Nymc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hypnotized20

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All, I am currently waitlisted at NYMC and was wondering what to expect in the next few months in regards to the waitlist? Is there typically lots of movement? If so, how many people generally get in from the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad.

I am really not too sure about how much the list moves, but i've heard people do get off of the list....when did you interview at nymc?

I am really not too sure about how much the list moves, but i've heard people do get off of the list....when did you interview at nymc?

Why do you think you got waitlisted? Low GPA/MCAT or a sucky interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard NYMC has a lot of waitlist movement. Make sure you send in a nice LOI every month telling them you love to go there, you have improved yourself lately in doing research/volunteering/clinical exposure, and why are you a good fit.

i havent been waitlist (knock on wood)...i was just asking when he/she interviewed...i was a feb interviewee, so i should be hearing soon (hopefully its good news)

Lately it takes app. 11 weeks from interview to notification. I heard they email you for acceptances, and snail mail for rejections/waitlists.

They did promise the late February interviews that they'd let them know by May 15th (or were going to try very hard, at any rate). So I'm hoping that 11 weeks doesn't quite hold true for those of us in that group.

They did promise the late February interviews that they'd let them know by May 15th (or were going to try very hard, at any rate). So I'm hoping that 11 weeks doesn't quite hold true for those of us in that group.

Your waiting for a reply will get shorter as we enter May 1-15 period, when a lot of students dropping out of safety schools like NYMC and Drexel. These are not bad schools, they are just second choice for many. Make sure you send them a nice LOI the end of April, and again May, June if necessary.

I know an applicant to NYMC was interviewed in Jan 07. On Thursday morning of the 10th week, he sent them a short email saying that he loves the school and is still highly interested in them. The next Monday morning (which is the 11th week), he received an email in the morning from NYMC with "Invitation to Admission from NYMC" as headline, with an acceptance package arriving in the mail 8 days later. It may be a coincidence, but it never hurts to tell the med school that "I WANT to come here real bad!" Good luck!

I interviewed on February 15th and still haven't heard anything yet. Tomorrow will be 9 weeks, just to give you all a time reference.

It usually takes about 11 weeks between interview and acceptance (by email) since Jan 2. Rejections/waitlists take 12 weeks by snail mail. Send them LOI! Good luck.

Actually I interviewed back in November. Im not too sure why i got waitlisted;although, it must have been the interview that did it for me.

My stats are pretty good: 33R and 3.8 from a top 20 school.

Actually I interviewed back in November. Im not too sure why i got waitlisted;although, it must have been the interview that did it for me.

My stats are pretty good: 33R and 3.8 from a top 20 school.

maybe they assumed you wouldn't really want to go there if they accepted you since your stats are a bit above average for them. My interview wasn't until March 20th...so maybe they'll reject me in June????

maybe they assumed you wouldn't really want to go there if they accepted you since your stats are a bit above average for them. My interview wasn't until March 20th...so maybe they'll reject me in June????

What is their avg MCAT/GPA for accepted ?

referring back to the original question..
on my interview day i was told that 2/3 of the current class was accepted off of the waitlist. that sounds pretty promising.

I interviewed 3/21 and we were told that we'd hear back by May 15th.

I interviewed last week, and they said they'd let us know before May 15th as well....looks like they're going to be busy!!!

I think this whole if its an email its an acceptance and if snailmail its a waitlist/rejection method sucks. Everytime I see that i dont have an email I worry that i might be getting a letter in the mail.

You can check the status page to see if it says "letter sent" yet. I like that you get an e-mail if you're accepted. That way, I don't have to check the status page or mail box obsessively.