NYU announced a new med school in Long Island. Focus on primary care.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received the secondary application yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Threw my application in the ring here. I'm a traditional student with some significant primary care experience so we'll see how it goes!

Does anyone know if it's possible to change our personal statement before sending a the primary to this school? There's something I would really like to change (anyone who has reread their old writing would understand haha).

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if it's possible to change our personal statement before sending a the primary to this school? There's something I would really like to change (anyone who has reread their old writing would understand haha).
no chance, sorry to say

any secondaries yet? I mean i literally just submitted mine like 10 minutes ago haha but just trying to gauge a timeline

Reactions: 1 user
I got a secondary this afternoon and I submitted the primary last night

SECONDARY APPLICATION ESSAY PROMPTS

Please indicate which specialty you are interested in applying for (Please choose one):
Internal Medicine -- Pediatrics -- OB/Gyn -- Surgery

Please indicate your reasons for choosing this particular field. Please demonstrate for our admission committee how your previous health-related and non-health-related experiences and your personal attributes helped inform your decision. 2500 Words

(Optional) Applicants have occasionally had to overcome significant adversities in their lives. Our admission committee would be most interested not only in hearing about how you overcame such an adversity, but also how doing so helped you succeed. 2500 Words

(Optional) Please comment on any significant fluctuations in your academic record, or other application irregularities, not already addressed elsewhere. 2500 Words

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
If you had to pick 4 physicians to serve an area that previously had no doctors, I'm guessin that an internist, pediatrician, OB/Gyn and a general surgeon could conceivably meet much of the primary health needs of the population.

That's an interesting thought, but traditionally speaking gen surg is not considered a primary care field. I've heard one or two people try and make that argument to basically get laughed out of the room (usually by gen surgeons).

Is there such a thing as defined “primary care”? Seems sort of fluid. Ive even seen psychiatry sometimes described as primary care. There’s the obvious Family medicine, peds, and then ObGyn and IM are often included, and now general surgery?

Psychiatry is almost always considered a primary care field. I believe largely due to how traditionally easy it was to match combined with the severe shortage in the field. I've never actually heard anyone really argue passionately that it's not primary care, although I think you could make that argument for one or two the sub-specialties within the field (forensics comes to mind).

"NYU Long Island School of Medicine is proud to offer full-tuition scholarships for three years to all matriculated students who maintain satisfactory academic progress and professionalism standards, regardless of merit or financial need.

The bolded is an interesting little clause in that statement. Makes me curious as to what those standards will be, especially since they're mentioning professionalism and not just merit. I'm curious as to whether the school would potentially charge tuition for the final x semesters if they found out someone wanted to enter residency in another field. Not saying that would happen, but leaves a pretty large gray area without any specifics listed...

Please indicate which specialty you are interested in applying for (Please choose one):

I find this list very interesting. No FM or psych listed and inclusion of surgery makes it seem like they may really be targeting specific fields of shortage on LI and not just trying to train PCPs. @LizzyM , @gonnif any idea if there's enough FM and psych docs in the LI area?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are we getting screened for the secondary apps?
FWIW I'm pretty sure I was one of, if not the first to submit the primary and have not yet received the secondary. LM 70, have not yet been screened out after applying to 50 other schools. We'll likely just have to be patient if we haven't received it yet and see how things shake out

Reactions: 2 users
Yea from speaking with admissions, doesn’t seem like there are screenings. If so , I am sure they would list it on their website especially since it’s a truncated cycle

Shortage of docs on Long Island of any kind? No, this school is not, repeat, not targeting to add PC here. NYU is a national school and is just add to PC overall.

If this is the case then I'm legitimately baffled as to why FM and Psych aren't options for fields in the secondary. This would make me believe there's more of an agenda (likely publicity) here than simply creating PCPs.

If this is the case then I'm legitimately baffled as to why FM and Psych aren't options for fields in the secondary. This would make me believe there's more of an agenda (likely publicity) here than simply creating PCPs.

what publicity do they have to gain from not adding FM and Psych?

what publicity do they have to gain from not adding FM and Psych?

It's not that not having FM and psych would create publicity, it's that the program itself is more of a stunt for publicity since it's failing to address to two fields with the most significant shortages nationally.

