NYU acceptance procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SillyRabbit

Trix R 4 Kidz
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The acceptance was in a thin envelope with just one sheet of paper in it. Just said at the end Congrats and looks forward to greeing you in August! No other info about deposits (better not be one since you have to pay $72,000) or a deadline to save your seat in the class by.
So, how does that all work?

Also, does anyone know about how they give scholarships?

Is anyone seriously considering NYU?

Members don't see this ad.

Just out of curiosity, but what is the base line tuition at NYU?

I got the same letter today, a sheet of paper with no deadlines, deposits fees, & no scholarships ...

Members don't see this ad :)
Tuition alone is like $43,000. With living expenses comes to $75,000 / yr. Financial aid lady said it's normal for ppl to graduate from nyu /w $300,000 in debt.

Bingpredent...where do u think you'll go????

Originally posted by SillyRabbit
Bingpredent...where do u think you'll go????

Still can't decide between umdnj and stony. :mad:

Any UMDNJ or Stony students here would help me out a bit would be greatly appreciated! :p

same here, i had to read it twice to make sure it was an acceptance letter. :laugh:

I got a letter today saying that im on the waiting list! :confused:

Originally posted by highlanderdds

eh, i've been there for the past YEAR!

What are your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey comet, have you heard anything new from nyu recently? thats a long time to put someone on a waitlist.

Originally posted by ohcdn
hey comet, have you heard anything new from nyu recently? thats a long time to put someone on a waitlist.

I'm sure that NYU has seperate waitlists for each application cycle. If you didnt get called off the waitlist for the last application, you are NOT automatically on the next cycle's waitlist.

Originally posted by Rezdawg
My thoughts exactly. :(

At least he/she wasn't rejected.

Originally posted by Dentaldream
I'm sure that NYU has seperate waitlists for each application cycle. If you didnt get called off the waitlist for the last application, you are NOT automatically on the next cycle's waitlist.

you guys should read my previous posts on NYU wait-list thing. I was originally waitlisted for fall 2003 entering class... didnt make it off the list, so they gave me an option to keep my file active instead of having to re-apply. and i asked them in writing. so, my status got updated to wait-list for 2004 cycle. did it change anything? honestly, no!
The difference is that they keep reviewing my file once in a while and i need to give them my grades for this sem... (or maybe next sem as welll!!)

For Ever Waiting Comet!

Originally posted by Comet208
you guys should read my previous posts on NYU wait-list thing. I was originally waitlisted for fall 2003 entering class... didnt make it off the list, so they gave me an option to keep my file active instead of having to re-apply. and i asked them in writing. so, my status got updated to wait-list for 2004 cycle. did it change anything? honestly, no!
The difference is that they keep reviewing my file once in a while and i need to give them my grades for this sem... (or maybe next sem as welll!!)

For Ever Waiting Comet!

Ok, just to clairify:

Did NYU automatically put you on this year's waitlist? Or did they look at your stats and everything, and decide not to give you an acceptance, but to put you back on the waitlist? In other words, did they give you a fresh shot at gaining acceptance without going through the whole waitlist thing again?

Also, did you ask them if they offer deferred acceptances off waitlists? That happened to me, and now I'm relaxing for a year!

HEre is my stats

GPA 3.2
Science GPA 3.4
DAT 20/17

you have great stats. I dont know why you were waitlisted

HEre is my stats

GPA 3.2
Science GPA 3.4
DAT 20/17

Waitlisted? At NYU?

Crap, my rejection letter is on the way.

Ok, just to clairify:

Did NYU automatically put you on this year's waitlist? Or did they look at your stats and everything, and decide not to give you an acceptance, but to put you back on the waitlist? In other words, did they give you a fresh shot at gaining acceptance without going through the whole waitlist thing again?

Also, did you ask them if they offer deferred acceptances off waitlists? That happened to me, and now I'm relaxing for a year!

