NYU Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tonyjerry

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone here have a definite date on when NYU should be sending out the second round of acceptances? I know the card they gave us says the 15th but looking at the acceptance thread it looks like they actually send emails out on the 12th. Thanks for any help and good luck to anyone who interviewed there.

Members don't see this ad.

I actually noticed that too. Also, Feb 15th is a Sunday. I don't think anyone will be working on Sunday.
Chances are that the decisions on whom to accept are already made. And it is possible that they will start to go out tomorrow.

I believe NYU is actually rolling... 3-5 weeks. I interviewed 1/10 and heard back on 2/4

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by jamnx
I believe NYU is actually rolling... 3-5 weeks. I interviewed 1/10 and heard back on 2/4
They are in some cases. I guess if they really want you, they will offer it to you sooner. But the bulk is going out on Feb 15th (according to NYU adm office).

I'm expecting the big ole waitlist.

Who's with me?

Originally posted by Kashue
I'm expecting the big ole waitlist.

Who's with me?

Count me in. The NYU admissions office is full of crap. A truckload of people have already been accepted, so they're obviously rolling. Eh, my interest level is at a record low at this point... I just wish that admissions staff could tell the truth once in a while. That'd be nice. :)

:p Crazy rumor mill. I there was already the rumor floating around that Columbia was sending out decisions this week, and now this. It wouldn't be so bad but for that I really liked those two; I'm gonna have an aneurism soon. Can't you people talk about california schools for a while, I'm not up for any of those :p :p :p

i feel that if you havent heard from now you're in the waitlist/rejection boat. I've given up most hope

Originally posted by cornell2004
i feel that if you havent heard from now you're in the waitlist/rejection boat. I've given up most hope

I did a search for last year's thread and from it,no one got accepted anywhere near or on the Feb 15th date. One of the students I talked to at NYU said he interviewed in Nov and didn't hear from them till Feb 15th. He was waitlisted, but got in later in the summer. He says that NYU has a lot of waitlist movement.

are you sure that their acceptances are rolling? ?? that is very discouraging... i thouhgt i did spectacularly at the interview back in november and was eagerly awaiting an acceptance.... one more waitlist to be frustrated over :(

NYU doesn't do phone calls for acceptances?

IMO, any school that rejects you sucks anyways :D
Therefore, schools that reject you pre-secondary sucks the most.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although NYU gave me an interview invitation in November, I never received it in the mail so I ended up scheduling my interview around mid January. My interviewer gave me the idea that a lot of the acceptances are already out when he said it was a shame I was interviewing so late because only a few spots are left. I wouldn't doubt that they've been accepting people on a rolling basis.

Man, this is nuts. WHY, why do they write the following on their little admissions card:

"We expect to send a few letters of acceptance to candidates by January 15, but the bulk of the decisions will be mailed on February 15."

If it's not true, why not just write: "We accept people on a rolling basis and you could receive a decision any time after your review."

Lame.

Originally posted by lyragrl
"We expect to send a few letters of acceptance to candidates by January 15, but the bulk of the decisions will be mailed on February 15."

Exactly what I was talking about earlier. They're more full of sh$t than Pampers.

I wonder what all the complaining is about. It isn't even Feb 15th yet. When you haven't gotten anything from them after that, then you got a bone to pick. But, other than that, I don't see how they "lied." They never said that absolutely no acceptances would go out before or after these dates. Every school bends their rules a tad. Take cornell for example. Or Columbia. I know someone here who is applying with us that has a Coulumbia accpetance in hand already.

Originally posted by TheFlash
Exactly what I was talking about earlier. They're more full of sh$t than Pampers.

Man, this is nuts. WHY, why do they write the following on their little admissions card:

If it's not true, why not just write: "We accept people on a rolling basis and you could receive a decision any time after your review."

Lame.

Originally posted by BigRedPingpong
I know someone here who is applying with us that has a Coulumbia accpetance in hand already.

Ya had to go and say something like that, didn't you? As if there isn't enough stress and paranoia floating around this place.

I wonder what all the complaining is about. It isn't even Feb 15th yet. When you haven't gotten anything from them after that, then you got a bone to pick. But, other than that, I don't see how they "lied." They never said that absolutely no acceptances would go out before or after these dates. Every school bends their rules a tad. Take cornell for example. Or Columbia. I know someone here who is applying with us that has a Coulumbia accpetance in hand already.

Oh well, although it is a Coulumbia acceptance which is different from a Columbia acceptance, if that's any consolation. :laugh: I think I'm going to write a paper now and cry because I suck majorly :( I have a growing suspicion that I'm not going to end up going for med school where I was hoping... ah well, a doctor is a doctor and life goes on +pissed+ , what more can I say

Cornell fully claims to be semi-rolling, with only one singular acceptance date before the majority of their decisions go out in March. As for Columbia, they are fully non-rolling with no early decision program, so the only way someone is holding an acceptance from them is if they applied MSTP. If anyone tell's you otherwise, it's a lie. Frantz himself told me that regular MD decisions are going out in late February. Same holds for other non-rollers like Penn, Duke, Yale, etc.

NYU, on the other hand, actually gave us documented info at the interview about releasing the "bulk of their decisions on February 15th," yet the dean of the med school has blabbed to another sdn'er about how the class is already more than two-thirds full. That's not just "bending their rules a tad." That's deliberately deceiving interviewees.

Crap, I've already wasted too much time writing this post.

tf

I agree that there is a lot of stress going around. But, I don't think that should hinder reality. Encouragment is good, but not to the point of blinding disillusionment. I think above everything else, call things for what they are worth. Admissions offices lie-- that's truth.

