NYU College of Dentistry and Nursing...nurses please read

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3rdMolarRoller

User Account Deleted
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are only a handfull of nurses on this site, but could you please click the link below and tell me what you think. It deals with the nursing school becoming part of the dental school.

Specifically, could you read the memo from Dean Alfano starting on the second page of the thread.

All input is greatly appreciated. Please post the good and the bad.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=165958&page=2&pp=20

Members don't see this ad.

No input... there has to be atleast one person out of 118 hits with an opinion on this.

I mean, how would nursing students like to deal with dental students? We would not be taking classes together...just sharing a name on a diploma bec the dental school wants to take nurse research dollars....so sad :(

hey there!

I'm a nursing stude. i don't think it would be good to combine the two schools. nursing has an entirely different approach and culture as compared to dentistry. in our country, I've never heard of a combined nursing-dentistry school. they are always two separate entities, and they have nothing in common. Dentists (considered doctors) are way different from nurses.

just my thoughts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same feeling here. I just do not see how or why nurse's going for their bachelor degree would be studying docterate level courses.

The word on the street is that the nursing school is in bad shape money wise and this is a way to funnel money from the dental school into the nursing school.

I know nurses are in high demand, but if the program can't be kept up then it should be shut down.

I just want to know why the medical school fought tooth and nail to keep the nurses from joining up with them

I see how the nurses work at my wifes office (they are work horses) and I feel bad that the school is being tossed around like a rag doll. More respect needs to be given to this profession

From the memo: "At each of these meetings there was no objection to the combination of these two areas by anyone present. Indeed, there was always great enthusiasm for the combination, and at the March meeting of the general faculty, after I encouraged the faculty to focus on any possible negatives for this combination, not a single objection was made. At that time in a vote of the large number of faculty members present, all votes were in favor of a combination of dentistry and nursing at NYU. The absence of any objections in about 10 meetings of both the leadership and general faculty of the College, plus the completely affirmative vote of the faculty at the March meeting that led to the statement that the dental faculty had unanimous support for the concept."

Just because none of the administrators disapproved of the concept doesn't mean that it's A-OK already. have they asked the students' opinions? :confused:

Brocnizer2007 said:
Same feeling here. I just do not see how or why nurse's going for their bachelor degree would be studying docterate level courses.
yeah, you're right.

The word on the street is that the nursing school is in bad shape money wise and this is a way to funnel money from the dental school into the nursing school.
I know nurses are in high demand, but if the program can't be kept up then it should be shut down.
The admin must invest in the nursing school (if they want to, even look for other sources of funds)because lots of people will surely enroll in this course since it's in demand.

I just want to know why the medical school fought tooth and nail to keep the nurses from joining up with them.
um, were there plans of combining the med school with the nursing school????? now, that's not so good. I'd presume the admin turned to the dentistry school instead?[/QUOTE]

The nursing program went originaly to the med school to combine. But the med school wanted no part in this

So, the admin then went to the dental school. From my understanding, the Pres of NYU essentaially said that we dental people have no choice and the dean of the dental school is going along with it bec he wants to keep his job. If he objects to the merger, most likely he will not be the dean of the new college. If he blows smoke up our a$$'s like he is and tries to justify it with non-sense, he will proably be the dean of the new school.

There is no rhyme or reason for this merger...there is no common sense involved. This is all a political/admin merger to funnel money.

They should just out right come and say it.

Now I think this would have been smoother it they did something like: NYU college of Health and within this college of health have a school of dentistry and nursing

This way nursing students study with their people and Graduate from the school of nursing and the dental people study with their like and graduate from school of dentistry. And since they are part of the same college they share funds and maybe classroom space, but not share classes together. All of our classes, even basic science are geared towards a dentist...in no way shape or form would that help a nurse.

just my 2 cents