NYU considering letting students graduate early for COVID-19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But I’m not in NYC. And most of the country isnt either. Shelter in place makes sense on the east coast right now. But do we need every rural county with a shelter in place order? That’s my point.

You are being incredibly naive. The point of shelter-in-place is to PREVENT spread before it gets to the levels of NYC. How do you think Podunkville and its 4 PCPs are going to handle a catastrophe the size of NYC?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
I can't believe Trump hasn't halted all flights out of NYC

Reactions: 2 users
The more this happens the more convinced I am that schools are just trying to find a way to kick clinical students out the door. They’re used to pushing paper around and nothing else for clinical students while they collect a tuition check.

It’s just too inconvenient to educate students remotely so I guess they should just go die...

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I just love the shift in thinking.

"I'm a med student, dammit! Let me help, let me help, let me help!"

"Wait, what? You're now letting me help? F you! You just want me to die!"

Quite an evolution in one week.

• Okay...
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am an EM attending of 20+ yrs and whoever is advocating that this is OK is out of their freaking mind. Voluntary without any adverse outcome, OK. Don't or you will be punished?

Except that no one anywhere has said that. Have you heard that? Cite your source

I find it RICH that on one hand Admin thinks that it is sagacious to pull out all stops bringing ill prepared med students in and on the other hand likely never step foot into the ER for more than 5 minutes in full body armor.

Again, pull out all the stops and I would be happy to jump in right next to the CMO/CNO/CEO putting a chest tube in or intubating. My life is worth just as much as a CMO/CNO/CEO so if you want me to work at the typical rate, then your Butt should be right next to me wearing the same "PPE"

Funny how when a crisis happens, they "pull out all the stops" that doesn't increase costs.
1. Calling all med students, retired nurses, retired doctors, residents, all specialty come to the covid pit.
2. We can't find enough PPE b/c there is a shortage. Yeah there is a shortage at the price you are used to. But if you really want 1 Million N95 masks, I can tell you tomorrow where to get it but it is going to cost millions

Sorry, but I am not jumping into a fire when the fire chief is not willing to jump with me.

Reactions: 5 users
Cost is a BIG factor. A big hospital where I am at is making attendings find their own PPE. Anesthesiology buddies are making their own N95, reusing, reheating, stuffing AC filters b/c the LARGE Hospital system can't. But I know for a fact that they are avail and our group was offered it but at a high price/high volume. If you think $$$ goes away with a pandemic, you are mistaken.

Name the hospital system. If it's that large, they're never going to locate an anonymous poster on SDN who outed them.

Really? That surprises you? He's a ***** who has blown this in epic ways from the very start. I can't believe we can't throw his clueless ass out of office right now. At least Pence appears to have a clue what's happening.

There is a diff in enthusiasm about helping with proper protective gear and just coming in a war zone naked with a high chance of being infected and killing loved ones at the same time.

The disdain stems from schools mandating participation without providing for proper protective gear.

Except that no one anywhere has said that. Have you heard that? Cite your source

Come on. You can't read between the lines? The only reasons these Med schools "clarified" their statements is b/c there was an outcry. If there was no media, or before the days of internet these poor students would be forced to work in the covid Pit and you know it.

Again, defend admin if you want. But when the admin/government officials who are advocating this are doing 16 hr shifts next to the med students in the Covid pit then we can talk. But don't push these ill prepared med students in "Safe areas" while they are sitting on the top floor knee high in PPE.

Reactions: 6 users
Name the hospital system. If it's that large, they're never going to locate an anonymous poster on SDN who outed them.

I am not going to go there b/c no matter how large the system is, we all know each other. But I will swear on my first born that this is true. My Anesthesiology buddy had to go ask painters/home contractors to look for PPE for his group.

Put your head in the sand and run into the fire if you want. But when you come out, don't expect them to even thank you. And the next time there is a down turn, they will fire you to save a buck.

There is a diff in enthusiasm about helping with proper protective gear and just coming in a war zone naked with a high chance of being infected and killing loved ones at the same time.

The disdain stems from schools mandating participation without providing for proper protective gear.

Where does it say they won't provide proper protective gear? The hospitals without the PPE are not using students. Most hospitals are guarding their gear for when the **** hits the fan, but have not run out of gear yet and as far as I know, NO ONE is working without gear. Those who've been asked have walked out of the job.

Reactions: 1 user
Come on. You can't read between the lines? The only reasons these Med schools "clarified" their statements is b/c there was an outcry. If there was no media, or before the days of internet these poor students would be forced to work in the covid Pit and you know it.

