NYU- how to get to airport

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sadeqq

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys--

I have my interview @ NYU monday nov. 18...... if anyone is from the new york area or familiar with NY, could you please give a clue how to get a ride from NYU to LaGuardia Airport. If i cant figure things out i guess ill just takea cab, but i would prefer to take the subway/bus.

thanks

si

Members don't see this ad.

You will be better off taking a cab. It is a fixed rate of $35. Taking buses and subways are great in manhattan but it is difficult to take them to airports. If you really want to it is possisble but many transfers will be necessary and it will take a long time.

Ok, here are bus directions as it is the only way to get to LaGuardia:

Take the M15 on First ave to 125th street (Should be able to catch it on the corner of 23rd street and 1st avenue). Ask for a transfer from the bus driver if you pay with coins. If you pay with Metrocard the transfer is already on it.
Transfer to the M60 toward LGA on I believe 2nd avenue and 125th street. You can walk from First to Second Ave, less than five minute walk.

Double check with the bus driver where you can catch the M60.
Overall it would cost you $1.50 but take about 1 hour. Cab ride would be $35 but take about 30-45 minutes depending on traffic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Pasha,

I wish I knew that route. I mapped my own bus/subway route, It took me really about an hour plus.

I walked over to 23rd and 6th and took the R train toward Jefferson and Roosevelt. Then took the Q33 to la Guardia. It cost me 3 bucks. I wish I knew about the Metro! We got stuck behind a Septic Tank Truck that was pumping out sewage from a one way street for 15 minutes.

sadeqq,

Here is the R train route

http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/rline.htm

I doubt you will use it though.

Do not attempt to take public transportation from any airport to NYU dental school. It is slow and dirty and you will be tired from the experience if you do not get lost.

If you need to save money there is an airport bus that is inexpensive, clean, fast and reliable. I think it is about $11 one way. They travel frequently and generally go to midtown hotels. You can get off on the first stop in Manhattan and take a cab from there. I do NOT think it goes near NYU. Check the LGA airport web site under ground transportation.

If I could afford it, I think a cab is the best way. Make sure to have the street address and cross street (1st ave and 23st or whatever it is) and directions from the airport. You don't want the cabbie to get lost. Some of them have very little experience. I have had very good experiences in recent years in NYC cabs. They usually just call the dispatcher and ask where the landmark is.

I'll be back in NYC early next year. I will fly to LGA and take the airport bus directly to my midtown hotel. :cool:

Jon

Doc^2,

That literally was my experience. There is nothing "dirtier" than a septic tank truck. But It was fun, I spoke to an elderly lady who moved to New York 35 years ago from CAlifornia. I guess she spotted a Californian right off the bat. I talked to her all the way through to the Airport and I found that there were people that helped me find streets and bus stops. It really gave me a chance to experience New York life. I guess I was just lucky!! I checked out the LGA Website and I did not find out about that $11 Airport bus. I wish I knew about that!

Mutans,
In regards to you first post about it costing 3 bucks, it should cost 1.50...you need a metrocard as it is a free xfer from subway to bus and vice versa. By the way, you were not "lucky" in regards to your experience in NY. NYers are nice people, contrary to popular belief.
You can take the 6 train uptown to 125th street also and transfer to the M60. 6 Train is located on 23rd and Park Ave and also on 28th & Park.
Let me claify something I said before: I gave the only route to LGA strictly from Manhattan. The M60 is the only form of transportation to LGA from Manhattan. The Q33 is from Queens, hence the Q in Q33.

Docsquared,
As a lifelong New Yorker I take offense to your criticism of our transportation system. It is by far the best system in the country and few rival it in the world. Most buses and subway cars are clean, maybe you were unlucky.

I know there is a ferry to LGA on 8th ave and 42nd street, about 40 mins walking distance. Also there is a Blue van service called Super Shuttle which picks you up by your residence.

chill out pashaj...too many people on this forum take things too personally...seriously, chill out...worry about more important things...

Yeah you're right. I just hate the bad rep NY gets for nothing.
By the way Mayor Bloomberg takes the subway to city hall every day (6 train).

I am not a New Yorker, but that is what I found. A lot of people helped me out to get to the hotel and NYU. Contrary to New York Stigma! I :love: NY.

I am from New York and I think the subway is a fine way to travel for leisure trips. It is also very crowded at rush hour and difficult to navagate if you don't know where you are going. The people in New York have been very nice to me on my last two trips to NYC. I will be back in February. Since I grew up in Yonkers and traveled to NYC on many weekends I think I know about subways. Boston and Chicago are much cleaner but NY carries many more passengers per day. I don't think it is appropriate for someone dressed in interview clothes. Also the last time I was in NYC the subway line I tried to take was shut down and I had to go by an alternate route. Most people from out of town have trouble reading a NYC subway map. It might be a nice adventure to try to get to the airport AFTER the interview. Here is the bus information from the LaGuardia Airport Site:

LaGuardia Airport to Midtown Manhattan/East Side
Midtown Manhattan/East Side Grand Central Terminal (Vanderbilt Ave. and 42nd Streets) Transfer available to hotels between 27th and 59th Streets. New York Airport Service Express Bus
(718) 875-8200
$10 - $12 Every 15 - 30 minutes
7:20 AM to 11:00 PM
Travel time: 30 - 45 minutes,
longer at peak hours

BTW NYC is much safer now than when I lived in Yonkers.