NYU general surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dancing homer

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was looking through NYU's general surgery website and saw in the FAQ section that average board scores for appliants in 2005-6 was 240. Is it just me or does that sound kinda high? Thanks for your insight

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't sound high at all to me. New York programs tend to be very competitive. I would bet that NYU, Cornell, Columbia, and Sinai all have similar numbers. 240 is only 1 standard deviation above the mean.

Seems about right. The days of 220 or above being a safe score for surgery are gone. Now it's more like 230 or above - higher for top programs.

Oddly enough, last year I spoke to someone on the interview trail who had done a sub-I at NYU. She told me she was shocked by how little experience in the OR the residents at NYU were given. According to her it wasn't unusual to seen PGY3's chomping at the bit to be given a chance to close - such was the paucity of their OR experience. She definately wouldn't rank the place, she confided. Well, I was looking at program websites about a week ago to see if I recognized anyone from the trail. I noticed that this very same person who was badmouthing NYU was listed as one of the new NYU catagorical interns for 06/07. Just goes to show, you can't really trust much of the word of mouth "information" that you get from other candidates during the season.

If NYU wasn't already malignant enough, the addition of this individual just made it a little bit more malignant. I'm glad I ranked NYU low on my list. I'd hate to have to work with colleages like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems about right. The days of 220 or above being a safe score for surgery are gone. Now it's more like 230 or above - higher for top programs.

Oddly enough, last year I spoke to someone on the interview trail who had done a sub-I at NYU. She told me she was shocked by how little experience in the OR the residents at NYU were given. According to her it wasn't unusual to seen PGY3's chomping at the bit to be given a chance to close - such was the paucity of their OR experience. She definately wouldn't rank the place, she confided. Well, I was looking at program websites about a week ago to see if I recognized anyone from the trail. I noticed that this very same person who was badmouthing NYU was listed as one of the new NYU catagorical interns for 06/07. Just goes to show, you can't really trust much of the word of mouth "information" that you get from other candidates during the season.

If NYU wasn't already malignant enough, the addition of this individual just made it a little bit more malignant. I'm glad I ranked NYU low on my list. I'd hate to have to work with colleages like that.

im suspicious that you really ranked it high on your list and are trying to convince others to rank it low to help your chances...im onto you;)

Has anyone read the review of NYU on Scutwork posted in 2006? Whoever wrote it seemed very disgruntal and was not at all complimentary of the program. I was wondering how much truth there is in this post, or whether that intern's views does not necessarily reflect the feelings of all in the program.