I am, too, confused how this is done. I was put on the waiting list in Jan while people who interviewed after me got in. Apparently my file was in a low priority pile. All i was offered was to keep my file active and keep the status instead of having me ro re-apply through AADSAS. they sent me a letter in October saying that my status has been updated to waitlist for 2004 and along with it came a supplimental application with waived fee (same that you fill out at your interview). the explanation was that i'd need to update them with that application and some additional stuff so they have new things to judge me on.

I did not know that there was such an option of deferred acceptance. i wish if you had told us when you got yours (remember we were all confused when you got yours??) i'll call the school to ask. hops its not too late for that. i also hope they offer such thing.

Comet

i wish if you had told us when you got yours (remember we were all confused when you got yours??) i'll call the school to ask. hops its not too late for that. i also hope they offer such thing.

Comet

:laugh:

My apologies for not telling you to call nyu and ask them if they have deferred acceptances....yeesh!:rolleyes:

Comet,

I thought they asked you to re-write the DAT.
I am sure if you write it again and do well, they will accept you.
All the best!

HEre is my stats

GPA 3.2
Science GPA 3.4
DAT 20/17

Holy **** dude......thats crazy! Well, my hopes are shot down.....guess I gotta get ready to re-apply for the next cycle!

:(

Originally posted by avingupta
Holy **** dude......thats crazy! Well, my hopes are shot down.....guess I gotta get ready to re-apply for the next cycle!

:(

Yeah, those stats seem high for a waitlist at NYU. Maybe the competition is on the rise.

man this is bad news. nyu was the school i was hoping for.... and my stats are lower than highlanders:(

:laugh:

My apologies for not telling you to call nyu and ask them if they have deferred acceptances....yeesh!:rolleyes:

you got it all worng dude. i had never heard of deferred acceptance before. now lets chill.

Hopeful girl:

they did suggest to re-take the DAT and i did and i improved. i might take it again in a month hoping i'd do better. thx.

you got it all worng dude. i had never heard of deferred acceptance before. now lets chill.

Cool. :thumbup:

Don't get discouraged just because I am on the wait list! I am not even sure why this happened, but hopefully they will call me off the lilst! and best to you all!!

Comet, NYU just waitlisted a freind of mine with a 3.9 GPA science and non science from Hunter college. Amy knowles told her that her 17/17 DAT scores were low and recommended that she retake them. I wonder if those of us from last year are on the same list. :eek:

Okay, now Im getting scared. This is absolutely nuts. The one year I apply, NYU decides to try and act like Harvard. Unbelievable. My chances of starting dental school next August are slowly diminishing.

Looks like NYU is turning over a new leaf! Sucks to be me! But why would they offer me an interview then???

Calm down everyone. NYU has a class size of 200+. I doubt they will accept 200+ people with GPAs only over 3.5 and above.

Originally posted by avingupta
Looks like NYU is turning over a new leaf! Sucks to be me! But why would they offer me an interview then???

You definitely have a good shot. I guess they are just being more picky this year. If the interview goes well then anything can happen.

Gupta, I forgot to ask.

How did your interview go?

You guys will get a few more letters telling you what to do. That was just a "Thank God I'm in" letter.

I know I heard they are trying to boost thier stats here, but geez not taking a 3.4 and a 20.

Those are very close to my stats(3.4/3.4, 18/20), but I think my MBA(~3.7) helped me out here and a few other places (a hint if you don't get in this cycle).

I would say about 30-40% of my class is filled with people accepted after Jan, so just hang in there bec they fill spots until the first day of class.

Gupta, I forgot to ask.

How did your interview go?

Hey Dentaldream......the interview was short and to the point, asking only the typical questions as stated in the interview feedback. I had a great weekend in NYC with my friends....lots of fun including some random drunken adventures.

About the schools.......the sim labs were very very very nice and new......but my interview was on Dec. 1, the day of the board exams, so the school was a bit empty, so I didnt see the hectic atmosphere that SDNers have said about NYU.....but all and all, it was a really good school, and I would definitely go there.

I guess they are just being more picky this year.

