NYU Dental Hygiene or Harvard Extension School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jljlee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am accepted to both programs but I do not know which one to attend. Ultimately, I want to become a dentist. I applied this year and did not get accepted. I need a back-up plan so I was thinking dental hygiene. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not re-apply to dental school?

Unless you need to take more courses to raise your science GPA, I don't think HES will be necessary. I have taken classes through the program so I can tell you that the courses are decent and professors try to help you out because they know you're there to get into grad school.

What "program" are you referring to at HES? It's a fine place to take classes at to shore up an application... but I (personally) would not do a program there.

I need to raise my gpa somehow.... do you think going to NYU dental hygiene program will be a negative to my application when I re-apply?

I would do HES. I know several friends who have taken classes there to raise GPA for medical school and were successful in gaining admission after doing well at HES. Some of them were doing it full-time and some were doing it part-time. All of them were taking only science classes (biology, chemistry, physics) and did really well in them.

Obviously you will need to take only science classes and your grades will need to be as high as possible (I would say no lower than a 3.7) to be worth it.

Last edited: