NYU defer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simiri

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi has anybody tried to find out about possible deferal for next yr at NYU.I am having trouble finding a co signer

Members don't see this ad.

hi has anybody tried to find out about possible deferal for next yr at NYU.I am having trouble finding a co signer
From my understanding you cannot defer starting this year.:eek:
You want to confirm this though!

From my understanding you cannot defer starting this year.:eek:
You want to confirm this though!

I called them & asked about deferral and nyu people told me that u can get deferral.........i suggest u to call them and ask about it and please do inform me if u get some other information.

La Fea i m really very confused right now and want some suggestion from u and other sdn members .....i got admission in nyu and don't know what to do.....take a deferral or go for it:confused::confused::confused:.... my stat r 92, 103, 3.82

please guys help me to decide what to do next
thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad :)
nyu and UoP r really expensive schools. Its a tough to find a cosigner and get loan without a cosigner in such economic crisis. not only students who are about to start dental school are facing the problem, but people who r already in dental school (nyu)are having tough time because citi assist is not giving loan without cosigner starting this year..

Its entirely individual s choice what to do..

hi kupra!!!
you have excellent credentials,im wondering why dint you get anywhere else especially BU???

I called them & asked about deferral and nyu people told me that u can get deferral.........i suggest u to call them and ask about it and please do inform me if u get some other information.

La Fea i m really very confused right now and want some suggestion from u and other sdn members .....i got admission in nyu and don't know what to do.....take a deferral or go for it:confused::confused::confused:.... my stat r 92, 103, 3.82

thanks in advance
If I were you, I would go for it.
Time for some real numbers on a yearly basis. I pulled it off the website.

NYU Tuition and fees- 66,700 ish + 31,000 ish for living
Pacific 72 K + 18K fees + Living Assume close to 24K (approx)
UCSF 74 K + 24K fees + 24 K ish for living (approx)
UCLA 61 + 20+ 24
UPENN 85K (did not feel like adding up all the numbers) + 19K summer Program
BU 65K + living
USC 100K including living

Assume inflation, increase in fee and everything else.
The difference b/t NYU and some CA schools is 50- 80K.

So if you have a cosigner go for it.

friends even I have difficulty in finding a cosigner, I am not knowing what to do......what are the other options ,loan from home country is also difficult for me.

If I were you, I would go for it.
Time for some real numbers on a yearly basis. I pulled it off the website.

NYU Tuition and fees- 66,700 ish + 31,000 ish for living
Pacific 72 K + 18K fees + Living Assume close to 24K (approx)
UCSF 74 K + 24K fees + 24 K ish for living (approx)
UCLA 61 + 20+ 24
UPENN 85K (did not feel like adding up all the numbers) + 19K summer Program
BU 65K + living
USC 100K including living

Assume inflation, increase in fee and everything else.
The difference b/t NYU and some CA schools is 50- 80K.

So if you have a cosigner go for it.

thanks a lot.......yaa i also did all the maths.....but only afraid of one year extra .....any how if i don't get into bu this year i have to spend 3 year...............so thanks a lot once again:thumbup:

you r always big help for every one:love:

hi kupra!!!
you have excellent credentials,im wondering why dint you get anywhere else especially BU???

i m waiting for bu............don't know what gonna happen:scared:

On the day of my i/v I asked about deferal to the lady who was talking to us about loans and she said its absolutely not possible.

thanks in advance
You definitely can't defer this year.The Dir. of Admissions told us so on the day I interviewed at NYU.I pray those looking for co-signers do find one or are able to get loans somehow and everybody that has other issues that might force them to want to defer are able to iron things out.Especially with things changing so much ,not just with the NBDE, immigration but also with American economy. I just feel it's going to get more difficult getting into dental schools for foreign graduates.My advice to anyone is 'if you get an acceptance, go for it'.Nobody is guaranteed anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you can find a loan i'd say go NYU,people usually miss the point as if they get accepted to the school next year they will pay less.
you may save up to 100k if you dont go NYU,but add the amount of your expenses until you get accepted to a 2 year program to the salary you will lose,it doesnt make much difference.
just my 2 cents.

if you can find a loan i'd say go NYU,people usually miss the point as if they get accepted to the school next year they will pay less.
you may save up to 100k if you dont go NYU,but add the amount of your expenses until you get accepted to a 2 year program to the salary you will lose,it doesnt make much difference.
just my 2 cents.
:thumbup::thumbup:Exactly.
There are no guarantees in life. What if co signer cannot sign next year? Or you dont get accepted anywhere(hey that's possible)+ potential lost salary.

thanks a lot.......yaa i also did all the maths.....but only afraid of one year extra .....any how if i don't get into bu this year i have to spend 3 year...............so thanks a lot once again:thumbup:

you r always big help for every one:love:

ya..one extra year in NYU will cost us more...i have some seniors who got out from nyu...and they told me that they had taken loan of almost 3.5 lakh...because NYU has so much extra cost...so it took our loan so high...

ya..one extra year in NYU will cost us more...i have some seniors who got out from nyu...and they told me that they had taken loan of almost 3.5 lakh...because NYU has so much extra cost...so it took our loan so high...

hi..........
you are right ........... i got this kind of review from my seniors also..........
i think that it includes everything with tution fees , living expense and all other fees.

i think so in this low economy i guess it wud be very hard us international students to pay 3.5 lakhs with unstable visa status and changing rules of work permit and all..... god save us.... is it a trap or boon for us???

i think so in this low economy i guess it wud be very hard us international students to pay 3.5 lakhs with unstable visa status and changing rules of work permit and all..... god save us.... is it a trap or boon for us???
i am sure everything's gonna be alright until you get your license.

Hey,

350 k is too much! I enquired couple of people , they said they had a loan of abt 250K when they were out and most of them said u will definitely pay it back by 5-10 yrs ! { repaying depends on us) For that matter, I know a graduate of NYU, who said she repaid 300K loans in 5 yrs span!

hi ,
thanks a lot for all the information and guidance.....yaa i know its big amount + one year extra in nyu ......but something is better than nothing.....so be positive:thumbup::thumbup:

oh man... after reading everyone's comments here, i guess the only option for those who don't have a co-signer at this point is finding a co-signer which is a must this year since the citibank ppl want us to have cosigners starting this year right? can someone please confirm this? cuz i am really worried right now....

if we can't find one, is there any other option ??

please if anyone knows any good approach to solving my situation, i would really appreciate it!!

thanks

oh man... after reading everyone's comments here, i guess the only option for those who don't have a co-signer at this point is finding a co-signer which is a must this year since the citibank ppl want us to have cosigners starting this year right? can someone please confirm this? cuz i am really worried right now....

if we can't find one, is there any other option ??

please if anyone knows any good approach to solving my situation, i would really appreciate it!!

thanks
Yaa I think you need a co signer to get a loan in Citi... probably any given bank at this time.

You could try getting a loan from your home country.

It doesn seem to be a viable option..and even if it is.. you cant get a loan more than 20 lac in Indian Rupees which is just nothing for the kind of loan we need.
Centurion Bank in India gives loan upto 60 lacs if i am not wrong. But a collateral is required for all that equivalent to 1.5 times the amount you desire to take loan for.
One of my friend sold his property and paid for his fees, but i really doubt if that is a possibility for many of us!!

SO looking around for the Co-signer is the only option i can see. Its a tuff game indeed, and everybody including me has to search for one.

you think anybody has some other option worth trying??

mdumb