NYT Article on Dermatology - Questionable Treatments of Skin Cancers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thanks for sharing that article.

I wasn't very impressed with the writing as it takes the usual NYT method of sensationalizing the content without really delving into the why or the solutions (not that I completely blame them, we as dermatologists haven't stumbled across the right answers yet either)

Things I agree with:
- as a specialty, we probably biopsy too much
- the increase in PE firms buying up practices and installing mid-level providers is a concern
- as a specialty, we probably overtreat (more on this later)

Things I disagree with:
- arguing against aggressive treatment of skin cancers other than melanoma in the frail elderly (who defines aggressive? is Mohs aggressive?)
- arguing against the treatment of AKs
- using an example of what sounds like an independently practicing PA in an attempt to smear an entire specialty. Most of us don't practice like this. I don't believe for one second that the ADCS work platform is what our future looks like as a specialty.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree that some of the article has some legit points.

However, overall a typical NYT article. I imagine a boardroom somewhere in Manhattan:
"Hmm, we haven't published an inflammatory article bashing Dermatology or Orthopedics lately. Is it time for another?"
"Most definitely...there are never enough. Maybe this one will get the readership wound up even more!"

Reactions: 1 user