NYSSA's 63rd annual PGA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got my PGA brochure and registration form in the mail.. I know it's super early to talk about this. but I am kind of excited cause well it's free for me cause i am a med student and it's in NYC which is like a 20min train ride away.
Do a ton of people go to this event?

Anyone on here planning on going to it?

This will be my first conference so I really don't know what to expect... but it looks like there's a lot of cool/fun activities planned.

How much smaller is this when comparing it to the annual ASA meeting in New Orleans?

hope to meet some of you guys there.

Members don't see this ad.

So I just got my PGA brochure and registration form in the mail.. I know it's super early to talk about this. but I am kind of excited cause well it's free for me cause i am a med student and it's in NYC which is like a 20min train ride away.
Do a ton of people go to this event?

Anyone on here planning on going to it?

This will be my first conference so I really don't know what to expect... but it looks like there's a lot of cool/fun activities planned.

How much smaller is this when comparing it to the annual ASA meeting in New Orleans?

hope to meet some of you guys there.

I was thinking about it, but it is right in the middle of interview season. I'm not sure I'd be able to swing the time away.

I was thinking about it, but it is right in the middle of interview season. I'm not sure I'd be able to swing the time away.

that's why if i won't have interviews planned i'll be going.. hopefully i'll get to mingle with some PDs. or at least i'll have something to discuss on interviews after the conference.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went every year for four years, and they have enhanced the offering to medical students every year; I think they've had a "meet&greet" or a "what residency directors are looking for in an applicant" breakfast the last couple of years. It's a reasonable place to mingle with the PDs...I can remember hanging out at a table, just me and Dr. Gallagher, the PD at Stony Brook, while lines were forming for the chance to say "Hi" to Dr. Levine from Mount Sinai. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Additionally, they do have some pretty decent lecturers...last year the keynote address was given by the Chair from UW.

As you plan to go, keep in mind that some things cost money, and some may actually be closed to students. But huge vendor setups and free coffee all over, and in a highly-touristy central area.

dc

cool thanks a lot for the info sounds like a great time.. yeah I spoke with a secretary of the NYSSA and she said basically we'll have to pay for everything that everyone else has to pay for i.e. miniworkshops and other smaller discussion sessions but otherwise we're more than welcome to attend and there's plenty of poster presentations and other things to see.

Could any other students comment on what they thought of PGA or any particular workshops they participated in? I'm most likely going to PGA 67 and signing up for a few workshops. I have my anesthesia rotation beginning of January so this would be awesome timing the weekend of Dec 13th.

Definitely worth going! I went as a med student, and it was a great time. They also give extra tickets for the paid seminars to the med students for free.

Definitely worth going! I went as a med student, and it was a great time. They also give extra tickets for the paid seminars to the med students for free.

Awesome I'll do it then! Hmm interesting I was about to sign up for and pay for several of those. Were the extra tickets just handed to students while you were hanging around during the day? Some of the US guided local blocks and peripheral line placement ones look good. I was also thinking difficult airway management would be good to do before my rotation. They are at least $150 each though.