1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

NYT: "Young, Assured and Playing Pharmacist to Friends"

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by Hurricane, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Hurricane

Hurricane Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Check out this NY Times article:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/16/health/16patient.html?pagewanted=1

From the article:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mucha

mucha Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    One of my attending joked that one day zoloft will end up being added to tap water, like fluorine...it will make everybody nicer and no need for psychs in the process... :laugh:
    That was his answer to a serious debate at that time about wether to put zoloft over the counter.

4. Miklos

Miklos Guest

Resident [Any Field]
  5. Anasazi23

Anasazi23 Your Digital Ruler
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This was discussed in a thread "self medication" below.

The most interesting part was perusing the website. It's a board much like this one.

There are massive amounts of misinformation being disemminated by people who clearly have no real understanding of pharmacology or physiology in general. There is a lot of this "I know my brain better than any psychiatrist does! Therefore, I'll get what I feel I need and want." stuff. There are these amateur psychiatrists offering advice on how to change and/or tailor their medication regimins based on other posters symptoms. This, however, is what we must contend with.

**[I've merged the threads for easy reading]**

6. Hurricane

Hurricane Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I know! Some of these people came off quite arrogant. So a patient immerses herself in literature about a specific drug, then goes to the doc and knows some details that the doc doesn't know without having to look it up himself, and thus concludes she doesn't need the doc? I can spend a couple days immersing myself in internet articles about copyright law and know a lot of detail about that one particular thing, but that doesn't make me competent to dispense legal advice, because I have no context, no frame of reference for the information as it relates to the rest of the legal system. So while I'm interested in certain aspects of the law, I'll leave the practice of it to a professional.

Another thing, I think some of these people are assuming that because the doc is asking them to take an active role in the descision making process, the doc is somehow less competent. So the doc asks the patient things like "Do you think your difficulty sleeping started after we increased the dose of drug X? Would you like to go down on the dose and see if that helps?" Some people would take that to mean "Oh that doc doesn't know anything. I just tell him what to do and he does it."

I suspect that some people are self-medicating because they don't have insurance, or they have crappy insurance, and can't see a doc. And perhaps some of them are trying to compensate for the fact that they can't see a doc by telling themselves and others that they don't need a doc. I dunno.

I also wonder how much of a trend this really is. Lately the NYT has been bad about seeing 5 people doing something and labeling it a "trend." Case in point: They recently had a front page story about how an alarming number of female ivy league students were planning on ditching their career to be stay-at-home moms, and the methods used by the reporter were later ripped apart, and some of the quotes were taken out of context. I trust them a lot less than I used to.

Oh that makes sense now. I saw a thread with new title started by me, and I wondered if I didn't need some self-medication of my own! :p

7. OldPsychDoc

OldPsychDoc Senior Curmudgeon
    Physician Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes, but who will they sue when something goes wrong if they don't have a doc writing the script? :rolleyes:

8. Miklos

Miklos Guest

Resident [Any Field]
    In my eagerness to post, I overlooked Hurricane's thread. Sorry about that.

What I find the most amazing is the cocktail of drugs some of these "users" (please pardon the pun) are on. Truly, mindblowing! (again, please excuse the pun.)

9. Manochikitsak

Manochikitsak Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You made some very good points in ur post...however this one stands out.... At times, I wonder whether the "Mother Teresa" like approach they expect us to take in Step 2 CS and boards, and therefore in clinical practice is really the right kind of approach. I guess we need to keep a balance between an optimum level of authority and giving the patient options to choose from.

10. PublicHealth

PublicHealth Membership Revoked
    Removed

Old news: http://mentalhealth.about.com/od/psychopharmacology/a/prozacuk804.htm