This is your assumption. It is not fact. I'd also argue that if any med student declined such a thing the school has no leg to stand on. The AAMC directive is pretty clear that this should be voluntary and I would bet a year's salary, the court's decision will be the same. The schools have no footing here.

I am not going to go there b/c no matter how large the system is, we all know each other. But I will swear on my first born that this is true. My Anesthesiology buddy had to go ask painters/home contractors to look for PPE for his group.

Put your head in the sand and run into the fire if you want. But when you come out, don't expect them to even thank you. And the next time there is a down turn, they will fire you to save a buck.

Oh, I have no doubt they asked you to use something else as PPE. I doubt that PPE is available at price-gouging prices and it hasn't been leaked yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are being incredibly naive. The point of shelter-in-place is to PREVENT spread before it gets to the levels of NYC. How do you think Podunkville and its 4 PCPs are going to handle a catastrophe the size of NYC?
Unless Podunkville has the extremely high population density of NYC then that won’t happen.

Oh, I have no doubt they asked you to use something else as PPE. I doubt that PPE is available at price-gouging prices and it hasn't been leaked yet.

I don't think the price was super high but the quantities were insane. Better to save the $5 Mil bonus than get the million PPE that they may not use. I do not trust admin to do anything other than look out for the bottom line. Been there, seen it, this is no different.

Reactions: 6 users
Doesnt work like that.

Of course it does. What do you think is going to happen in Podunkville population 10,000 and its 100-bed hospital and 7 attendings of all specialties when 50 Covid patients show up at once? How many ICU beds do you think they have, let alone ventilators? How much PPEs do you think they have?

Reactions: 1 users
Unless Podunkville has the extremely high population density of NYC then that won’t happen.

I wouldn't count on rural America being resistant to this. Social gatherings still happen, and much of region already has decreased access to healthcare.

West Virginia's 1st confirmed case: March 17 [1]
West Virginia's 76th confirmed case: March 26 [2]
West Virginia's 96th confirmed case: March 27 [3]

[1] https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/17/coronavirus-latest-news/
[2] Twenty-seven new cases of COVID-19 confirmed in West Virginia
[3] 20 New cases of COVID-19 reported in West Virginia

Last edited:
I wouldn't count on rural America being resistant to this. Social gatherings still happen, and much of region already has decreased access to healthcare.

West Virginia's 1st confirmed case: March 17 [1]
West Virginia's 76th confirmed case: March 26 [2]

[1] https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/17/coronavirus-latest-news/
[2] Twenty-seven new cases of COVID-19 confirmed in West Virginia
My rural town still thinks it’s largely overblown, democratic hoax, media created...and threatening possible “stay-at-home” orders with their 2A rights...

wish i was joking

• Sad
My rural town still thinks it’s largely overblown, democratic hoax, media created...and threatening possible “stay-at-home” orders with their 2A rights...

wish i was joking

Those people are *****s and deserved to get slapped in the face with a fish

Feel free to shame me all you want. But I never said I wanted to die to be convenient to hospital/med school admins. That’s a big difference. I’m a med student paying for an education in diagnosing/treating patients. In these “low-risk” areas I probably won’t even see an attending/intern/resident during a 12 hour shift. So much for teaching. And when it comes to actually treating patients, it’s obvious there’s no way for me to do it safely.

Your argument about us all wanting to help people so this is fine is just dumb and pointless. It’s like telling an astronaut that since he/she has always wanted to go into outer space, taking a space-walk without a helmet should be no big deal.

I’d love to help if I could.

But I’m no martyr.

wish i was joking

+1
One of my high school classmates recently posted that Trump is doing a good job and we should keep trusting him.
The post got many likes LOL

Where does it say they won't provide proper protective gear? The hospitals without the PPE are not using students. Most hospitals are guarding their gear for when the **** hits the fan, but have not run out of gear yet and as far as I know, NO ONE is working without gear. Those who've been asked have walked out of the job.

I have friends working at multiple hospitals in NYC, who said that their hospitals are running out of protective gears and are resorting to crowd sourcing for donation.

Again, these schools are clowns for pushing medical students who are paying them tuition for nothing to either get infected and possibly died, or not graduate. The lawyers are going to have a fun time with these bozos when the dusts are settled. I can assure you that all email communications will be collected for future reference.

+1
One of my high school classmates recently posted that Trump is doing a good job and we should keep trusting him.
The post got many likes LOL

I put out a blanket statement on my FB that any posters posting in support of Trump would be unfriended. It got over 200 likes. I held true to my promise. Weeding out idiots on FB is never a problem.

