NYSC in Nigeria before med. school in the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cathyrn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening to my fellow Nigerians,
I need major advice on if i should go back to Nigeria for a year for NYSC. I am currently living in the US and about to apply to med. school soon. I am right now doing work with HIV clients, volunteered at a clinic and have gotten to shadow an OB/GYN doctor. I haven't being home in over 10years( paperwork issue) and would really love to go back and volunteer through the NYSC for a year within healthcare field (Women's health, HIV etc) before starting Med. school. My mother has great exaggerated tales about the program but i was hoping to get advice from anyone who has gone through it recently (maybe in the past 5-10years) or has any info i should know about. Do you think it would be worth it ? I would love everyone's two cents....

Members don't see this ad.

Good evening to my fellow Nigerians,
I need major advice on if i should go back to Nigeria for a year for NYSC. I am currently living in the US and about to apply to med. school soon. I am right now doing work with HIV clients, volunteered at a clinic and have gotten to shadow an OB/GYN doctor. I haven't being home in over 10years( paperwork issue) and would really love to go back and volunteer through the NYSC for a year within healthcare field (Women's health, HIV etc) before starting Med. school. My mother has great exaggerated tales about the program but i was hoping to get advice from anyone who has gone through it recently (maybe in the past 5-10years) or has any info i should know about. Do you think it would be worth it ? I would love everyone's two cents....

Don't just waste your time. would highly recommend that you focus on applying to medical school here in the state.

p.s. I am a practicing emergency medicine physician assistant. IM for further question. Good luck.