When I was at NYU for an interview in November, they were talking about how the new dean is trying to make some major changes. They were very proud their lastest acreditation audit (it has a name i forgot) came back with NO recommendations and multiple commendations.

Maybe they are trying to also change their reputation as being "easier" to get into. But they still do have over 200 seats to fill, so who knows.

hey guys, it may be that NYU might be more picky this year, but dont be discouraged. I just found out i got accepted there, and I can tell you that I did not have stellar stats. I've been in the under 3.0 club for a long time now and im just so happy that i know im gonna be a student next year!!!!

Congratulation ohcdn ........ We're so proud of you.... Welcome to the Dental Class of 2008 Club. Please update the 2004 acceptance thread. :clap: :clap:

Originally posted by ohcdn
hey guys, it may be that NYU might be more picky this year, but dont be discouraged. I just found out i got accepted there, and I can tell you that I did not have stellar stats. I've been in the under 3.0 club for a long time now and im just so happy that i know im gonna be a student next year!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

congrats bud...go out and have some fun tonight.

I just received an acceptance letter from NYU today as well as another letter explaining the deadlines and the deposit. I am really surprised because I had a gut feeling I was going to get rejected. By the way, my DAT scores were low, so to all of you who are waiting to hear from NYU, be patient.

Its strange I still havent received my nyu interview i applied to 12 schools and received 10 interviews, went to three got into upenn and buffalo so far. I think they will fill half the class with people who have over 18 on the dat, the rest will be people who didnt get in anywhere else. I dont mean to slam nyu, but can anyone really say its their first choice after visiting other schools and taking price in mind. By the way i did see the nyu clinics and talked to the people currently there.

Amy,

Congrats on your acceptance. Could you please give us your stats??
thx

Comet

My GPA = 3.85. DAT= 18/20/16. I was never good at standardized tests. When I interviewed, 3 of the 4 students that met us for lunch hated it at NYU and said don't come here. The clinics are a little run down but compared to UW (I am a WA resident) NYU is gorgeous. I also think that at any school, students are going to hate school before finals (I interviewed Dec. 8th), so I took that into consideration.

I guess it depends on what the student likes... NYU is the kind of school where the gregarious/outgoing student attends-- Lots of students from all over the country/world (obviously) and right smack in the middle of a bustling city with hip hangouts just 15 minutes away (SoHo). A boon for those students who knows how to maintain a social life as well as respectable academic performance at the same time.

Definitely not the kind of school where one desires a slower pace of living and some peace and quiet! :D (Shoot, if you want peace and quiet, go to Buffalo-- That school is located on the edge of the *yawn* Safest City in the U.S. according to 2003 crime statistics).

Despite all the perceived negatives, there IS one very significant advantage to attending NYU: You will have the benefit of one of the largest patient pools of any dental school in the country-- 250,000 active comp care patients. If you attend NYU you will NEVER run short of patients for any kind of procedure during your time there.

Because of such abundant availability of patients, you will get to do a lot of procedures such as fixed prosthodontics and endo at NYU and learn to do them well-- And they happen to be some of the most lucrative-per-unit-time procedures in private practice for a general dentist!

Not to mention that the clinical rotations to the surrounding hospitals will expose you to lots of good stuff, like OMFS at Bellevue Hospital across the street, which is one of the busiest OMFS programs in the country (guaranteed you will get to see lots of stuff you won't otherwise see elsewhere). I've never actually scrubbed into an OR to assist procedures like mandibular recon or orthognathic surgery until I did my externship there.

Amy,

Thanks for sharing your stats with us. You have amazing GPA and above average DAT scores. why did you think that you were going to get rejected? were you not happy with the interview?

I think my PAT, Reading and Quant sections of my DAT suck, but oh well. I did not think I did good in my interview. I was soooo nervous. It was my first interview. My interviewer seemed to dislike many of my answers. I am from a very small town and I felt like he did not feel I could handle NYC. After he had interviewed me, I sat in a waiting room with other applicants. Many of their interviewers said goodbye as they left and mine just walked by and did not even look at me. But I made sure to write him a thank you card, so maybe that helped.