NYU Full Tuition vs Yale with 90% Loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontraditional

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which option would you choose?

Members don't see this ad.

They're paying for you to go to school in heart of Manhattan! I would definitely go with the full tuition scholarship at NYU. New Haven? :sleep: Any perceived repuation difference between these schools is not worth >150K of debt. The flexible curriculum at Yale, though, might warrant a *brief* second look, right before you come back to your senses and run with the money. Congrats on this enviable dilemma! :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd probably go with the scholarship. I'm in the same situation (but waitlisted at the school I might pick over the full tuition), and can't seem to be able to decide.

Nontraditional, I tried to pm you but couldn't (your pm is disabled). Pm me if you'd like to talk further.

How'd you receive full tuition? URM? Regardless, congrats that is an awesome acheivement!!!

Tough choice indeed. I think you'll have to make a distinction bewtween a school that has a heavy clinical emphasis and a school that has a heavy research component. Yale still has its med students write theses to graduate. Also students quite often take an extra year to complete research projects and work on publications. Yale may have a better match list but depends on what you want in a school and what field you want to go into. I think you can't go wrong and you should be SUPER proud.

Sometimes it's best to ask others' opinions on such matters, just in case my vision is a little cloudy. Often the ivy names are so enchanting that one is willing to dive into >$150K in debt to have them grace the resume.

Anyway, I am choosing NYU and I will never look back!

I would choose Yale hands down. You'll be much happier and be surrounded (in my opinion) by happier and more well rounded people. Their match list is better too. Then again, I've never really been impressed with NYU.

bonnie

missbonnie said:
I would choose Yale hands down. You'll be much happier and be surrounded (in my opinion) by happier and more well rounded people. Their match list is better too. Then again, I've never really been impressed with NYU.

bonnie

LOL, honestly, how could you POSSIBLY now which group of around 500 pple is more "well rounded." you wanna say the kids at yale might be a tad stronger academically, maybe. but well rounded?

Mr. Rosewater said:
LOL, honestly, how could you POSSIBLY now which group of around 500 pple is more "well rounded." you wanna say the kids at yale might be a tad stronger academically, maybe. but well rounded?

you're right, it's def. a generalization..but I do know that NYU is a number ***** and tends to like kids right out of school. i could say more but that might offend some folks ;)

bonnie

Having attended Harvard as an undergraduate, I can understand the tempation of wanting to attend an Ivy. However, I'm going to be a student at NYU this fall. It's a great school. I'm also from NYC, so I am biased.

The matchlist at NYU is strong. You can do whatever you want coming out of NYU. You will find success. I look forward to meeting you.

I don't really know much about either school, but New Haven blows, and Manhattan is relatively much more interesting. And, well, money is good.
On a slightly less simple-minded note, Miss Bonnie's statements are shocking, considering all she probably knows about these "well-rounded" students at Yale are what she gleaned from the ones she met during her interview there. THere are two major problems with this---the first is sampling bias, and the second is expectation bias. And to claim that NYU is a number ***** and that turns you off???!!?? Look at where you are going next year--possibly the school most known for its tendency to drop to its knees for a decent MCAT score and and Ivy league diploma. If you wanted well-rounded classmates, you better re-assess. Unless having a couple token classmates from--gasp--a state school is your idea of well-rounded.

nontraditional said:
Sometimes it's best to ask others' opinions on such matters, just in case my vision is a little cloudy. Often the ivy names are so enchanting that one is willing to dive into >$150K in debt to have them grace the resume.

Anyway, I am choosing NYU and I will never look back!

Great. I just hope it wasn't based mostly on $$. Although the debt seems substantial, I hope you chose where you think you would be happiest/fit in best with.

Members don't see this ad :)
missbonnie said:
you're right, it's def. a generalization..but I do know that NYU is a number ***** and tends to like kids right out of school. i could say more but that might offend some folks ;)

bonnie

you could be right. i was just nitpicking your post anyway. :)

missbonnie said:

bonnie

NYU number ****** more than Yale?? That coming from the mouth of a person that is going to attend the 2nd numbers ***** school in the country sounds just too damn funny.

Please tell us though, why are Yale students happier or more well rounded than the ones at NYU ? Don't worry about offending anyone anymore , you have already managed to offend plenty already.

missbonnie your posts make no sense. one day you say you're a nyc fanatic and the next you say you wouldn't even go to NYU for FREE over Yale??!!!! you must be crazy. and as for the numbers ***** thing, p&s is tops in the country so you don't exactly get a lot of credibility for that statement. if all you care about is the "yale" brand name, why don't you just say that instead of masking this belief under some false b.s.

granted i'm not an nyu fan either, but your line of arguments just pissed me off. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I think it's a little bit naive to say that one shouldn't take money into consideration when choosing med schools. First of all, this is a difference of 150,000+ dollars, not just a 5,000 dollar scholarship or something. Second, Yale is probably "better" than NYU, but they are both reputable schools.

