NYT: Millions take gabapentin despite limited evidence it works...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score

"In many well-controlled studies they found there was less than a one-point difference on the 10-point pain scale between patients taking the drug versus a placebo, a difference often clinically meaningless. For example, among 209 patients with sciatica, Lyrica did not significantly reduce the intensity of leg pain when compared with a placebo, and dizziness was more commonly reported by the 108 patients who took the drug."

Members don't see this ad.

"Gabapentin and Lyrica, both sold by Pfizer, have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration to treat only four debilitating pain problems"...the lady doesn't even understand the difference between generic and brand-name...gabapentin is generic, helloooo

Members don't see this ad :)
The article is correct though.
Every patient and their mother gets put on these by pcps. I rarely get a referral with someone not on it; despite patient not having sx that warrant it
Easier alternative than the opioids I guess

Gabapentin should be in the drinking water.

The article is correct though.
Every patient and their mother gets put on these by pcps. I rarely get a referral with someone not on it; despite patient not having sx that warrant it
Easier alternative than the opioids I guess
and the best thing you can do is stop them and make them feel better, less groggy.

I mean really what are your alternatives for "neuropathic pain"? TCAs, Cymbalta. That's about it. Although I thought Topamax surprisingly had some evidence behind it for acute radiculopathy. We just don't have a lot of great options

I mean really what are your alternatives for "neuropathic pain"? TCAs, Cymbalta. That's about it. Although I thought Topamax surprisingly had some evidence behind it for acute radiculopathy. We just don't have a lot of great options

wellbutrin has some data, although I'm not sure how good it is

Bupropion. Bupropion inhibits the reuptake of norepinephrine and dopamine. In a double-blind crossover study of patients with various forms of neuropathic pain, at doses of 300mg per day, bupropion SR was similar in efficacy to TCAs.4