Nyu mph

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ms2rivers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a student at Oakland University. I am majoring in Health Science with a concentration of Integrative Holistic Medicine. I have a pretty low GPA of 2.90, but I can bring it up since I still have a year left until I graduate. I currently volunteer as a research assistant/student observer at Beamont Research Institute, Division of Weight Control. I have years of work experience in various retail chains, and a pharmacy retail chain.

I wish to apply to the Masters in Public Health at New York University for the Spring semester 2011.

What do you think my chances are if I apply, and what can I do to help my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

My gpa in undergrad was pretty low, same as u. I had no motivation to do well in undergrad, but now im studying something i love with a gpa of 3.83 and working fulltime in a field i like alot (hospital admin) I suggest you take 1 or 2 years off work full time and gain some experience and then apply. This shows that you're bringing something to the program. Also study ur ass off for the GREs get good recommendations from 1 professor and 2 folks from ur job. This worked for me. Chances are you wont get any scholarships, but u will get into school, take out loans or ask if ur job will reimburse u.

I am currently a student at Oakland University. I am majoring in Health Science with a concentration of Integrative Holistic Medicine. I have a pretty low GPA of 2.90, but I can bring it up since I still have a year left until I graduate. I currently volunteer as a research assistant/student observer at Beamont Research Institute, Division of Weight Control. I have years of work experience in various retail chains, and a pharmacy retail chain.

I wish to apply to the Masters in Public Health at New York University for the Spring semester 2011.

What do you think my chances are if I apply, and what can I do to help my chances?

I think your chances are good. I don't think it's super competitive. I got in and I am nothing special, trust me. But I think you should also apply to lots of programs and schools, don't only apply to NYU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the advice! However, due to the way things are going in life, I doubt I will be able to take a year or two off to work. Any other advice?

I am actually planning on taking the MCAT in September because I was planning on sending in some apps for a few med schools next year. Would that better help my chances compared to the GRE?

Thanks

Thank you for the advice! However, due to the way things are going in life, I doubt I will be able to take a year or two off to work. Any other advice?

I am actually planning on taking the MCAT in September because I was planning on sending in some apps for a few med schools next year. Would that better help my chances compared to the GRE?

Thanks

It will only help you if you do better on the MCAT than you do on the GRE. Some people do better on the MCAT. For schools who accept the MCAT/GMAT etc in lieu of the GRE, one test doesn't hold more weight than another. It's like using the ACT to substitute for the SAT.

Thanks

I think the poster was saying take some time off from school and work full time/get more experience in the field, not don't work full time. :)

Getting a good GRE/MCAT score will definitely help you out. Contact the school directly, explain your background and specifically ask what you can do to strengthen your app. Most times schools will be pretty upfront about it. Good luck.