*********NYU Class of 2011*********

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tch001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else considering NYU next year? I'm pretty sure that's where I'm going to end up :D

Who's going to second look weekend?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I just got my acceptance letter today (email last week, but it's nice to see in print). I do research at NYU so if anyone has any questions about the hospital or the area, I can try to answer. I'll probably be at 2nd look :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I saw tch001's post in pre-allo and thought I would give this thread some love.
I really loved my interview experience at NYU, and I could definitely see myself at this school (Manhattan + Bellevue = awesome!)--- still trying to make some decisions though. I was hoping to go to second look, but unfortunately, it might be too difficult to miss class. Anybody planning on going to 2nd look?

Hi! I saw tch001's post in pre-allo and thought I would give this thread some love.
I really loved my interview experience at NYU, and I could definitely see myself at this school (Manhattan + Bellevue = awesome!)--- still trying to make some decisions though. I was hoping to go to second look, but unfortunately, it might be too difficult to miss class. Anybody planning on going to 2nd look?

I am! Anyone else?

hey...this is my first time posting on SDN but I'm really excited to be part of the NYU Class of 2011!!!...I just received the acceptance e-mail on the 18th but I still don't have the acceptance package...when is the 2nd look?

Congrats everyone on your acceptances to NYU. I really like it here, but if you have any questions I'll try my best to give non-biased responses.

P.S. Go to the 2nd look if you can, that was what sealed the deal for me last year. I seriously considered several other schools, but ultimately believe I made the best choice for me. Good luck!

Congrats everyone on your acceptances to NYU. I really like it here, but if you have any questions I'll try my best to give non-biased responses.

P.S. Go to the 2nd look if you can, that was what sealed the deal for me last year. I seriously considered several other schools, but ultimately believe I made the best choice for me. Good luck!

thanks dakota! mind giving us a synopsis of what other schools you were considering and why you ultimately chose NYU?

I'll be at Second Look weekend! :D
Really excited to get to go back to NYU. Anyone staying for the events on March 3rd too?

thanks dakota! mind giving us a synopsis of what other schools you were considering and why you ultimately chose NYU?

Letting NYU languish on pg 2? For shame . . .

I had no idea where I wanted to go, so I applied and interviewed everywhere. After attending a bunch of second looks, etc I basically decided I liked really big medical centers. The reason is there are lots of physicians in every specialty. This is important because the medical students never overwhelm the physicians. Thus far I've observed surgeries, spent time in the ER, etc, etc and I'm not competing with my fellow students for opportunities and attention, there's plenty to go around for all. You are really only limited by your desire/ability to put yourself out there and make opportunities.

However, I discovered most large medical centers are in neighborhoods in which you don't want to live (think Miami and LA). So, the students all commute 30 minutes, maybe even an hour each way. Everyone scatters into the city.

I really like that I have Bellevue, Tisch, and the VA all within a few blocks. I live in a great neighborhood in Manhattan. My commute to class is shorter than any other medical students in the country with the exception of the people living on the floors below me.

Want to go over a few things in anatomy lab with your friend at 10pm? No problem, b/c it's inside the building in which you live. Have a question about the material you're studying? Knock on the door of the guy living next to you. And if he's not in, hit up the next door. Curious about 2nd year? Ask the MSII living across the hall.

I didn't choose NYU based on US News rankings. In the end the advantages of the location and living situation really sold me. What cemented the decsion was all the great people I met at revisit weekend. No, not everyone who attends revisit will attend NYU, but it gives you a good idea of the type of people interested in NYU. In the end I stayed in touch with a few people from revisit and the three of us all came to NYU.

And living in a dorm at NYU is a lot cheaper than an apt in any city I was considering.

If you guys have any questions don't hesitate to PM me, I'm not great about checking all the NYU threads regularly.

So, who all is attending second look weekend

I'll be there

Members don't see this ad :)
bump, second look next weekend!

I think I'm going up thursday night and staying for the events saturday night too. Will I see any other SDNers at the optional thursday night check in thing?

bump, second look next weekend!

I think I'm going up thursday night and staying for the events saturday night too. Will I see any other SDNers at the optional thursday night check in thing?

I'll be there, I'm arriving early on thurs (1pm-ish)

Who else is excited for next weekend?!?! :D I'm coming in Thursday afternoon (I still need to buy my bus ticket) and leaving Sunday or possibly Monday. I have a lot of friends in NYC, so I might stay up there a couple extra days.

does anyone know if there is a dress code for the revisit weekend?

