1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

NYU, Family Friendly?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by SunshineNYC, Mar 15, 2007.

1. SunshineNYC

SunshineNYC SunshineNYC
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was wondering how difficult it would be to start a family while at NYU medical school as opposed to a more family-friendly school in a smaller town. I know it's going to be hard anywhere, clearly, but does NYU have any resources for students with families or are students discriminated against (explicitly or implicitly) for starting a family? NYU's class is generally very young and I wanted to see if anyone had started a family while in school there or how students who were a little older at the beginning of medical school (25-27) feel about NYU's young atmosphere. Thank you.

2. Cirrus83

Cirrus83 Too old for this
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't know about the school itself, but I noticed the mention of small towns. I'd just like to say that NYC is a place where you can raise a family just fine, and for what it's worth I think having grown up in NYC makes you smarter in some situations (except driving, unless you learned to drive because you lived in an outer borough, in which case you will be more used to lunatics cutting you off and sort of be a better driver, unless you learned that it's ok to cut people off doing 90, in which case you're a horrible driver)

But I can definitely see how it would be difficult to afford rent for a large apartment in Manhattan, so you'd probably have to commute from Queens or Brooklyn, and in that sense it might be harder than at a more suburban or rural school where it'd be a non-issue to rent a larger apartment.

Of course if you can swing the rent with your spouse, this is a non-issue.

I hope someone answers your question about NYU itself though, but as far as the city itself goes, having a family here is a non-issue (as evidenced by the fact that there are in fact millions of families in NYC).

3. OP
    OP
    SunshineNYC

SunshineNYC SunshineNYC
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for your response, but I really didn't want this to be about raising a family in NYC vs. a small town. I was born and raised in NYC and currently live here and I think that I have a really accurate idea of what it would be like to raise a family here. I really was more interested in whether or not NYU 1) Has had any students who've started a family while in school, 2) How difficult it would be to be older and raising a family while surrounded by young, ambitious, and competitive classmates (as opposed to other students in a similar stage of life), and 3) If the school itself has any official or unofficial policies regarding students with families (if they offer support, or if they heavily discourage it, or even discriminate against it). Thank you.

4. Arsenic

Arsenic posting from the future
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    moving from allo to pre-allo. sunshineNYC, lots of med students check out pre-allo, you should get responses there.

you might also want to check out the NYU class of 2011 thread and ask the accepted students there if they know about this:

http://donors.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=351990

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Cirrus83

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Arsenic, she already cross-posted in pre-allo...so now there's two threads here (i got really confused when I saw this one because I posted in the other one and was wondering where my post went)

6. Arsenic

Attending Physician
    ha, thanks cirrus. i'll combine the 2 threads.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. OP
    OP
    SunshineNYC

SunshineNYC SunshineNYC
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Sorry I did that... I didn't realize that people hop around from forum to forum... I just thought I'd catch more people if I posted in both forums. Thanks for your input.

8. Cirrus83

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ah, I feel you, just figured I'd throw in my 2 cents in case you weren't from NYC, since I often see posts here from people who treat NYC as if murderers were waiting around every corner.

And for what it's worth, us younger people wonder how it'll feel to go to a school where there's so many married people with families :laugh: so I definitely know how you feel.

9. Arsenic

Attending Physician
    no prob, in the future just pick 1 forum. SDN doesnt allow cross posting in multiple forums.

goodluck sunshine, check out that NYU class of 2011 link i gave you. i'm sure people there will be able to help you.

10. OP
    OP
    SunshineNYC

SunshineNYC SunshineNYC
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Definitely, thanks. I just asked my question there as well.

11. Dakota

Dakota Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am a current student at NYU. There are a good number of students here who get engaged and married while in school (many of these are orthodox Jewish, but not all). A few do the commute from Brooklyn thing to live with their SO, husband, wife, etc.

I can understand how starting a family would be tough in NYC. There are one or two students who are currently MSIIIs and IVs who had kids while they were here, although I do not know how they found the experience. I can say NYU doesn't discourage it, but I am not sure as to what sort of support systems are in place. And as far as the students being young, I know 10 people or so who are 26-28 who are MSI's and tons of people who took one year off. Admittedly we don't have any 40 year olds.

We have a couples club, I'll try to find the Presidents e-mail address and PM it to you.