accepted.

Mephisto said:
As far as red flags go, I do have a W on my transcript which I pointed out when my interviewer asked if I had any red flags. It was never an issue anywhere else I interviewed and even when someone asked about it, they said it probably won't matter. I feel like me mentioning it as a red flag when they asked me at NYMC probably drew unnecessary attention to it. The reason I was truly disappointed was because I actually did like the school and the area. It had a classic boarding school feeling, which seemed like it would be an awesome experience. I hope all of you fare better with NYMC.

Mephisto said:

I'm really shocked..and sorry. :(

What kinds of red flags are you people referring to? I mean I don't have any research and they didn't care.

Psycho Doctor said:
I'm really shocked..and sorry. :(

What kinds of red flags are you people referring to? I mean I don't have any research and they didn't care.

I don't know how much stock I put in the "red flag" theory...but I would assume that W's, F's, or a complete lack of serving the community/extracurriculars/signs of humanity altogether would sort of cast the rest of the app. in a different light, but who knows...I had two bad semesters, one in undergrad, one in grad...and I also had a "W" my first semester in college because I had a severe case of mono and the lovely people in the administration insisted I still had to receive a "W" because I dropped the class a day late, despite being partially comatose. No research here either, but that hasn't seemed to be an issue anywhere, especially since I'm not really applying to schools heavy into research.

ornis4 said:
I think it's just proof of the "crap-shoot" that is this process. I'm in grad school at NYMC, and know a couple professors on the admissions committee...one of them told me last year that their average is just about dead-on 3.5, 30. So let's think about it...with the enormous number of applications they get, for their averages to be where they are, they most certainly turn away a lot of people above their numerical averages. To the OP, no offense, but I doubt you're the only highly qualified candidate who looked at NYMC as a safety, and trust me, adcoms know that. It may not make sense, but hey, you're in elsewhere you know? I still haven't gotten an interview from NYMC, and my numbers are right about at their average, and I'm an alumnus! So who knows...unless there is some glaring question mark in your overall application, you were probably just a victim of chance. You can always contact the office and ask about their decision, right? Congrats on your other acceptance(s) though.

Hey I am an alumus at at UMDNJ and they haven't interviewed me yet either! Isn't that so crappy?!?!?

Mephisto-

Sorry to hear about the rejection. It seems like you are a highly qualified candidate. To echo the thoughts of the previous SDNers, maybe overqualified???

Mephisto said:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm starting to wonder about NYMC myself. Haven't heard a word from them since my secondary was done in September. I don't have high hopes for this one, even though I don't feel I have any of the conventional 'red flags' discussed above (though I think my physics MCAT score could qualify). Anyway, best of luck to all of you applicants!

By the way, hey Josh, it's Tim. Didn't know you were on this forum!

Timmythemic22 said:
I'm starting to wonder about NYMC myself. Haven't heard a word from them since my secondary was done in September. I don't have high hopes for this one, even though I don't feel I have any of the conventional 'red flags' discussed above (though I think my physics MCAT score could qualify). Anyway, best of luck to all of you applicants!

By the way, hey Josh, it's Tim. Didn't know you were on this forum!

Holy crap, how about that. Ha. Your name is way better than mine, I just used the old AIM name. Yeah, I spend a decent amount of time on SDN...maybe I'll stop by the admissions office at NYMC before class tomorrow and start yelling at people, anyone think that will get us all interviews/acceptances? Should I throw things?

Can you yell at them for me? it's been over 11 weeks post interview now, and I still have not received a decision. Didn't the OP interview on the same day as I did? Why is my decision letter taking so long to reach me?

ornis4 said:
Holy crap, how about that. Ha. Your name is way better than mine, I just used the old AIM name. Yeah, I spend a decent amount of time on SDN...maybe I'll stop by the admissions office at NYMC before class tomorrow and start yelling at people, anyone think that will get us all interviews/acceptances? Should I throw things?

sdnstud said:
Can you yell at them for me? it's been over 11 weeks post interview now, and I still have not received a decision. Didn't the OP interview on the same day as I did? Why is my decision letter taking so long to reach me?

I interviewed on the same day as you did, Sdnstud, and I haven't heard back yet either.

Perhaps its a good sign to those still waiting. They likely send out the rejections first. I've come to terms with my rejection and no longer feel too bad, thanks a lot guys.

Psycho Doctor said:

Lack of research isn't a red flag... especially if you have a lot of other things to make up for it. Plus, not very many people have very meaningful research or publications.

And for other people waiting to hear back from NYMC, I had a bunch of bad grades and a horrible interview (i even wrote a crappy evaluation post-interview) and I still got accepted. So I hope those of you still waiting to hear back from them hear good news soon :luck:

Yeah, actually I think it's a great idea, make a ruckus! Apparently, muttering curses under my breath during every one of my waking hours is doing little to move any of my remaining schools in their decision. It's time to be proactive!

tinkerbelle said:
Lack of research isn't a red flag... especially if you have a lot of other things to make up for it. Plus, not very many people have very meaningful research or publications.

And for other people waiting to hear back from NYMC, I had a bunch of bad grades and a horrible interview (i even wrote a crappy evaluation post-interview) and I still got accepted. So I hope those of you still waiting to hear back from them hear good news soon :luck:

was your interviewer a pediatrician?????

has anyone received any replies lately?
if so, when did you interview?

thanks

Geez dude. Talk about resurrection!

i'm confused. i thought NYMC only accepted and waitlisted people post-interview. so they actually reject too???

i'm confused. i thought NYMC only accepted and waitlisted people post-interview. so they actually reject too???

If your interview lasted only 20 minutes and s/he spent the whole time filling out a worksheet, I would have definitely requested another interview. It sounds like someone was just trying to fill his or her duty to the committee.

In regards to red flags, there is no such thing at ANY medical school that cannot be overcome through discussion or explanation during an interview. If you have a problem, discuss it, particularly if the interviewer asks about it.

If s/he doesn't but it really bothers you, it might be worth mentioning so as to proffer an explanation, even if this risks highlighting it unnecessarily. Keep in mind that your interviewer will not always be on the committee that reviews for decisions, and thus providing the interviewer with a critical piece of information for inclusion in the write-up to that committee may be of utility.

ANYONE?

i interviewed in late november and haven't heard anything

ANYONE?

i interviewed in late november and haven't heard anything

I interviewed in late November and haven't heard anything either...

I was mid-november and haven't heard anything :(

Also interviewed in mid-November. Since acceptances have gone out on 12/1, 12/21, and 1/23, I don't think we will be hearing back for a bit.

for those waiting, do what I did and start writing them update/intent letters every month until they let you in