NYU - How expensive are living costs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hh24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
We all know this - NYC is an expensive city to live in. But I would love to hear about how much NYU students are roughly paying for rent each month/other spendings (food, utilities, etc...), and where students usually live. I really do want to attend this school, but the thought of high housing debt (compared to attending other schools) on top of tuition debt worries me.

Members don't see this ad.

When I interviewed there, a student told me it was about $1500 for just rent. I told her I planned to do HPSP and it doesn't sound like I'd have enough each month, and she said her roommate was on the scholarship and still had to take out loans...

Expect to pay at least $2,000/month for a decent apartment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get an apartment in Queens/Brooklyn/Jersey City with some roommates and you can easily find apartments for $1000/month (or less) per person. Commute is not that bad if you get a place near the train,

for the first 2 years i'd say live close to school. you're looking to pay anywhere from 1400+ if you live closer to school.

@BobbyBeavis i have a few friends who are doing HPSP as well. some are taking loans, some are getting help from parents. either way, from what i understand rent eats up a lot of that allowance you guys get

also, commuting from NJ is a bad idea since you'll likely have to go crosstown in rush hour traffic every single day. from queens or brooklyn doesn't seem bad, but by living by the train and then investing in a unlimited metro card, your savings will be minimal (or in other words not worth it). you need to live deep into queens or brooklyn to truly save $$. and it isn't worth the commute

for the first 2 years i'd say live close to school. you're looking to pay anywhere from 1400+ if you live closer to school.

@BobbyBeavis i have a few friends who are doing HPSP as well. some are taking loans, some are getting help from parents. either way, from what i understand rent eats up a lot of that allowance you guys get

also, commuting from NJ is a bad idea since you'll likely have to go crosstown in rush hour traffic every single day. from queens or brooklyn doesn't seem bad, but by living by the train and then investing in a unlimited metro card, your savings will be minimal (or in other words not worth it). you need to live deep into queens or brooklyn to truly save $$. and it isn't worth the commute

Yeah, seems way too hard to do, especially during a stressful time of our lives! NYC wasn't for me, anyhow. I've always lived in the city but it was just.... too big.