NYU College of Dentistry Class of 2026 Interview/Acceptance Thread

artist2022

DDS 🦷🎓✔
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Members don't see this ad :)
I paid the fee and set up the NYU portal, but my status is still "None". Just wonder if it is the same for everyone else

Did anyone who submitted near end of August receive the supplementary fee? I haven't yet. Been awhile

Does NYU have a secondary this year with additional questions? I saw like from past years the secondary included a fee and additional questions? But I only see pay the fee option for my supplement

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys know if we have to send our official transcripts directly to NYU dental? because when i recently checked my portal they had all my unofficial transcripts even though I sent all official ones through AADSAS. Plus, It said that my application is complete and under review so I was a bit confused. Any ideas?

Do you guys know if we have to send our official transcripts directly to NYU dental? because when i recently checked my portal they had all my unofficial transcripts even though I sent all official ones through AADSAS. Plus, It said that my application is complete and under review so I was a bit confused. Any ideas?
I think this is more for like sending transcripts that show your completed classes after you applied.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know when NYUCD give out interview invites? I know a lot of other schools have been sending them out since August, but NYU seems to be a little later than that.

Does anyone know when NYUCD give out interview invites? I know a lot of other schools have been sending them out since August, but NYU seems to be a little later than that.
I believe they start sending out invites starting in October

Last year, I think they began to send them out mid-October (around Oct 12th). Does anyone know if it will be the same this cycle?

Does anyone know if the interviews are going to be in person or virtual?

Congrats! What are your stats and when did you apply if you don't mind me asking?
Thank you and Ofc!

Interview #2
School: NYU
Notification date: 09/30
Method of notification: Email
Residency: IS
AADSAS mail-outdate: 09/13
Application complete date: 09/20
GPA (science, overall): 3.4/3.5
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24/21/20/30/No
Dates available: 10/06 - 10/08
Method of Interview: Virtual

Reactions: 1 users
Interview #3
Residency: OOS
AADSAS mail-outdate: 07/29
Application complete date: 08/01
GPA (science, overall): 3.5/3.6
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/20/22/24/No

Interview #4
Residency: IS
AADSAS mail-outdate: 6/12
Application complete date: 7/13
GPA (science, overall): 3.4/3.5
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 25/26/25/20/No
Do they let you choose the day and time?

Interview #3
Notification date: 10/01
AADSAS mail-out date: 06/18
Application complete date: 06/22
GPA (science, overall): 3.85/3.82
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 25/24/25/23/No
Dates available: 10/13-15, 10/19-22, 10/26-29

I just wanna say that it's a forever waiting process in this cycle. BUT, DON'T EVER LOSE FAITH PAL!

Interview #6
Notification date: 10/1
AADSAS mail-out date: Early June
Application complete date: Late June
GPA (science, overall): 3.35, 3.44
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading any section below a 17): 22/22/22/21, no
Dates available OR your interview date: 10/21 or 10/22
Method of interview: Virtual

Hi everyone. Does anyone know how often they will be sending interview invites for this cycle?

Just remember youre anticipating around $800k in debt with interest during these uncertain times. Unless youre willing to drop 2-5 year contract in rural midwest, dont expect to pay off the debt any time soon. Not to mention that NYU is a terribly operated organization. I cannot speak for NYU as a whole, but NYUCD has very suboptimal administration.

Just remember youre anticipating around $800k in debt with interest during these uncertain times. Unless youre willing to drop 2-5 year contract in rural midwest, dont expect to pay off the debt any time soon. Not to mention that NYU is a terribly operated organization. I cannot speak for NYU as a whole, but NYUCD has very suboptimal administration.
what do you mean by "a terribly operated organization"?

Do you all just make up random numbers and then hit submit? Last two years it was 700k, which was highly unlikely as per my calculations, and now it's 800k.

Do you all just make up random numbers and then hit submit? Last two years it was 700k, which was highly unlikely as per my calculations, and now it's 800k.
I agree and I don't think 800k is a fair number. As per my calculation, it is most likely 500k for me since I would be living with my parents.

Does anyone know if they will send out more interviews for October? or how often do they send out interviews?

I agree and I don't think 800k is a fair number. As per my calculation, it is most likely 500k for me since I would be living with my parents.
Same, and ironically that is one of the reasons that NYU is not a bad choice (if you already live here). Some of my commuter classmates bring their own lunch and I be that knocks off another ~$10k-$20k as well.

Outside of very extenuating circumstances, like having to repeat a year at full tuition, or you're somehow spending $5.5k+ a month, it's very literally impossible to owe $800k by graduation. Studentloanplanner released a post a year or two ago that said NYU students owed $700k by graduation and I proved that the math they used was pretty bad. Now, this guy's claiming 800k. NYU full loans doesn't even add up to 800k even with interest. These people just like making up numbers.

Does anyone know if they will send out more interviews for October? or how often do they send out interviews?
They send out interviews in waves throughout the year. They will keep doing that until like April or even May. It's still early, I remember submitting my app 2 years ago in late November and I got an interview invite like a week later.

They send out interviews in waves throughout the year. They will keep doing that until like April or even May. It's still early, I remember submitting my app 2 years ago in late November and I got an interview invite like a week later.
I submitted my application in mid-July and I haven't heard anything till now. I hope to hear from them soon cause it's making me anxious. Do you know if more will send more interviews for November? Honestly, I just want to start 2022 knowing where am I gonna go :).

Reactions: 1 users
It's 600k including living costs

Depends on the student. I'm in medical school and I have classmates who owed $200k+ at the beginning of M1. Many of them were first-gen who did either of the following 1) $50k+ for undergrad (since 90%+ of scholarships go to smart kids who tend to be wealthy) and they didn't get into rich schools that had need-based aid, 2) did an SMP (masters to "audition" for med/dental school), AND/OR another MPH or such on top. An SMP can be $30-$150k depending on the school (LECOM vs Georgetown, etc).