It's not that not having FM and psych would create publicity, it's that the program itself is more of a stunt for publicity since it's failing to address to two fields with the most significant shortages nationally.
NYU Winthrop does not have a psych or FM residency program, so of course they can't offer those specialties for a guaranteed match.

The only other residencies they offer are in diagnostic rads, ortho, vascular, and pathology.

NYU Winthrop does not have a psych or FM residency program, so of course they can't offer those specialties for a guaranteed match.

The only other residencies they offer are in diagnostic rads, ortho, vascular, and pathology.

That makes sense then. I'm curious as to whether or not Winthrop would attempt to open programs in FM and psych if their experiment is successful in producing almost all primary care residents.

Just received the secondary. Lol

Reactions: 4 users
SECONDARY APPLICATION ESSAY PROMPTS

Please indicate your reasons for choosing this particular field. Please demonstrate for our admission committee how your previous health-related and non-health-related experiences and your personal attributes helped inform your decision. 2500 Words

(Optional) Applicants have occasionally had to overcome significant adversities in their lives. Our admission committee would be most interested not only in hearing about how you overcame such an adversity, but also how doing so helped you succeed. 2500 Words

(Optional) Please comment on any significant fluctuations in your academic record, or other application irregularities, not already addressed elsewhere. 2500 Words
2500 words? I'm assuming this is a mistake and they mean characters?

I got the secondary

Ahh, okay, I see the misunderstanding. I'd wager it is indeed a mistake on the part of whoever put up the secondary. Seems unlikely they have any interest in readying responses that long.

Ahh, okay, I see the misunderstanding. I'd wager it is indeed a mistake on the part of whoever put up the secondary. Seems unlikely they have any interest in readying responses that long.
Yeah that's what I think too

Secondary received. The Manhattan NYU prompts are all 2500 char I believe so likely a typo, I don't think the adcoms would want to quadruple their workload unless this is secretly a Duke-like secondary on steroids which is highly unlikely lmao

Is anyone having a problem with clicking the Submit button? For some reason it wont let me.

Is anyone having a problem with clicking the Submit button? For some reason it wont let me.
I am unable to fill in the secondary prompts as the "Page is Closed". Might be a problem on their part.

I am unable to fill in the secondary prompts as the "Page is Closed". Might be a problem on their part.
Maybe they are currently fixing the site to allow only 2500 characters

Maybe they are currently fixing the site to allow only 2500 characters
That could be the reason. I'll check in the morning to see if anything changes. If not I'll just email them about it.

Looks like it's fixed as of now, at least on my end.

Im assuming since people have already submitted, it wouldn't be fair to change it to 2500 characters- not sure though.

How many applications do you think they will get? Do you think that they will try to spread out the acceptances among the specialties that they mention?

I paid $0, idk if something was wrong it?
AAMC recently made a change to FAP which includes applying to 20 schools without a primary fee (up from 16). It seems like it’s effective this cycle, since I cannot see another reason why some people are not paying a fee while others are.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got my secondary, i applied like 2.5 hours ago, that was fast. LM 70

For the specialty that you designate on your secondary application, are you locked in or can you change your mind sometime during medical school?

Submitted. Wrote well past 2500 characters for the first prompt so it's possible to write more if you want. Also had no problem with uploading pdfs for updates, CVs, etc. Application was marked complete via email as soon as I submitted. And now for more waiting...

Submitted. Wrote well past 2500 characters for the first prompt so it's possible to write more if you want. Also had no problem with uploading pdfs for updates, CVs, etc. Application was marked complete via email as soon as I submitted. And now for more waiting...

The prompt indicated 2500 words, not characters.

Secondary received. The Manhattan NYU prompts are all 2500 char I believe so likely a typo, I don't think the adcoms would want to quadruple their workload unless this is secretly a Duke-like secondary on steroids which is highly unlikely lmao

The prompt indicated 2500 words, not characters.

Some people's secondaries were corrected to 2500 characters. Obviously, the original limit of 2500 words was an error. I, for one, am glad that I got a little extra room to write about my experiences.

If we do our essay on say OB but later decide we want to take the conditional residency in PEDS, will we be able to switch?
Probably a dumb question but just asking. I know we can apply to other residencies but just wondering if we could pick any of the 4 conditional residencies when the time comes in Year 3