What did you guys think after second look? I really really liked the school :D I think I'm probably going there.

I wasn't able to make it to 2nd look -- can someone fill me in with their thoughts about the day?

I wasn't able to make it to 2nd look -- can someone fill me in with their thoughts about the day?

I really enjoyed the second look. The students were amazing, both the fellow applicants and the current NYU medical students. They really stressed that this is a place where you can both learn a lot, get great clinical skills, and have fun (something I really didn't think would happen a lot in medical school!) The tour of Bellvue was great (besides for the prisoner that tried to vomit on me in the ER, talk about real patient contact), but what really convinced me was talking to the 3rd and 4th years in small groups and then the 1st and 2nd years at the muesum reception. The things you get to do on the wards are incredible!! One girl told us about how she had to cut into somone's leg in the trauma center one night to relieve pressure (like Cali from Grey's anatomy!) At Bellevue, we'll see everything and participate in (almost) everything procedure wise too. Also, I was really impressed on how much the school encourages the students to have fun and experience everything the city has to offer. I'm about 99% after revisit weekend that NYU is where I'm going to end up :) Anyone else here going to be my future classmate?

I really enjoyed the second look. The students were amazing, both the fellow applicants and the current NYU medical students. They really stressed that this is a place where you can both learn a lot, get great clinical skills, and have fun (something I really didn't think would happen a lot in medical school!) The tour of Bellvue was great (besides for the prisoner that tried to vomit on me in the ER, talk about real patient contact), but what really convinced me was talking to the 3rd and 4th years in small groups and then the 1st and 2nd years at the muesum reception. The things you get to do on the wards are incredible!! One girl told us about how she had to cut into somone's leg in the trauma center one night to relieve pressure (like Cali from Grey's anatomy!) At Bellevue, we'll see everything and participate in (almost) everything procedure wise too. Also, I was really impressed on how much the school encourages the students to have fun and experience everything the city has to offer. I'm about 99% after revisit weekend that NYU is where I'm going to end up :) Anyone else here going to be my future classmate?

Yeah, the opportunity to learn at Bellevue is one of the things I like best about NYU. I really felt that the school is committed to aiding the underserved, and there are a lot of opportunities for students with global interests (even without leaving NY). Where else can you actually take medical Chinese?!?! Right now, I'm mostly deciding between NYU and one other school (and waiting to see what happens in March). NYC would definitely be a great place to spend the next four years!

Hi guys,

I got accepted back in December but couldn't make revisit due to comprehensive exams being on the same day at my school...lame.

I spent a summer doing research (SURP '05 represent) at NYU so I can answer any questions. The hospital is sweet but it kind of sucks that they have no dedicated peds facility. The research labs, especially the new building (which wasn't there when I was!!) are awesome. The faculty that I've met are really friendly, and the students pretty laid back.

Also, for those of you who don't know NYC, NYU SOM is in a pretty nice part, at least compared to Columbia. There is a lot of food nearby and Washington Square isn't that far away, especially with the free shuttle buses. If only the subway stopped closer....

hello all! although NYU was not my absolute first choice, I still majorly love it and am delighted to be starting in fall for the class of 2011! ( unless my first choice takes me off waitlist but I will be stoked to attend either one) ...I could not make second look due to a conference conflict, how did everything go? my only major reservation with NYU was the first year living situation...were the dorms as bad/small as it seemed on interview day? I think I would have to sell/store about half my stuff to fit into one of those boxes they call rooms but the location is unbeatable and the price is amazing for murray hill...anywho second look feedback would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

yooo, really psyched bout bein at nyu next year!!!!! congrats buddys, holllllllllllllllllla

hello all! although NYU was not my absolute first choice, I still majorly love it and am delighted to be starting in fall for the class of 2011! ( unless my first choice takes me off waitlist but I will be stoked to attend either one) ...I could not make second look due to a conference conflict, how did everything go? my only major reservation with NYU was the first year living situation...were the dorms as bad/small as it seemed on interview day? I think I would have to sell/store about half my stuff to fit into one of those boxes they call rooms but the location is unbeatable and the price is amazing for murray hill...anywho second look feedback would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

The dorms didn't seem that bad, although I have to admit that is definitely my biggest negative about NYU. The dorm rooms on the first floor seem the nicest, because they have lofted beds so there is more floor space. Also, I heard the higher you go up, the less the water pressure in the showers. I'm crossing my fingers for a room on the first floor (think if I call and beg it will help?)

