NYU meal plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

nyu2007dds

NYU dental students, what are your meal plans? I don't want to cook during the week. ;) Which plan would you suggest??

Members don't see this ad.

beans beans and more beans; good for the teeth, excellent for the memory and easy on the wallet
;)

Dentoman, I didn't ask for what to eat! :) I am more interested in finding out what meal plan I should sign up for that would feed my empty stomach during the week and also closer to dental school and dorms.

Members don't see this ad :)
the cheap one!

i didn't know anybody who did the meal plan. the cafeterias that honor the nyu meal plans are far away and are a hassle to get to.

one word: spaghetti

My sister says Steve's hotdog stand is a good place to go to for lunch once in a while. He sets up every day on the corner of 26th and 1st, one block from NYUCD. She lived off his gyros and souvlakis whenever she was in a rush-- for her four years of dental school there. :D

Me, I believe it. A few weeks ago when I was doing my Oromaxillofacial Surgery externship at Bellevue across the street, the OMFS department staff and residents frequent Steve's hotdog stand and I tagged along. His souvlaki is pretty durn good.

Pi_Guy, are/were you a student at NYU? Are you sure they don't have cafeterias at the dorms that accept the meal plans? how about the cafeteria that we ate on the interview, do they honor the meal plans? I am much of a fan of spaghetti or hotdogs like UB Tom said, so I would prefer to spend a little more but more convenient.

Thanks for sharing guys!!

i lived at 26th street last year and did enjoy some of the fine cooking by steve. tell him you're a student and he'll hook you up.

the dental school cafeteria kinda sucks. they don't do any meal plans, but what you can do is put $$ on your school ID card and use that instead of cash. (i'm pretty sure you can do this...double check tho)

another option (what i did sometimes) is volunteer to do interview lunches. you meet around 12pm and get free lunches. i did this a lot my first semester, but after a while, it just got old...

So, what is the point of getting a meal plan if the dorms and dental cafeterias don't honor it. I guess we all have to cook in the winter because it will be too cold to eat out.

heheee :) I didn't know that those students we met at the interview got free lunches. That's nice!

Here's the deal, being a 3rd year student at NYU I've had quite a bit of experience as far as what to eat and where to eat.

During my first year, I actually got a meal plan in the beginning of the fall semester and then I realized something interesting. There is no cafeteria in the 26th street dorm where I lived. The closest dining hall is on 3rd avenue and 14th street, which is a 20 minute walk from the dorm or a 10 minute ride on the NYU bus (if it comes at all)

If you will be living in the 26th street dorm, you will have a kitchenette in your room with a decent size fridge and there are a few supermarkets around for you to do a quick grocery shopping. Believe it or not, it will save you money in the long run vs having to pay for a meal plan. In case you didn't notice, meal plans at NYU cost a pretty penny and the dining halls are not very conveniently located.

Aside from supermarkets, there are a ton of places around here to eat and some of them even offer student discounts. As for the cafeteria inside the school, as some people have said already, it's not all that and a bit overpriced, but it comes in handy on those rainy or snowy days when you want to grab some food and not go outside.

If you still want to go along with the meal plan, you can give it a shot and see how it works out for you. NYU gives you a few weeks to cancel the meal plan with almost a full refund.

Hope it helps,