nyu, buffalo or Detroit Mercy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school should I attend?

• NYU

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Buffalo

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Detroit Mercy

Votes: 12 40.0%

• Total voters

akbansal22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to NYU, Buffalo and Detroit Mercy. Leaning towards either NYU or Buffalo but can't choose between the two. Buffalo is much closer to home (Toronto) and is roughly $380k while NYU has better clinical experience and is roughly $450k. Buffalo is struggling with their patient pool (the professor in my interview said that this is their biggest weakness). NYU has a much more diverse student population and the experience of living in NYC would be awesome. Any advice would be appreciated....Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yay another Canadian! What was your GPA/DAT? I'm applying next year :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted to NYU, Buffalo and Detroit Mercy. Leaning towards either NYU or Buffalo but can't choose between the two. Buffalo is much closer to home (Toronto) and is roughly $380k while NYU has better clinical experience and is roughly $450k. Buffalo is struggling with their patient pool (the professor in my interview said that this is their biggest weakness). NYU has a much more diverse student population and the experience of living in NYC would be awesome. Any advice would be appreciated....Thanks!

If you really are deciding between nyu and buffalo, I would pick buffalo. That 70k difference can become 120k+ over the years with interest. Also you are living in NYC to go to school do you think you'll have much time to go out??(I live in nj and have gone to the city hundreds of times and trust me, you'll get sick if clubbing after a while...)

If I were you I'd pick Detroit. Granted the school isn't in a great area but you will have no problem finding patients AND their tuition is cheaper than buffalo or nyu. (Just over 300k)

If you really are deciding between nyu and buffalo, I would pick buffalo. That 70k difference can become 120k+ over the years with interest. Also you are living in NYC to go to school do you think you'll have much time to go out??(I live in nj and have gone to the city hundreds of times and trust me, you'll get sick if clubbing after a while...)

If I were you I'd pick Detroit. Granted the school isn't in a great area but you will have no problem finding patients AND their tuition is cheaper than buffalo or nyu. (Just over 300k)
The cost of Detroit Mercy is the same as buffalo ($380k) for OOS

Both UDM and Buffalo are great schools. I was split on which one I would have chosen last year as well. I probably would have chosen UDM in the end, but you cant go wrong. From what I remember, Buffalo has an 'electronic curriculum', which some people like and some people don't (I didnt really like the concept tbh). I'd take that in to consideration. Being Canadian, you're best option for living would probably be Windsor if you choose UDM, so keep the probable need for a car/nexus pass-thing in mind too. I was told last year that Buffalo is going be undergoing major renovation, so you may want to look into what changes that may bring (if any).

Good luck.

udm does NOT cost 380k

I just got my acceptance package today and the cost of tuition is ~280k without living..
I meant the overall cost (including living and everything else) is the same. I have received the acceptance package from both Buffalo & UDM...the costs are practically identical. (around 280k for tuition/educational expenses and 380k including everything)

Both UDM and Buffalo are great schools. I was split on which one I would have chosen last year as well. I probably would have chosen UDM in the end, but you cant go wrong. From what I remember, Buffalo has an 'electronic curriculum', which some people like and some people don't (I didnt really like the concept tbh). I'd take that in to consideration. Being Canadian, you're best option for living would probably be Windsor if you choose UDM, so keep the probable need for a car/nexus pass-thing in mind too. I was told last year that Buffalo is going be undergoing major renovation, so you may want to look into what changes that may bring (if any).

Good luck.

Not sure what you mean by 'electronic curriculum' because we definitely go to all of our classes in person and not over the computer? Getting electronic books is an option but it's not required, lots of people like myself have the real textbooks. Most professors use power point lectures but I don't think that could be considered an electronic curriculum.

Also I'm not sure what professor claims we are struggling with our patient pool but I've never talked to an upperclassmen who didn't have more than enough patients or finished their graduation reqs early (I mean like, it's December and they've been done since late Oct)

udm does NOT cost 380k

I just got my acceptance package today and the cost of tuition is ~280k without living..
AVB can you pm or share the cost breakdown of UDM excluding esr. Living cost?

Not sure what you mean by 'electronic curriculum' because we definitely go to all of our classes in person and not over the computer? Getting electronic books is an option but it's not required, lots of people like myself have the real textbooks. Most professors use power point lectures but I don't think that could be considered an electronic curriculum.

The thing with the electronic curriculum was just mentioned to us during our interview last year and the administration and upper years were just telling us how that transition had lead to mixed opinions. But, if it's like you say, and it obviously is since you go there, then I dont see what can can get 'mixed opinions'. Seems like a pretty normal system. I don't know much more about it than that (so I probably shouldn't have said anything about it). I didn't mean to misrepresent Buffalo.

UDM. Cheaper plus better clinical experience. I was also accepted into UDM and was thoroughly impressed by the school. I remember seeing tons of Canadians too when I interviewed.