Again, these schools are clowns for pushing medical students who are paying them tuition for nothing to either get infected and possibly died, or not graduate.

Cite one school that has said if you don't do it, you can't graduate.

Where does it say you can't graduate if you don't do it?

Ugh, required rotations during 4th yr for graduation, including CC, Sub-I med, and Sub-I surgery, are now this elective, in which the only explainable excuses are "not be in the Phoenix area during Block 11 or they are in the at-risk population such as a chronic illness, living with someone who is over 65, or living with someone who has a chronic illness."

Do I need to spell out the threatening tone in this email?

Ugh, required rotations during 4th yr CC, Sub-I med, and Sub-I surgery are now this elective, in which the only explainable excuses are "not be in the Phoenix area during Block 11 or they are in the at-risk population such as a chronic illness, living with someone who is over 65, or living with someone who has a chronic illness."

Actually, what it says is "we are now looking to make the opportunity available for all OMS 4 students who are in the Phoenix area including Critical Care, Sub-specialty Medicine, Sub-specialty Surgery as well as those on an elective."

The two reasons students can't participate are having a chronic health condition, being over 65, or living with someone in one of those categories.

Again, where does it say you won't graduate?

As a student sourcing PPE for residents right now, we found one N95 supplier who is selling the masks for $5 each. We were able to raise enough funds (from the community, mind you) to get each EM resident five masks. But don’t these usually cost sixty - seventy cents? There is definitely *some* supply out there. Just at a markup.

• Wow
Actually, what it says is "we are now looking to make the opportunity available for all OMS 4 students who are in the Phoenix area including Critical Care, Sub-specialty Medicine, Sub-specialty Surgery as well as those on an elective."

The two reasons students can't participate are having a chronic health condition, being over 65, or living with someone in one of those categories.

Again, where does it say you won't graduate?

Alright. Apparently, I have to spell out the nuances as a MS IV to an attending.

"If you are an OMS 4 student in the Phoenix area and will have for Block 11, Critical Care, Sub-specialty Medicine, or Sub-specialty Surgery, please be available today for a phone call to confirm your location and ability to participate."

with the "two reasons a student would not be able to participate are that they will not be in the Phoenix area during Block 11 or they are in the at-risk population such as a chronic illness, living with someone who is over 65, or living with someone who has a chronic illness. "

Really? That surprises you? He's a ***** who has blown this in epic ways from the very start. I can't believe we can't throw his clueless ass out of office right now. At least Pence appears to have a clue what's happening.

I'm just curious, what was y'alls reaction when Trump banned travel from China back in January? Since you're currently criticizing him for not restricting the ability of Americans to travel within their own country, I'm assuming you had no issue with restricting the rights of foreigners to travel to the United States, correct? Since the former is much, much more drastic than the latter.

The reason I ask this is because believe it or not there are nut jobs out there who called Trump racist and xenophobic for putting restrictions on foreigners traveling to American cities and towns but who are at the same time blaming him for not preventing Americans from traveling to American cities and towns! Boggles the mind, doesn't it?

With that said, Trump should definitely place existing epicenters under quarantine, despite the fact that those currently criticizing him for not doing so would immediately shift to criticizing him for doing so, and how he'd be a racist for letting disproportionately minority, politically left-leaning urban centers to fend for themselves to protect his gun-toting hillbilly base. Don't get me wrong, Trump has proven himself to be an absolute clown, but anything he does will be spun against him by the rich and powerful elites running the media.

Last edited:
Alright. Apparently, I have to spell out the nuances as a MS IV to an attending.

"If you are an OMS 4 student in the Phoenix area and will have for Block 11, Critical Care, Sub-specialty Medicine, or Sub-specialty Surgery, please be available today for a phone call to confirm your location and ability to participate."

with the "two reasons a student would not be able to participate are that they will not be in the Phoenix area during Block 11 or they are in the at-risk population such as a chronic illness, living with someone who is over 65, or living with someone who has a chronic illness. "

I read it just fine. Nowhere does it say you can't graduate. Not a single place. Not one word. So just as I thought, you're reading what you want to read so you can be outraged at the prospect.

I read it just fine. Nowhere does it say you can't graduate. Not a single place. Not one word. So just as I thought, you're reading what you want to read so you can be outraged at the prospect.

Doesn’t affect me so I am not sure why you’re putting words in my mouth.

But I will bow out nevertheless.

Just like when the rib says, "dear you don't have to do that".

