NYU Dental School Commute

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Anxious One

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

I'm an incoming D1 student and I'm asking students at NYUCD for their opinion on whether I should commute in my situation or not. I live in Staten Island and according to google maps, it would take me an hour and 5 minutes with one bus from the moment I step outside my home to the actual school. I'll be checking if this is actually true by taking it myself, but assuming this is true would the students at NYU who have experienced the first year recommend I take this kind of commute? I'm assuming it will actually take 1.5 hours due to many other factors.
I'm trying to be cost effective, but I take academic performance more seriously as well as access to other opportunities like research, more clinical rotations in a specialty, etc. Please let me know if you think the commute hinders this in any way and what you would do in this situation!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey SDN,

I'm an incoming D1 student and I'm asking students at NYUCD for their opinion on whether I should commute in my situation or not. I live in Staten Island and according to google maps, it would take me an hour and 5 minutes with one bus from the moment I step outside my home to the actual school. I'll be checking if this is actually true by taking it myself, but assuming this is true would the students at NYU who have experienced the first year recommend I take this kind of commute? I'm assuming it will actually take 1.5 hours due to many other factors.
I'm trying to be cost effective, but I take academic performance more seriously as well as access to other opportunities like research, more clinical rotations in a specialty, etc. Please let me know if you think the commute hinders this in any way and what you would do in this situation!

I hope someone from NYUCD responds with specifics on that route but as a dental student I’ll just tell you that 3 hours a day of commuting will be brutal.

I get that you’re trying to be cost effective, and yes you will save on financial costs. However, 3 hours round trip commuting will tax your energy, your time, your flexibility/scheduling, and so much more.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope someone from NYUCD responds with specifics on that route but as a dental student I’ll just tell you that 3 hours a day of commuting will be brutal.

I get that you’re trying to be cost effective, and yes you will save on financial costs. However, 3 hours round trip commuting will tax your energy, your time, your flexibility/scheduling, and so much more.
Hey SDN,

I graduated in 2012 from nyucd. I lived at home with my folks at the time and it took 1.5 hours each way (3hours total) It's doable and if you can manage time we'll it shouldn't affect you academically. I won't lie, it is a pain and gets annoying. I used that time to catch up on sleep. You also may not have as much time for extracurricular/fun things. Keep that in mind

Reactions: 1 users
I'm an incoming D1 too at NYUCD. What I've heard is that it's highly discouraged, although there will be a very few people doing that.