Re: the dorms...All I can say is that they are a LOT nicer than Columbia's (no hate guys, even though you waitlisted me, really...). And you can live in apts in later years. Of course, since I'm getting married, they don't really have anything for me and the financial aid doesn't look like it's going to help me out...sigh :( how I love NYC but hate the prices!!

The dorms didn't seem that bad, although I have to admit that is definitely my biggest negative about NYU. The dorm rooms on the first floor seem the nicest, because they have lofted beds so there is more floor space. Also, I heard the higher you go up, the less the water pressure in the showers. I'm crossing my fingers for a room on the first floor (think if I call and beg it will help?)

Keep in mind that if you live on a lower floor you're more likely to have problems with rats/insects. The middle floors are the way to go.

My impressions from second look weekend

Dorms: Obviously, this is the weakest link at NYU. Even though many consider it a negative it is easy to turn into a positive. Dorm life is great as a first year because you have the opportunity to meet and get involved with 90% of your first year class (and a lot of second years). It can really be an icebreaker for the shy ones. The rooms are big enough to live in, but the bathrooms can be cramped. Like tch said the first floor rooms are larger.

Student Life: NYC and all the opportunities it provides as a city - need I say more? Students are on the younger side and there is a work hard/play hard atmosphere. However, the class is large enough that you can find your niche group and hang out with them.

Academics/Research: The professors are very accessible. NYU provides great research opportunities in vary degrees of commitment. You have the option of getting into MD/PhD after your first year, taking a year off to be an HHMI fellow, or doing research in the summers (Honors program). Students are encouraged to pursue any of these paths and there seems to be plenty of positions available. Bottom line: If you want to go into a specific specialty and are motivated to do so NYU will help you and you will match well.

Clinical: Tisch, Bellevue, and the VA combine to provide unbeatable clinical experiences. Tisch is a private hospital - learn good bedside manners and use high end equipment. At Bellevue the first years have the opportunity to get their hands dirty and participate in many surgical procedures many students don't get to do until their clinical rotations. Not to mention the patient diversity (you can look up these stats yourself). At the VA you can spend hours practicing your H&Ps and reap all the other benefits a VA hospital has to offer.

I'm sure I've missed plenty of things, I hope others feel free to add and comment as necessary.

My impressions from second look weekend

Dorms: Obviously, this is the weakest link at NYU. Even though many consider it a negative it is easy to turn into a positive. Dorm life is great as a first year because you have the opportunity to meet and get involved with 90% of your first year class (and a lot of second years). It can really be an icebreaker for the shy ones. The rooms are big enough to live in, but the bathrooms can be cramped. Like tch said the first floor rooms are larger.

Student Life: NYC and all the opportunities it provides as a city - need I say more? Students are on the younger side and there is a work hard/play hard atmosphere. However, the class is large enough that you can find your niche group and hang out with them.

Academics/Research: The professors are very accessible. NYU provides great research opportunities in vary degrees of commitment. You have the option of getting into MD/PhD after your first year, taking a year off to be an HHMI fellow, or doing research in the summers (Honors program). Students are encouraged to pursue any of these paths and there seems to be plenty of positions available. Bottom line: If you want to go into a specific specialty and are motivated to do so NYU will help you and you will match well.

Clinical: Tisch, Bellevue, and the VA combine to provide unbeatable clinical experiences. Tisch is a private hospital - learn good bedside manners and use high end equipment. At Bellevue the first years have the opportunity to get their hands dirty and participate in many surgical procedures many students don't get to do until their clinical rotations. Not to mention the patient diversity (you can look up these stats yourself). At the VA you can spend hours practicing your H&Ps and reap all the other benefits a VA hospital has to offer.