I'm just curious, what was y'alls reaction when Trump banned travel from China back in January? Since you're currently criticizing him for not restricting the ability of Americans to travel within their own country, I'm assuming you had no issue with restricting the rights of foreigners to travel to the United States, correct? Since the former is much, much more drastic than the latter

The one on January 31st that he finally made after others kept telling him to, despite his claim that he was a one-man hero? I felt as good about it as I did about wanting Obama to issue travel ban during ebola.

The reason I ask this is because believe it or not there are nut jobs out there who called Trump racist and xenophobic for putting restrictions on foreigners traveling to American cities and towns but who are at the same time blaming him for not preventing Americans from traveling to American cities and towns! Boggles the mind, doesn't it?

I don't he's racist for issuing a travel ban. I think he's racist for insisting on calling it the China virus like a petulant, ignorant child.

With that said, Trump should definitely place existing epicenters under quarantine, despite the fact that those currently criticizing him for not doing so would immediately shift to criticizing him for doing so, and how he'd be a racist for letting disproportionately minority, politically left-leaning urban centers to fend for themselves to protect his gun-toting hillbilly base. Don't get me wrong, Trump has proven himself to be an absolute clown, but anything he does will be spun against him by the rich and powerful elites running the media.

Oh please. This is not the media's fault. This is the fault of a troll in the WH who has no earthly idea how to run the country. He said we had 15 patients and then it would go away. Didn't happen. But it's the media's fault. He said warm weather would rid us of the virus while FL's cases were skyrocketing. But it's the media's fault. He said he'd open the country next week, putting the economy ahead of lives. But it's the media's fault. And don't get me started on his Doctoring 101 nonsense telling people which medications save lives.

At some point, the buck stops with him. He's a narcissistic game show host, totally unqualified for his job. Any attempt at defending the catastrophic administration he's led is laughable.

Reactions: 9 users
I'm just curious, what was y'alls reaction when Trump banned travel from China back in January? Since you're currently criticizing him for not restricting the ability of Americans to travel within their own country, I'm assuming you had no issue with restricting the rights of foreigners to travel to the United States, correct? Since the former is much, much more drastic than the latter.

I thought that Trump with his limited insight and knowledge has handled the issue very well. Apparently, a lot of Americans agree with his approval rating being the highest that it has ever been.

Lets not troll this thread away with politics. Nothing good comes out with talking about politics.

I bet Mass effect would be up in arms if he got a call from his M4 Kid with that same email with the program director breathing down his neck to make the "right decision". This is what you would call a hypocrite.

Say what you want, but when your kid sends a picture of him in the "safe zone" where 10 people in his "safe zone" came down with the virus and a few intubated, you would change your tune. Given the propensity of this virus to stay on solid objects for days will tell you everyone in that hospital will be exposed. And for this "safe zone" job you got the good fortune to pay $2k/mo.

Sign me up.

I thought that Trump with his limited insight and knowledge has handled the issue very well. Apparently, a lot of Americans agree with his approval rating being the highest that it has ever been.

Never underestimate the idiocy of the American public. Wait until it's their communities in the hot seat and then we'll see how many think he's doing a good job.

Reactions: 4 users

Who said no one's happy to help out? There's students all over the country volunteering in the community and, in the wake of NYC schools offering early graduation, signing up to work in the hospital. The current complaint is that MWU in Arizona seems to be graciously offering up their students as free labor under the guise of clinical experience. Would you personally feel "happy to help out" if it meant not only forgoing your salary/benefits but also paying tuition for the privilege of exposing yourself and family to a highly infectious new disease? Come on now.

Ugh, required rotations during 4th yr for graduation, including CC, Sub-I med, and Sub-I surgery, are now this elective, in which the only explainable excuses are "not be in the Phoenix area during Block 11 or they are in the at-risk population such as a chronic illness, living with someone who is over 65, or living with someone who has a chronic illness."

Out of curiosity, how is it a threatening tone? Cause I would have missed that completely

The one on January 31st that he finally made after others kept telling him to, despite his claim that he was a one-man hero? I felt as good about it as I did about wanting Obama to issue travel ban during ebola.

I don't he's racist for issuing a travel ban. I think he's racist for insisting on calling it the China virus like a petulant, ignorant child.

Oh please. This is not the media's fault. This is the fault of a troll in the WH who has no earthly idea how to run the country. He said we had 15 patients and then it would go away. Didn't happen. But it's the media's fault. He said warm weather would rid us of the virus while FL's cases were skyrocketing. But it's the media's fault. He said he'd open the country next week, putting the economy ahead of lives. But it's the media's fault. And don't get me started on his Doctoring 101 nonsense telling people which medications save lives.