Think about how nice it will be when you are a resident and while everybody is throwing 50% of their salary into paying off loans, you can afford to get yourself a nicer apartment, maybe a car, etc. etc. It's hard to look 4 years into the future and realize it, but I think I'd definitely take NYU!

i am an nyc fanatic, but I'm also not a fan of NYU. I don't say it makes sense and I 'm not going to try to either. I also have a love affair with yale sometimes - it's just a dreamy school for many reasons - no grades, the thesis (which i actually like), the encouraging & supportive atmosphere, etc etc. I also don't put $$ in the equation when choosing schools, which seems to be a big concern of the OP. I don't have 250K i the bank either, but I try not to let cirucmstances like that choose for me. I've just met too many unhappy NYU students and things they've said about their school; small sample size? Of course. It's funny how ppl assume things based on a few words. As for P&S number whoring, I suppose that's true from their average GPA/MCATs, but mine are somewhat far below their averages for the most part. later.

b

missbonnie said:
i am an nyc fanatic, but I'm also not a fan of NYU. I don't say it makes sense and I 'm not going to try to either. I also have a love affair with yale sometimes - it's just a dreamy school for many reasons - no grades, the thesis (which i actually like), the encouraging & supportive atmosphere, etc etc. I also don't put $$ in the equation when choosing schools, which seems to be a big concern of the OP. I don't have 250K i the bank either, but I try not to let cirucmstances like that choose for me. I've just met too many unhappy NYU students and things they've said about their school; small sample size? Of course. It's funny how ppl assume things based on a few words. As for P&S number whoring, I suppose that's true from their average GPA/MCATs, but mine are somewhat far below their averages for the most part. later.

b

It does look like considering your stats and schools you applied, Columbia is not a number whoring school in your case... I'm sure there were something Columbia liked about you.

missbonnie said:

bonnie

look at her profile people. :idea:

Yeah, by the way, what's wrong with going to med school right out of undergrad?

There's nothing wrong with going to med school right out of undergrad.
However, it is nice to have classmates with a diversity of experience, especially for people who have worked for a year or two. Having had a full time job has given me a different perspective on going to school, and I would appreciate having some classmates with similar experiences. I'm not trying to say that it is better for everyone to take time between undergrad and med school, just that, as someone who has, I really appreciate what I've learned from it and want to be around other people who have also.

hale-bopp said:
There's nothing wrong with going to med school right out of undergrad.
However, it is nice to have classmates with a diversity of experience, especially for people who have worked for a year or two. Having had a full time job has given me a different perspective on going to school, and I would appreciate having some classmates with similar experiences. I'm not trying to say that it is better for everyone to take time between undergrad and med school, just that, as someone who has, I really appreciate what I've learned from it and want to be around other people who have also.

Everyone i met on interview day was fresh out of college. Helps make NYU one of the best looking student bodies but also is a detracting factor for those who have had "real-life" experiences and are looking for classmates who have done the same. On a positive. SUNY Downstate had alot of "non-traditional" students and was super excited it sounded by applicants who have challeneged themselves outside of school and experienced life.

I'm going to have to go with Yale in this case. However, I have a legitimate reason other than the fact that it has more "prestige" (however you'd like to define that) than NYU. The medical school degree will be something that sticks with you for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. Let's assume that someone matriculates into medical school right after undergrad (as is the case most of the time) and enters med school at age 22. This person then graduates medical school at age 26 and enters residency. This person will be practicing medicine from age 26 to age 65 (a reasonable age to retire). That leaves 39 YEARS in between....39 YEARS of that degree hanging on the wall of wherever that physician practices...39 YEARS of curious patients asking the physicians where they attended medical school (prospective patients who want to do their homework before blindly choosing a physican).

Since this decision has a long term ramification and you only get to make this decision ONCE in your life, I think the prospective medical student should go to the BEST medical school that they are admitted to that has the best residency match list. I'm assuming that the prospective med student would be happy living in both areas, clicks well with the faculty and students at both schools, generally likes the atmosphere and teaching style of both schools, etc.

Why base this decision on some dollar amount that the VAST MAJORITY of physicians pay off in the years following their graduation. 150k debt doesn't mean that you'll be writing checks to the bank when you're 50...it just means that you won't be able to enjoy as much of your salary for the first X years coming out of your medical school. Yes, if the student goes to NYU instead...they can afford a bigger apartment, a better car, etc...but should the applicant REALLY factor in what kind of apartment and car (s)he can be buying into this huge decision? Cars and apartments COME AND GO...money...comes and goes...your education and your degree stay with you for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. Don't sell yourself short...

