NYU fellowship - anyone living in Long Island City (LIC) ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rcp1121

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Will be staring Fellowship at NYU soon. Wanted to live close to the med. center for on-call convenience, but I've been hearing great things about Long Island City (LIC).

Anyone hear live in LIC and commute to NYU? I don't mind a short commute as it seems I could get a lot more for my money in terms of building quality and amenities.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

LIC is a reasonably daytime (5a-11p)subway commute from NYU Med Center. Be sure to check the MTAs upcoming construction plans though. I know the L line (out to Hipsterville) is about to close for a 1-2y upgrade. Make sure that the N, R, E, M, F, 7 (wherever you wind up living) isn't planning the same.

And if you're going to be expected to come in overnight, set aside a bunch of cab/Uber money.

LIC is a reasonably daytime (5a-11p)subway commute from NYU Med Center. Be sure to check the MTAs upcoming construction plans though. I know the L line (out to Hipsterville) is about to close for a 1-2y upgrade. Make sure that the N, R, E, M, F, 7 (wherever you wind up living) isn't planning the same.

And if you're going to be expected to come in overnight, set aside a bunch of cab/Uber money.

wow that sounds awful. what is the OP's specialty??

wow that sounds awful. what is the OP's specialty??
I hope you're not asking me.

And, aside from the 2y closure of the hipster express (which cracks me up because it was closed for a year or so when I still lived there in the mid-2000s...not sure what they did then and what they're doing now), that's pretty much how NYC rolls. The subway runs 24/7 but it may take an hour to go 2 miles at 3am on a Tuesday.

Thanks for the response gutonc.

Going into Neuroradiology...may be called in 1-2x week for a procedure or two after hours.

Any other NY'ers feel free to chime in!

Not a resident, but I just wanted to say LIC is a nice place to be. It's developing, for better or worse (from gentrification), into the next williamsburg.