I'm sure I've missed plenty of things, I hope others feel free to add and comment as necessary.

i'd say that's a really good summary! after finding out about my probable harvard rejection today, i'm about 95% sure i will be attending NYU (and possibly going early to do research for the honors program). yay NYU! :D

That is great to hear about the NYU research opportunities during medical school.. I am also a SURP alum and can attest that the PIs at NYU are very accessible and open to having medical students get some lab experience and the skirball institute is an AMAZING facility..also sloan-kettering and rockefeller are just down the road and also have summer research experiences for medical students...i just wish they would show their med students the same love they show their grad students with the living situation...the grad student living we saw during SURP was high-rise apartment style living with sweeping window views of the river..ho-hum I guess the dorm thing is really only for one year and with classes/studying and the city life, I don't foresee really being in the room all that much so I think can deal with it, I will just have to get rid of half of my stuff after 4 years of apartment living....anyone else out there who hasn't lived in a dorm in about ohhh 4 years or more?

Hey Husky what SURP year were you? I was there in '05. I've met a few others along the interview circuit...

That is great to hear about the NYU research opportunities during medical school.. I am also a SURP alum and can attest that the PIs at NYU are very accessible and open to having medical students get some lab experience and the skirball institute is an AMAZING facility..also sloan-kettering and rockefeller are just down the road and also have summer research experiences for medical students...i just wish they would show their med students the same love they show their grad students with the living situation...the grad student living we saw during SURP was high-rise apartment style living with sweeping window views of the river..ho-hum I guess the dorm thing is really only for one year and with classes/studying and the city life, I don't foresee really being in the room all that much so I think can deal with it, I will just have to get rid of half of my stuff after 4 years of apartment living....anyone else out there who hasn't lived in a dorm in about ohhh 4 years or more?

Hey Husky what SURP year were you? I was there in '05. I've met a few others along the interview circuit...

hey wait a minute, I must have missed it when you said you were '05, but yeah I was also 2005...drunken times with crazy eddie as our leader haha..hmm and considering I think we only had one SURP who was married, I think i have deciphered your secret SDN identity haha, so yeah it is looking more and more like NYU will be my home for the next 4 years which I can't complain about, that summer rocked..I am guessing the whole med school thing might be a bit more intense though..any other former SURPies out there heading to NYU come fall?

hey wait a minute, I must have missed it when you said you were '05, but yeah I was also 2005...drunken times with crazy eddie as our leader haha..hmm and considering I think we only had one SURP who was married, I think i have deciphered your secret SDN identity haha, so yeah it is looking more and more like NYU will be my home for the next 4 years which I can't complain about, that summer rocked..I am guessing the whole med school thing might be a bit more intense though..any other former SURPies out there heading to NYU come fall?

Ah, but I wasn't married then (not getting married until July). So hah! You know me not...(wait, who was married?!)

Eddie is a crazy, crazy, crazy man and I miss him.

edit: but, I was the one who asked Joel about married student housing like on day two. (we've been engaged a while...) so perhaps it is me...hmm.

yooooo, someone said somethin bout research before first year, would be lookin forward to tha, any idea how to get into tha? who to contact?

I was wondering how difficult it would be to start a family while at NYU medical school as opposed to a more family-friendly school in a smaller town. I know it's going to be hard anywhere, clearly, but does NYU have any resources for students with families or are students discriminated against (explicitly or implicitly) for starting a family? NYU's class is generally very young and I wanted to see if anyone had started a family while in school there or how students who were a little older at the beginning of medical school (25-27) feel about NYU's young atmosphere. Thank you.

yooooo, someone said somethin bout research before first year, would be lookin forward to tha, any idea how to get into tha? who to contact?

It sounds like you're interested in the honors program which can be found here:

http://www.med.nyu.edu/honors

I believe you can click cancel when it asks for your username/password to bypass it.

The program is run by Dr. Ulane but you need to speak to his assistant, Cindy Meador to get to him. Her contact info is:

[email protected]
(212-263-3767)

She can be a little spacey sometime, FYI.

Otherwise, students usually just search the med.nyu.edu site for researchers and contact them on their own. Speaking to department heads in the area in which you're interested is usually a good jumping-off point.

I was wondering how difficult it would be to start a family while at NYU medical school as opposed to a more family-friendly school in a smaller town. I know it's going to be hard anywhere, clearly, but does NYU have any resources for students with families or are students discriminated against (explicitly or implicitly) for starting a family? NYU's class is generally very young and I wanted to see if anyone had started a family while in school there or how students who were a little older at the beginning of medical school (25-27) feel about NYU's young atmosphere. Thank you.