That's my 2 cents...

Take the money, my friend. Don't be stupid. If you need assurance that NYU has a great reputation, take a closer look at the match list for 2004. There are plenty of top ten matches in a variety of specialties, including the most competitive ones (diagnostic radiology at NYU, Brigham and Women's, etc.; neurosurgery at University of Florida; internal medicine at Harvard; ophthalmology at Iowa; general surgery at MGH, Michigan, etc.).

I think that people who turn down full-tuition scholarships from NYU are absolutely nuts. The choice is obvious here: Yale is NOT worth the extra $150,000 of debt. From the standpoint of career placement, where you go to medical school is not nearly as important as where you do your residency; academic success at NYU (which will definitely be true for you; after all they did offer you a sh*tload of money, so you must have some serious academic aptitude) will make you very competitive for any residency you desire, especially on the eastern seaboard.

Take the money! Forget about Yale.

Oh, and one more thing: your patients don't give a crap about where you went to medical school. They only care about how well you treat them. Don't believe me? Try this: the next time you shadow a physician, ask him/her how many times a patient has inquired as to where he/she went to medical school. You'll discover that patients very rarely (if ever) ask this question.

BioMedResearch said:
Everyone i met on interview day was fresh out of college. Helps make NYU one of the best looking student bodies but also is a detracting factor for those who have had "real-life" experiences and are looking for classmates who have done the same. On a positive. SUNY Downstate had alot of "non-traditional" students and was super excited it sounded by applicants who have challeneged themselves outside of school and experienced life.

are the 25+ yr old hags @ SUNY less cute than the 21 year old babettes at NYU?

nontraditional said:
Which option would you choose?

NYU vs. Yale

Hey nontrad,

If I were in your shower sandals, I would choose Yale because it is a better school. It has a higher ranking, it is a member of the Ivy league, it is more prestigious, it will help you get into very competitive residencies across the nation, it attracts professors that are among the best in the nation and hence will give you a very valuable, elite medical education.

I think you'll make a very comfortable living in the future with a career in medicine and hence, you'll be able to pay off the loans. But your Yale education will be with you forever and so will your Yale diploma. I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to study at one of the best, most prestigious medical schools in the United States. Some things are worth the cost. And Yale is one of those rare things that is worth every penny.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Well to add to what has been said, your bank account won't care one iota where you went to school. If you go, do well, match well, and are loved by your patients and references you'll make more bank than most physicians regardless of where they went to school. This shouldn't be your motivation, but it is something that should free you up to follow your heart.

Chirurgien said:
NYU vs. Yale
it is more prestigious, it will help you get into very competitive residencies across the nation, it attracts professors that are among the best in the nation and hence will give you a very valuable, elite medical education.

I would choose NYU hands down. As my advisor told me, "you'll learn how to do a rectal exam wherever you go." Besides, we're talking about NYU vs. Yale. Not Medical de Trinidad vs. Yale.

BerkeleyPremed said:
Since this decision has a long term ramification and you only get to make this decision ONCE in your life, I think the prospective medical student should go to the BEST medical school that they are admitted to that has the best residency match list.

1) Y'all gotta stop flaming bonnie. She's contributed her opinion (here and elsewhere); nothing more, nothing less. Opinions are all we can give.

2) What makes an institution the "best" medical school is very subjective. "Best," in this case, might include the fact that the OP is being offered a full scholarship.

It's a tough call. Both are good schools, but probably for different reasons. Of course NYU has Bellevue and its patient base absolutely obliterates New Haven's. But, Yale is probably stronger on the research side.

Ankitovich offers valuable advice: It's all about you from here. Nobody is going to care where you went to med school or did your residency--especially if you're going into primary care. Go where you think you can learn to treat patients best.

Lastly, I *really* hate to say it, but part of life is networking too. Weigh where you think you might have a better chance of developing the contacts that you'll want or need later in life.

1) The people who are offered multiple acceptances to high ranked medical schools are people who have shown through their educational backround (and standardized tests) that they have the ability to perform really well in school. The reason that you see the impressive match lists at Harvard, WashU and Hopkins is because their students are really top notch. If you took 10 Hopkins students and send them to Meharry they would still perform in such ways that they would get prestigious residencies.

2) Don't judge happyness of medical students by the lithium needing robots that you see on your interview days. If you saw me during this year (which is my 3rd), you would run away from the school that i attend. How happy can a school make you anyway? I can ensure you that the "happyness" that you all seem to refer to is pretty much fake. Medical school has it's ups and downs just like anything else.

