NYU fellowship - anyone living in Long Island City (LIC) ???

rcp1121

May 30, 2016
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    Hi all,

Will be staring Fellowship at NYU soon. Wanted to live close to the med. center for on-call convenience, but I've been hearing great things about Long Island City (LIC).

Anyone hear live in LIC and commute to NYU? I don't mind a short commute as it seems I could get a lot more for my money in terms of building quality and amenities.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks!

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
    Staff member
    Administrator
    Volunteer Staff
    Verified Expert
    15+ Year Member
    Mar 6, 2005
    1. Attending Physician
      LIC is a reasonably daytime (5a-11p)subway commute from NYU Med Center. Be sure to check the MTAs upcoming construction plans though. I know the L line (out to Hipsterville) is about to close for a 1-2y upgrade. Make sure that the N, R, E, M, F, 7 (wherever you wind up living) isn't planning the same.

And if you're going to be expected to come in overnight, set aside a bunch of cab/Uber money.

doc05

2K Member
      15+ Year Member
      May 24, 2003
      U.S.A.
        LIC is a reasonably daytime (5a-11p)subway commute from NYU Med Center. Be sure to check the MTAs upcoming construction plans though. I know the L line (out to Hipsterville) is about to close for a 1-2y upgrade. Make sure that the N, R, E, M, F, 7 (wherever you wind up living) isn't planning the same.

And if you're going to be expected to come in overnight, set aside a bunch of cab/Uber money.

wow that sounds awful. what is the OP's specialty??

About the Ads

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
        Staff member
        Administrator
        Volunteer Staff
        Verified Expert
        15+ Year Member
        Mar 6, 2005
        1. Attending Physician
          wow that sounds awful. what is the OP's specialty??
          I hope you're not asking me.

And, aside from the 2y closure of the hipster express (which cracks me up because it was closed for a year or so when I still lived there in the mid-2000s...not sure what they did then and what they're doing now), that's pretty much how NYC rolls. The subway runs 24/7 but it may take an hour to go 2 miles at 3am on a Tuesday.

NVO

7+ Year Member
          May 6, 2014
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            Not a resident, but I just wanted to say LIC is a nice place to be. It's developing, for better or worse (from gentrification), into the next williamsburg.

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.