NYU MPH anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dudulche

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from NYU MPH? I submitted my application mid Jan and have not heard back yet. Beginning to assume it's a reject....

Members don't see this ad.

I heard back on Feb 22.. but I am still waiting on 2 more schools so I'm not sure if that means anything

Do you know anyone who did the program or know anything about the program/how it is?

I heard back on Feb 22.. but I am still waiting on 2 more schools so I'm not sure if that means anything

Do you know anyone who did the program or know anything about the program/how it is?

I see. No I don't know much about the program. I don't even know how it ranks comparing to others since it's not in US NEWS ranking.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email on Feb 6th stating my application was complete and another on the 27th with an acceptance/scholarship. Hope you get yours soon!

I got my decision/scholarship offer on Feb 24. Good luck!

I'm actually attending NYU this fall for the dual-degree MPH/MSW program. I am really excited. Is anyone else planning to attend? Any other dual-degree candidates out there?

I received my acceptance and scholarship on 1/16. I submitted my application late November/ early December I believe. I was accepted to the Community and International Health Program. however I won't be attending.

I received my acceptance and scholarship on 1/16. I submitted my application late November/ early December I believe. I was accepted to the Community and International Health Program. however I won't be attending.
I've been accepted to the same program (Community and International Health) at NYU and was wondering what made you decide not to attend? Did you receive an offer from another school?

Hey! I was accepted into the MPH-nutrition program at NYU, which is my dream school! I found out in early March. I have a few scholarships/FA but that is still not enough to cover the cost tuition. It seems like it will be difficult to get a GA/RA position since they don't offer any. I can't justify have 40,000 + in loans to be working in public health, although I know NYU would open a lot of doors for me.

Not to get too personal, but those of you who are attending, how are you paying?

I have also been accepted to their MPH Program (Community and International Health)..no scholarship or aid for me :( plus being an international student makes private loans harder to secure! phew!!!!!!

Hi,
I'm attending the NYU MPH, i'm in the dual program. I was just wondering if anyone has looked into housing in the area. I'm Canadian and would really appreciate any advice, and if anyone knows of people in the program looking for roommates let me know!
Kim

though i have nothing to do with this, but my gf is a dental student at nyu, and we went through the similar issues last year finding housing and etc. housing is expensive in the area, so it's good to start looking EARLY. craig's list was a good source we looked into, but i also suggest talking to some of the nyu students (if you know any) to ask where they find housing and etc. good luck!

Hi,
I'm attending the NYU MPH, i'm in the dual program. I was just wondering if anyone has looked into housing in the area. I'm Canadian and would really appreciate any advice, and if anyone knows of people in the program looking for roommates let me know!
Kim

I am in the same boat as you. All I have heard is that the rent is crazy high and the NYU dorms are ghetto.

Roger, do you how much your sister pays for rent on aggregate? Does she live in Manhattan? I want to know an estimate cause I don't trust the ones listed by NYU admissions.

I am in the same boat as you. All I have heard is that the rent is crazy high and the NYU dorms are ghetto.

Roger, do you how much your sister pays for rent on aggregate? Does she live in Manhattan? I want to know an estimate cause I don't trust the ones listed by NYU admissions.

i was just in nyc this weekend, and was talking to my girlfriend about this. my girlfriend lives near the dental school, which is on 1st and 25th, and she pays $1,600 / month for her room sharing a 2 bedrooms and 1 converted room apartment (i guess that counts as 3 bedrooms?) with two others. with an increasing 5 - 10% rent increase each year (to be expected), she is looking to move out of her current place. she also says that most of the apartments in manhattan will not know if their tentants are staying or moving out until june, and that's when they will have all the deals and etc. she suggests to look for the areas where you are interested in, which apartments, and etc. when it comes to june 1st, start contacting the managers at these apartments to get first proprieties. however, i must say my gf's family is somewhat well off, and she lives at a fairly nice apartment. so i'd think somewhere near $1,200 / month for a room should be the average price.

i was just in nyc this weekend, and was talking to my girlfriend about this. my girlfriend lives near the dental school, which is on 1st and 25th, and she pays $1,600 / month for her room sharing a 2 bedrooms and 1 converted room apartment (i guess that counts as 3 bedrooms?) with two others. with an increasing 5 - 10% rent increase each year (to be expected), she is looking to move out of her current place. she also says that most of the apartments in manhattan will not know if their tentants are staying or moving out until june, and that's when they will have all the deals and etc. she suggests to look for the areas where you are interested in, which apartments, and etc. when it comes to june 1st, start contacting the managers at these apartments to get first proprieties. however, i must say my gf's family is somewhat well off, and she lives at a fairly nice apartment. so i'd think somewhere near $1,200 / month for a room should be the average price.

I've lived here for a long time, so I can tell you that New York City is expensive but manageable. True, you won't get much apartment for your money. However, if you live deep in Brooklyn, rent can be much better than around NYU. And it's a short subway ride to NYU from most places in Brooklyn. NYC makes up for high rents in other ways: food is relatively inexpensive, you don't need a car, you can find cheap bars if you look hard, and of course there are all sorts of extracurricular opportunities.

Craigslist is where most people without previous ties to NYC find apartments and roommates. If you get your own place, you will probably have to pay an agent's fee, which can be over a month's worth of rent! I don't know about NYU, but the dorms at Columbia and Hunter are not good deals. My guess is that NYU would be worse.

I was accepted to NYU, but even with the scholarship, I find it too expensive. I'm just not prepared to drop that much on a public health degree that promises moderate wages at graduation. Also, it's a very new program, which can be seen as good or bad depending on how industrious you are. I think it would be exciting to help build a program.