NYS Compounding exam Jan 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smilePRN

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm an out of state grad taking the NY compounding exam January 8/9 and I'm freaking out!

I wasn't able to attend a live review course offered by any of the pharmacy schools (even though i had registered for it at ACP... long story). Currently, all i have to study from are outdated Dr. Cutie notes (2015-2016) and quizlet. I'm afraid I'll make stupid mistakes since i didn't get any 'tips' on how they grade different parts of the exam and what they expect from you in your responses. Does anyone have a rubric or something from their school that might be useful for someone like me?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!

I'm an out of state grad taking the NY compounding exam January 8/9 and I'm freaking out!

I wasn't able to attend a live review course offered by any of the pharmacy schools (even though i had registered for it at ACP... long story). Currently, all i have to study from are outdated Dr. Cutie notes (2015-2016) and quizlet. I'm afraid I'll make stupid mistakes since i didn't get any 'tips' on how they grade different parts of the exam and what they expect from you in your responses. Does anyone have a rubric or something from their school that might be useful for someone like me?

Were you doing reciprocity? If so, you don't need to take that exam as long as you've practiced for over a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!

How was your exam smilePRN?

Day 1 was great! I probably missed 5-6 silly points. Day 2 started off good too. The IV calculation and compounding was pretty straight forward, compounding the capsules was a pain (especially since this was the first time I've ever done it) and then i started to run out of time and rushed through the ointment. While i was compounding the ointment, I realized that i may have made a calculation error but at that point in the game there literally wasn't enough time for me to double check the math or remake the product. I really wish i did but i was just so nervous and figured having a completed product was better than nothing. My preparation of the ointment was pretty sloppy and i didn't even make it 'pharmaceutically elegant,' I basically just shoved it into the jar so I'm sure they deduct points for that. Also, I forgot about the auxiliary label for both non-sterile compounds so I'm sure thats a few points off as well.
What I'm most worried about is my calculation of the ointment. When i came home, i did the math again and got completely different numbers so I'm pretty sure i messed up on the exam. I also discovered when i got home that my calculator was malfunctioning, and it completely stopped working a bit later (smh this would literally happen only to me and no one else in the world). I guess I'l have to wait 6 weeks to find out but I'm pretty sure my calculation error in the ointment is a big enough error to constitute as a 'fatal flaw' and would result in failure of the exam... Sorry for the spiel lol. How was your exam? I hope you had a better experience!

I know exactly what you are talking about with those flimsy calculators . I find that the ones with just the ADD, MINUS, Sq root are so unreliable. I always have to make sure I double check when using them, which of course takes up so much time. Sounds like you didn't do too bad for someone who didn't do a review class . Hopefully, you will get at least a 75...fingers crossed. Good Luck!

I know exactly what you are talking about with those flimsy calculators . I find that the ones with just the ADD, MINUS, Sq root are so unreliable. I always have to make sure I double check when using them, which of course takes up so much time. Sounds like you didn't do too bad for someone who didn't do a review class . Hopefully, you will get at least a 75...fingers crossed. Good Luck!

I dropped the calculator when the proctor checked it and one of the buttons fell off, I'm sure that had something to do with it malfunctioning lol...clearly I was a nervous wreck. I wish i took a backup calculator but oh well, nothing i can do about it now. I tried my best, worst case scenario I'll have to retake the exam in June :(

Did you attend a review class? And did you find it helpful?

No I thought of it too late... but I wish I did. I hear that Dr Cutie has as good one...maybe I will try him next time if I have to.

If you already passed the NY MPJE and completed your application, you can check the ny license verification site to check for your license. If you passed, your license number should be up.

Goodluck everyone:):):)