At some point, the buck stops with him. He's a narcissistic game show host, totally unqualified for his job. Any attempt at defending the catastrophic administration he's led is laughable.

My favorite is the one where he gave Governor Cuomo 400 ventilators When the projected need for NYC is 30,000 and basically told him and NYC to f*** off, all cause Cuomo was being mean to him...

• Haha
Who said you were a martyr? Who said you wouldn't get PPE? I just find it humorous that what you're arguing is what many of us were arguing LAST week and yet all the med students hit the forums in full force about what a travesty it was that they wouldn't get to help. Many even said they could help in other ways if not treating patients. Many offered to run labs or do scut just to help out. Now suddenly schools are offering that option and no one wants anything to do with it and not a single one has said you won't get PPE.

I think you should get a choice. I don't think it should be mandatory and I don't believe that it is mandatory. I just find it interesting that now that the option is there, no one wants anything to do with it.
And I wasn’t advocating helping out without adequate protection last week so don’t lump me in that group.

The hospitals currently don’t have adequate PPE for their staff. They definitely won’t have it for us. Even before we were kicked off rotations nationwide, my hospital wasn’t allowing students to use PPE because of “the shortage”. Can’t imagine it’s gotten better.

Anyway, it looks like this thread is turning political and you’re unwilling to see my point anyway so I’ll bounce. Feel free to quote and respond so you can get the last word if that helps your ego. All the best.

Never underestimate the idiocy of the American public. Wait until it's their communities in the hot seat and then we'll see how many think he's doing a good job.

Ah, the old “anyone who disagrees with me is an idiot” world view. Very mature.

N95s and other PPE are available at slightly to very inflated cost from abroad, with donation and bulk order options plentiful. The problem is that half these shipments whether donation or purchase order can’t even clear foreign/USA customs without approving certifications. And even if NIOSH/FDA/etc. approved, hospitals must “vet” them since they don’t come from they’re “trusted (re: ?contracted) vendors list”

Long story short, tons of PPE supply never hits the front lines in this healthcare system. Moreover, HCW infections comprise 10-20% of covid infections world wide.

Guidelines and policy set forth right now are based on frontline “shortage” of PPE rather than appropriate infection control and it’s scary. Nevertheless most m3s/m4s given the option to contribute on the floors or otherwise are doing so right now despite awkward PPE protocols in my nyc health system.

1 week ago, we also didn't know that young people could be at a higher likelihood to die than stated. 1 week ago, we also had no idea how bad the situation was in terms of PPE and that we are literally one of the only countries where health officials on tv seem to not be donning a full hazmat suit when approaching COVID patients. Again, if I saw a fire and someone was there I would probably run without protection to help them out but at the same time, if this is your profession as a firefighter..how many times can you risk going into the fire without safeguards? Point is, we're not addressing just one patient. We need to address a poor pattern that has been spiraling out of control. With so many educated individuals in this mix, the real tragedy is how infrastructures are not coming together, companies and individual sellers charging up the waazoo, and people still not maintaining social distancing with crowds gathering at stores and other locales.

Who said no one's happy to help out? There's students all over the country volunteering in the community and, in the wake of NYC schools offering early graduation, signing up to work in the hospital. The current complaint is that MWU in Arizona seems to be graciously offering up their students as free labor under the guise of clinical experience. Would you personally feel "happy to help out" if it meant not only forgoing your salary/benefits but also paying tuition for the privilege of exposing yourself and family to a highly infectious new disease? Come on now.

This is precisely what people were bitching about last week. They wanted to go in and "help out" as part of the curriculum. No one asked for salary or early graduation in those threads. And in fact any time the rest of us told them they should stay home, they bitched and complained.

Reactions: 1 user
Lets not troll this thread away with politics. Nothing good comes out with talking about politics.

I bet Mass effect would be up in arms if he got a call from his M4 Kid with that same email with the program director breathing down his neck to make the "right decision". This is what you would call a hypocrite.

Say what you want, but when your kid sends a picture of him in the "safe zone" where 10 people in his "safe zone" came down with the virus and a few intubated, you would change your tune. Given the propensity of this virus to stay on solid objects for days will tell you everyone in that hospital will be exposed. And for this "safe zone" job you got the good fortune to pay $2k/mo.

Sign me up.

First of all, I was never in favor of ANY med student being in the middle of this. Check my post history if you have any doubts about that. But you want to talk about hypocrite, let's talk about the med students who just last week ranted and raved about being sidelined as if they're useless and now rants and raves about being asked to work. The hypocrisy sure is thick, but it isn't on my end.

Status
Not open for further replies.