NYS license for foreign trained dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Absit22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am about to graduate the two year advanced standing program. I have been trying to get accepted to a GPR and couldn't do so mostly due to program directors being unsure if I will have enough credits to qualify for the NYS license since I didn't attend college in the US. Has anyone had a similar experience and how did you handle it?

Members don't see this ad.

Call NY Board of Dentistry. They will ask you to submit some paperwork, and then they will evaluate your case. It is case by case, and it is different from one country to another.

Reactions: 1 users
The practice of dentistry or use of the title "dentist" within New York State requires licensure.

To be licensed as a dentist in New York State initially or through endorsement you must:
  • be of good moral character;
  • be at least 21 years of age;
  • meet education requirements;
  • meet examination requirements;
  • meet experience requirements; and
  • complete coursework or training in the identification and reporting of child abuse offered by a New York State approved provider.
You must file an application for licensure and the other forms indicated, along with the appropriate fee, to the Office of the Professions at the address specified on each form. It is your responsibility to follow up with anyone you have asked tosend us material. read here: NYS Dentistry:License Requirements