NYU, Mt. Sinai, Emory, Einstein vs Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

standoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of withdrawing from these schools since I got into the University of michigan . Is there any redeeming factor for these schools that you guys think would make them a better choice than michigan? I know they are certainly ranked lower, assumed they are not as strong academically, and although they are in a nice city, that doesn't seem to be a strong enough selling point for me to justify spending money to interview there, and paying private school tuition over my in-state michigan tuition.
thanks in advance,

Standoc

Members don't see this ad.

Although I haven't seen Michigan, I was VERY pleasantly surprised when I interviewed at Emory. The faculty there seemed very receptive to the medical students, all of whom seemed happy. The curriculum was a good mix of PBL and lecture. Atlanta was a great place, the cost of living was cheap. The first year class was very socially cohesive, and all of the students I met were interesting, engaging people.

I DO know Michigan is a great school, and I'm not sure if you'll get the same feeling from Emory as I did (they have concurrent exams, so if you happen to be going right before a set of those, then you willg et a COMPLETELY different view), but in my eyes it's worth a shot.

Just my 2 cents.

Interseting... another friend of mine who got into michigan said he was still considering Emory as well. I'm leaning toward interviewing there. Anybody have opinions about the rest?

standoc

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at Mount Sinai and Emory and really liked them both. I turned down the invitation to interview at NYU and Einstein, whichwas probably a big mistake, but I didn't feel like spending the money, and I didn't apply to michigan. But I say, if you have the time and money, go to the Emory and Sinai interviews, and if you have to choose between them, I recommend Sinai .

Although I only applied to two of the schools you mentioned (Mt Sinai and NYU), I would say that, given your introduction, it is not worth the time, effort, or money to go to your other interviews. Not only is Michigan a great school, but, as you mentioned, you'd be saving a lot of money in tuition. Add on to that the fact that, in NYC's case, you'd be spending a lot more money on everyday expenses, and I think that you really have little reason to go interview there, unless you have the time and money and feel like taking a trip.
School-wise, I think that Michigan is certainly on par if not 'better than' the rest of the schools you mentioned. The only thing I can think of that may be worth mentioning is this: it might be worthwhile to compare the matchlists of the schools, if only to consider the geographic locations of where the schools place. I'm guessing (and this is simply an unfounded assertion) that from Michigan you'll get a lot more Michigan/Chicago/Ohio, etc. schools than from, say, NYU.
If you're okay with the location of the matchlist from Michigan, I think in the end you'll be plenty happy with the school (again, assuming you're okay with Michigan weather since you're from the state). Plus, the potential savings versus the other schools is enough to make students from other states without such heavy-hitter public universities crazy.
Best of luck in your decision.

standoc, if you didn't go to michigan as an undergrad.. then you'd totally be missing out on a great experience at michigan!! BUT there are alot of those southern belles down in Georgia! And the sophisticated hot girls (although a bit princessy) in New York. But do they compare to Michigan football?

Gosh, I would love to be able to pay in state tuition for a 'top 10' medical education.

anyways- you don't have an interview yet at those other schools so why withdraw now? it's not like you have to make this decision now. So for the sake of your ego-- stay in to see if you get those interviews. If you do get the interview, THEN you can decide whether you want to withdraw or not.

come on man, we all know you're going to choose michigan!!!

I trust you started this thread just to confirm what you already know. U of M is in a great city...places residents in numerous selective fields/positions....has great facilities....is closest to home.... Oh and don't forget that in-state tuition. So yeah, I think you should shoot for NYU.:p

Hey guys,

Lavidee your one diehard michigan fan! I think Michigan is an awesome school, the one problem I have is that I've spetn most of my life in Michigan and I want to try something different. I've been in California for four years, and I am seriously thinking east coast, contingent on the fact I get into a quality med school in the East (which is why I haven't thrown out NYU, Sinai, Emory, or Einstein yet, even though I suspect the education at Michigan is better). As far as residencies, I trust any of these schools can place you wherever you want if you try hard enough during med school. I know Michigan places people regularly on both coasts from their matchlist last year. Thanks for your help all of you, and keep it coming

Standoc

If I were you I would have withdrawn those other invitations. Michigan is by far a better school, and as long as you do okay during medical school you will have no problems matching wherever you want (geographically speaking).

That said, there might be two factors that would lead you to keep some of the other interviews. 1) "time to see something different" -- New York City, if that is your thing, might be a nice place to spend four years for medical school. If this sentiment is strong enough, then coupled with the reality that you would get a fine education at NYU, MSM, or Einstein -- perhaps you might consider going there over Michigan. 2) Michigan is not known for coddling its medical students, from what I have been told. You can get a good medical education without killing yourself, and if you wanted to have an 'easier' time of it then you might consider going to MSM. (At NYU you would get a similar education.)

I've only heard negatives about Emory. Unless you have some strong desire to be in Atlanta, I can't really see a reason for keeping it in the running.

-AT.

hey atsai3,

Negatives about Emory? I haven't heard many...what do you mean?

Standoc

There is one thing to consider about UofM. I have heard from students that go there, and from people that do their residencies with UofM grads that they are not very experienced when it comes to dealing with patients. UofM is ranked mostly because of its research. If you are really into research, it would be a great scool to go to. However, if you want hands-on stuff, as well as a more relaxed atmosphere, I would choose another school. As well as their undergrad, the competitive atmosphere continues to their medical school. Personally, I loved NYU and Mt. Sinai, definetely attend those. Hopes this brings another perspective to your decision.:)

HI I don't know to much about Michigan but I do know about my home town of New York. I would advise you to stongly consider what area of medicine you want to get into. The New York schools are all in highly urban areas that see a lot of low income patients. If that kind of exposure early on appeals to you, you should consider the NY schools.
From your list I only applied to Einstein which I found challenging. As I waited to be interviewed there I was approached by an elderly patient to translate for her which I did for the next 45 min. There were patients every where with all kinds of problems which were in need.

So consider these schools if you are considering urban health.

U of M has a good prog FOR research, I spend time with med stuents and have family members who did/doing residency there, and the med students DON'T get much clinical experience.
They definitely dont baby their students and it is a very competitive atmosphere. If ur into research I'd say take it, especially with the new Life Sciences Building coming up, plus all the other top health programs such as dentistry and pharmacy, its makes great collaboration.
Ann Arbor is a nice place, very diverse and good stuff to do, then again its no NYC. Gotta give it up to the NY, from bourough to bourough, soooooo much to do, u name it :)
Then again instate tuition is a great thing, and rent in NYC is :eek:
But Ann Arbor isnt that much cheaper, well if u moved out like 10mins drive from med schl, like in Ypsi borderline area(Washtenaw or Packard/Carpenter or Hewitt), my bestfriend has a good 1 bdroom apt for like $570issh

I'd say wait 4 the other interviews (i didnt apply to those schls :laugh: )
That way u dont regret down the road and wonder what if...

BTW, enuff niceness to those wolverines, I still bleed green and white though, GO STATE :p

Wow this brings back memories from earlier..hehe...in any case if any of you are still interested, i decided to withdraw from einstein after recieving an interview offer, got turned down by NYU, waiting on Mt. Sinai (probably rejected) and interview at Emory 2/26. More recently i got an interview at Stanford, and I think I'll either stay at my undergrad if i get in or return home to michigan. Thanks for all the replies

Standoc