Edit: also I know someone personally with a Coumbia acceptance letter in this persons hand. I'm pretty sure he is not MSTP. Although I should verify this and get back to you all.

Originally posted by AverageMan
Ya had to go and say something like that, didn't you? As if there isn't enough stress and paranoia floating around this place.

OK, flash was right. THis person was an MD/PhD candidate. Just found this out. sorry for the confusion.

Man, all of us except BigRedPingpong are in really bad moods, aren't we? I want to go to the Caribbean for a couple weeks and sit on the beach. No phones, no Internet. Just a few friends, a chair under a cabana, a beautiful beach, and some good books and beer. Mmm...

Man, all of us except BigRedPingpong are in really bad moods, aren't we? I want to go to the Caribbean for a couple weeks and sit on the beach. No phones, no Internet. Just a few friends, a chair under a cabana, a beautiful beach, and some good books and beer. Mmm...

Funny you mention the beach... I had an absolutely surreal dream last night of being at the beach, I was pretty pissed when I woke up and realized it was all a dream

You forgot about the frozen drinks with little umbrellas

ooo, that reminds me of this summer when I was at a beach in Ecuador... two for one drink specials (i.e. each humongous drink was 75 cents), not too many worries... ah that was a beautiful week

UMiami here I come

I think some people are misreading the NYU statement. Here's the relevant sentence:

We expect to send a few letters of acceptance to candidates by January 15, but the bulk of the decisions will be mailed on February 15.

True. Unfortunately, the bulk of the decisions are not acceptances.

good catch, u should be a lawyer

Yeah, that actually sounds really good right about now. I should've taken up the offer of some of my friends to go down to Cancun for spring break. Oh wait... I forgot that I'm dead broke thanks to applying to med school/flying to interviews. :laugh: Ah well, that can't stop from fantasizing about the beach, ladies, and booze! :)

their class is 2/3 full? well, guess that they probably accept double a full class, so that means that actually 1/3 of acceptances went out and the bulk of acceptances will still go out in February. I mean, the adcom guy was probably bragging, so I think we need to consider how he inflated the actual number of acceptances.

why don't we all go to Vegas or Atlantic City to earn back that money we lost applying and flying? Then, if we're good enough, we can all go to the Carribean and write nasty letters while drunk to all the adcoms out there that piss us off while lying on the beach with hot girls who are drooling all over us pre-meds trying to get in. (better watch our wallets, though, and make sure to not sign our names).

Mmm... Frozen drinks...

Originally posted by tonyjerry
Although NYU gave me an interview invitation in November, I never received it in the mail so I ended up scheduling my interview around mid January. My interviewer gave me the idea that a lot of the acceptances are already out when he said it was a shame I was interviewing so late because only a few spots are left. I wouldn't doubt that they've been accepting people on a rolling basis.

Uhh, this happened to me as well!!! They told me in January that they were withdrawing my application b/c I hadn't responded to their invite. But I never received this invite. So I ended up interviewing at the end of Jan. I wish I could have interviewed earlier. Oh well, I guess this kind of **** is bound to happen.

NYU is about as non-rolling as a boulder on its way down a hill.

The good news is that you can still receive an acceptance even if you interview late.

The bad news is that nobody beside the dean and his committee truly understands how this process works. Keep your hope up!

guys, if anyone gets an acceptance today (or tomorrow) via email (or snail mail), can you please post? I think i am going to go insane here, waiting for any news........ stupid nyu :(

I think that this means is that after Feb 15th they will send out rejections, waitlists AND acceptances. I don't think they imply that all acceptances are given out prior to Feb 15th.

Originally posted by jaycee
I think some people are misreading the NYU statement. Here's the relevant sentence:

True. Unfortunately, the bulk of the decisions are not acceptances.

Edit: Sorry, I think that came off harshly. I'm not saying that all hope is lost. There are clearly acceptances still to come, along with a whole lot of waitlist movement thereafter. I just don't like to see people getting turned off of a school simply because they're misunderstanding a policy statement.

I thought I would hear on the 12th because that is the day that most acceptances were given in December and January. I didn't get an e-mail, though. So it seems like we'll all find out on Monday. Has anyone heard today?

im pretty sure that if we havent heard from dem by now we're pretty fcucked. come on waitlist.. maybe im just really drunnk rite now... fcuck it

Hey, just called the office and they said notices are going out before Feb 15th by mail. So I guess that means Mondays the day.

No mail on Monday since it's a holiday.

That means Tuesday, UGGH!

Weren't acceptances before sent first by email? If they're all going out by mail, then there must be a wave of waitlists or rejections. :scared:

Originally posted by darkcity998
Weren't acceptances before sent first by email? If they're all going out by mail, then there must be a wave of waitlists or rejections. :scared:

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. Sigh.

ugh, oh well. At least the waiting will be over. It's been over 3 months for me. :clap:

Nothing in the mail today either...

bump.. any body hear?

if anyone gets any news today -- can you please let us know ????

bah. If they waited this long to send me the mail, it's gonna be a nice rejection.

yeah, i am not hoping for much from them at this point either....... however, it would be nice to have the wait over with, bc its been like 4 months since i interviewed!:mad:

I got a letter today...or actually my mom got a letter, and then she called me (woke me up, damn it)...and told me I had bad news.

WAITLIST.

It was expected, but still, I feel like this guy----> +pissed+

Somebody please tell me that the NYU waitlist is extremely active. Thank you.