Sorry I can't help you out on the little older aspect (I'm fresh out of college) but there are a surprising number of first years who are married or in long-term relationships. I think all of us live off-campus this year although couples/family housing is available through the school. I think you're giving a studio apartment unless you have a child or are pregnant, then you can get a one bedroom. I could REALLY be wrong though, so speak to housing. I don't know of any first years who have families already but I do know of one student who is pregnant and timed her conception so that she'll have her baby at the start of summer.

thanks a ton, seems like it is set up for people once they get set up already at nyu and are a semester or so in, but can't hurt to contact, thanks a ton for the info!

thanks a ton, seems like it is set up for people once they get set up already at nyu and are a semester or so in, but can't hurt to contact, thanks a ton for the info!

No prob. Also, if you do decide to go the Honors Program route, a lot of students actually do start the program the summer before starting their first year so don't feel weird about getting into contact with people before you arrive next year.

No prob. Also, if you do decide to go the Honors Program route, a lot of students actually do start the program the summer before starting their first year so don't feel weird about getting into contact with people before you arrive next year.

I really wanted to do research the summer before my first year, so I contacted Cindy and I got this reply:

It was great reading your email. We look forward to you being involved in
student research and hope that you do at least some of that through the
Honors Program.

Unfortunately, the medical school is distributing incorrect information. I
am working on that. To date, we have had more than one request to become
involved with Honors prior to beginning classes. While this has been done
in the past, it is no longer allowed.

We request that students have at least one semester of medical school before
applying to the Honors Program. You are most welcome to contact faculty
members on your own about the research opportunities available in their
labs. As you know, we have an outstanding medical parasitology department
at NYU. We of course, hope that at some point you will qualify as an Honors
student and obtain Honors credit.

Please stop by my office when you arrive at NYU and we can visit further.
If you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you,
Cindy Meador

:(

Thank you Tony for the contact info for Cindy. I have been trying to chase down the honors program contact for a week now. I e-mailed and called admissions (no answer), called the dean who gave the research talk at revisit, Dr. Oppenheim, who redirected me to Dr. Ulane who never called me back. I'm happy to at least have an answer now and I think I'm going to try contacting some PIs to see maybe if they have room for me in their lab this summer.

Thanks for getting the info on the honors program -- I defintely plan to do that after the first year of med school if I go to NYU. Has anyone heard anything further about financial aid from NYU? I know they said we probably wouldn't receive our financial aid stuff until April, but I just thought I'd check. I'm praying that they will feel generous this year!

Thanks for getting the info on the honors program -- I defintely plan to do that after the first year of med school if I go to NYU. Has anyone heard anything further about financial aid from NYU? I know they said we probably wouldn't receive our financial aid stuff until April, but I just thought I'd check. I'm praying that they will feel generous this year!

I got financial aid info from them quite a while ago. Basically you just submit FAFSA and your taxes / parent taxes...however, they process your aid even w/o the taxes -- they are just for verification. Talking to the director of FinAid, although their grad debt isn't high, the amount of $$$ they give out isn't extremely high either...hmm.

Unless, of course, you mean have I heard anything BACK from them, in which case the answer is no :D

I got financial aid info from them quite a while ago. Basically you just submit FAFSA and your taxes / parent taxes...however, they process your aid even w/o the taxes -- they are just for verification. Talking to the director of FinAid, although their grad debt isn't high, the amount of $$$ they give out isn't extremely high either...hmm.

Unless, of course, you mean have I heard anything BACK from them, in which case the answer is no :D

Sorry, should have specified. I was wondering if anyone heard anything back from them after sending in their finaid info. I'd love to be in NYC (and I <3 NYU), but it's going to come down to a financial decision I think.

Sorry, should have specified. I was wondering if anyone heard anything back from them after sending in their finaid info. I'd love to be in NYC (and I <3 NYU), but it's going to come down to a financial decision I think.

bump!

yea i haven't heard back from them about financial aid stuff either. i'm crossing my fingers that nyu won't be ridiculously more expensive than other schools.

anybody have the match list for nyu? specifically, where are they going for radiology??

anybody have the match list for nyu? specifically, where are they going for radiology??

I would also very much like to see NYU's match list in all fields if possible...any current NYU students out there with access to this?? :D

I would also very much like to see NYU's match list in all fields if possible...any current NYU students out there with access to this?? :D

rumor has it that no electronic version is available yet