3) Connections, friendships, etc. Whenever i talk to friends of mine who are fellows, they all seem to say one thing to me. The relationships that they made in medical school are pretty much gone. Most people will spread around the country. When you do your residency those are going to be your new "friends", when you get to your fellowship then you make new "friends". All these friendships of course have experation dates. Remember the ones in highschool or college ? Well medical school ones are no different. Most of my friends are not in medical school with me or they were friends with me before we started med school.

4) I was accepted to NYU when i was applying to medical schools and i was not 21 years old.

5) Noone cares where you went to medical school. If you check most practices have physicians from all over the place. Do a search on google on practices with 15 physicians and look where they all went. You will see a Harvard MD working with a Howard MD. Furthermore, unless you are a namedropper, most people won't care to know where you went to school. You are going to get more respect socially if you were a CT surgeon that graduated from Rush than a family practioner from Harvard (example).

I did attend both a prestigious undergrad and medical school. However i never had any scholarship nor a state school (i was an international student during undergrad). I think that you should feel extremely lucky and honoured.

ZephyrX said:
3) Connections, friendships, etc. Whenever i talk to friends of mine who are fellows, they all seem to say one thing to me. The relationships that they made in medical school are pretty much gone. Most people will spread around the country. When you do your residency those are going to be your new "friends", when you get to your fellowship then you make new "friends". All these friendships of course have experation dates. Remember the ones in highschool or college ? Well medical school ones are no different. Most of my friends are not in medical school with me or they were friends with me before we started med school.

Some, especially those seeking high profile positions or academically oriented careers, will highly benefit from contacts. That's why I said I hate to say it: I was talking about favors and not friendships.

missbonnie said:

bonnie

If NYU's a #'s *****, what does that make Yale? A numbers pimp? Isn't Yales GPA and MCAT score higher than NYU's posted average?

jlee9531 said:
i know seriously....

im not sure what this means. obviously, my argument doesn't makes a lotta sense. i dont want to watch "kill bill" the movie cuz i dont like the name.

b

BigRedPingpong said:
If NYU's a #'s *****, what does that make Yale? A numbers pimp? Isn't Yales GPA and MCAT score higher than NYU's posted average?

thats only because the applicants with the high stats that get accepted to nyu most likely end up somewhere else.

missbonnie said:
im not sure what this means. obviously, my argument doesn't makes a lotta sense. i dont want to watch "kill bill" the movie cuz i dont like the name.

b

I'm watching Kill Bill tonight. party at my place! :clap:

10minutes said:
Yeah, by the way, what's wrong with going to med school right out of undergrad?

Older "nontrad" students make better doctors. Along with people with lower UG GPA's, Lower Mcat scores, More worthless ECs, who partied more as an undergrad, etc.

Sheesh haven't you been paying any attention to SDN?

:rolleyes:

Well, after reading the thread, I must say I actually disagree with most of what has been said. And, clearly, I'm biased.

It's true that for competitive specialties and academic medicine, going to a place like YSM helps, but, as someone pointed out, NYU is a very good school. This argument might carry more weight if you were considering a lower tier school.

Anyway, something that people failed to mention is what I feel is the only difference between NYU and Yale that to the right person might be worth $150k: the Yale System. Seriously, it's hard to explain how much difference it makes until you see it in action. I think that has to be your primary factor. Are you the type of person that wants the more traditional curriculum or would you thrive at a place like Yale?
But, I'm not saying Yale's for everyone.
You can't imagine what the freedom and flexibility of the Yale System do for both your intellectual development and everyday life. I think that the educational experience in itself would be drastically different, even though you would become a good doctor coming out of either place. That's what I think you should consider.
Good luck.

HOW DID YOU GET A FULL RIDE TO NYU?????????? :eek: Did you apply to some scholarship or did you fill out the financial aid and then they gave you a scholarship? Let me know.

Hmmm, I guess I am biased since many of my happy thoughts are centered on the opportunity to see something other than Yale (though it is a beautiful university). But I will toss in my vote nonetheless: NYU full-ride.

The opportunity to attend a well-reputed medical school free of charge is one that is very hard to pass up, and since both schools might allow for equal opportunity depending upon whether one is willing to seek it out, I would say take the money and don't look back.

But I'm just another pre-med who you don't know from Eve...so there you have it...

how did you get a full scholarship to NYU?

nevermind how you got a full ride to NYU... how did you get a YALE decision so early???? I thought they don't hand out ANY decisions until March??? someone correct me if im wrong

stormpr said:
nevermind how you got a full ride to NYU... how did you get a YALE decision so early???? I thought they don't hand out ANY decisions until March??? someone correct me if im wrong

Look at the date of the original post - April 2004.

stormpr said:

This is an OLD THREAD!!!!!!!! From last Spring. No one is making this decision right now!