I have 4 classmates I can recall off the top of my head who hold 3-4 degrees (2 masters)

Something like 20-25% of med students have a masters degree (SMP or MPH, MBA, etc) if you look at the NRMP charting for residency matches. Idk the exact details for dentistry but I would assume it's similar. Many of my SMP classmates went the dental route and I know some who owed $120k+.

I remember seeing a dentistry student on IG who did two years (repeated year 1) at Boston, flunked out, then restarted from year 1 at Tufts. She will easily owe $900k+. Again, not sure about dentistry but at some of my friends' DO schools 5-8% of the class remediates a few classes or the entire year. Thankfully remediation is virtually non-existent at my (MD) school and tuition is cheap.
Sure but that wouldn't be an NYU dental education would it? That's a culmination of all the school debt you or they got.

Does anyone know if they sent out any interviews recently for November?

Yes but that's the point. If NYU is $600k or if USC is $700k that might apply to say 25% of people. Another 25% might have parental help for all/part of it. Another 25% will have a master's degree (plus maybe no parental help) and will owe $900k+, another 25% might have scholarships etc. Point being that more often than not more people will be above it than below it, especially since these private schools rarely give out scholarships since so many people are lining up to pay sticker price.
That's not really what we mean when people talk about debt here. It's been well established that private schools are 500k+, and public schools are usually around 350k+. In neither of these circumstances have we added another 100k+ for undergrad and an SMP. NYU Dentistry alone is 635k+ for the usual out of state student and 500k for the usual in city student. Yes, both are still higher than public schools, but people get in way over their heads claiming weird numbers like 800k.
And get hit with a tax bomb. That $700-900k (for some people) will balloon to $1.5-$2m with minimal payments. After 20 years you would have paid $500k and still get hit with a $600k tax bomb.

^^ He went to USC when it cost 60% of what it does now (rent and tuition has skyrocketed since). He also isn't busting his tail (I know several orthos making $500k+ whereas he's camping and hiking daily making $200k/year).

What really sucks is that PSLF (no tax bomb) isn't really a good option for dentists since most places that qualify are miserable to work at. My dentist friend (<$250k debt - great school), working at a FQHC in Cali and he's getting a decent chunk paid off but will only do it for a couple of years then move into PP. Had he stayed in the midwest he would have made 90k more in salary (he's making $130k and had 200K+ offers here), PLUS he could have found a place that offers loan repayment for 3-5 year contract and it's cheap as hell to live here.

For us in medical. Anyone doing ortho/ENT/Ophtho/Radiology + fellowship can easily hit 6-9+ years of PSLF qualifying payments during residency+fellowship, then just finish out the rest of the 120 payments working a chill ass academic hospital job (pays less but u work less) and get our loan wiped out. Or if say 6 years Like rads/ENT/ophtho and jump straight into PP making so much bank that 2-300k in loans isn't a big deal. Even my family med friends are getting 290k + $25k sign on offers working 4.5 days/week.
The point of RE/PAYE is not to count how much you have paid in the end. The point is how much you end up with in the end. You have to let the minimal initial payments save you enough money to give you a head start in building up capital, assets, and have a good life before you need to pay it back. If you're under RE/PAYE, you may be paying more than what you would have if you paid a fixed 10 year or even a 30 year loan, but the money you would save in those initial 10+ years would enable you to start a business to get a bigger salary, buy a house, invest in stocks, enough that you would essentially be much more wealthy than if you didn't. If you think about compounding, then it makes sense to put those 4k+ a month into the market or real estate instead of paying back student debt.

You can do samples of this:

If you graduate from dental school at 30 and put $3.5k/mo into the S&P at 10% ROR, then you will net $7.2 million in 30 years in time for retirement at 60. In contrast, your debt of $600k with a 6% interest rate and monthly payments of $1.5k will only balloon up to $1.6m in 25 years. (This totals $5k a month, $1.5k into debt repayment and $3.5k into the stock market). Even with the tax bomb of around $600k and another $100k in taxes to sell off some stocks, you're up $6.5m+ at retirement.

Now contrast this with if you refinanced it to a reasonable 3% of the full $600k and put 5k a month, it would take you 12 years to pay it off. In those 12 years, you are now debt free, but that only means you are now starting to invest and build capital. You start now to invest $5k a month for the next 18 years, and you will only end up at $2.9m. You are off by $3.6m from if you decided to do REPAYE and eat the taxbomb instead. That's the advantage of RE/PAYE.

Sure, you may have paid double the money you owe if you use RE/PAYE, but which method gets your net worth up by more than 2x?

And if you say, "REPAYE might not be here in 25 years, you never know if you end up qualifying." You can still do the math. At 25 years, with REPAYE plan, you owe $1.6m, and with investments in the first scenario, you will be at $4.3m. If somehow they said you're not eligible for REPAYE foregiveness and you gotta pay back everything with all the interest, then you will need to pay the $1.6m and another maybe $400k in taxes to sell off the stock, which is $2m. Subtract that from the $4.3m, you're still at $2.3m at 25 years. Continue to invest $5k for another 5 years, and by the 30 year mark, your net worth is now at $4.1m. Yes it sucks to have to pay $2m out of nowhere, but look, your net worth is a whole $1.1m more than if you paid it off traditionally with refinancing.

This is called leveraging debt.

Last edited:
Interview #5
Notification date: 10/25
AADSAS mail-out date: 06/24
Application complete date: Got the completion email the same week
GPA (science, overall): 3.44, 3.56
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24/22/23/30/No
Dates available OR your interview date: Had some november dates but they filled up super fast. Mine is 11/10
Method of interview: Virtual