NYU news for august mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Benjo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody heard from NYU about an interview who took the August MCAT? If so, when were you complete (i.e. when was the app in)?

Members don't see this ad.

Had an interview there last week.
Mailed out my app on 9/18. Was complete on 10/27 (August MCAT).

interviewed there this week. complete after scores received, 10/14-10/31. Not sure of the exact date.

Apperently NYU applies a MCAT GPA cutoff for non-URMs. Just found this out when I was there. So if you have high GPA and low MCAT or vice versa, you may have received the kiss of death with a low score in either of the two.

Members don't see this ad :)
do you know the cutoffs by any chance?

urm= under represented minority

Well, according to USNews, last year's entering class had a mean GPA of 3.7 and a mean MCAT of 33. So if you're at least above those numbers you should apparently be ok for the screening. I have no clue what the official numbers are though.

Tf

Hmm. I'd heard NYU looks favorably on older applicants. I'm a post bac, and my undergrad GPA was 3.2, but my post-bac GPA is almost a 4.0. It all averages out to around a 3.4.

Do you guys have any idea if they would take that into consideration before possibly tossing me due to the cutoff?

And another question: I remember reading in the info they sent, that if you scored lower than a 10 on your MCAT science sections, you should "think about strengthening your application before applying."

I got a 33 on the MCAT, but the scores were 13V 11BS 9PS. They wouldn't toss me just for that nine, would they? :eek:

Damn, I'd really like an interview invite from them!

Originally posted by KarateGirl
I'd heard NYU looks favorably on older applicants.

Is this true? I heard that the average age of new matriculants at NYU is quite young: 21-22. Not to offend, but I'm really looking forward to sharing a class with older (and wiser, ahem) students (not that I've even heard about an interview myself; I'm still in review). Can anyone confirm?

Originally posted by essbe
Is this true? I heard that the average age of new matriculants at NYU is quite young: 21-22. Not to offend, but I'm really looking forward to sharing a class with older (and wiser, ahem) students (not that I've even heard about an interview myself; I'm still in review). Can anyone confirm?

I'm going to try my best to avoid people like you that are older (and, ahem, seem to think they are wiser) than me. And yes, your comments are offensive, so if you didn't want to offend, you shouldn't have said it. Call me sensitive or whatever you want, your comments are as discrimanatory as any politically incorrect statment--be it a chauvanitstic statment, a racist statment, or an age discriminatory statment. You are a bigot.

Wow. For the record, and I've said this before, I'm only 22 years old myself.

I'm just looking forward to learning from people who have lived longer than I have. That's all I meant to imply -- no reading between the lines. If that still offends you, then... well, to each his own.

I'm an MS1 at NYU and I'd say the average age in my class is about 23-24, roughly. Lots of people came straight from undergrad but probably an almost equal number took a year or two off, and there's quite a few people in their mid-to-late 20's or 30's. NYU has a reputation of having a "young" class and maybe it is by comparison to other schools, but there's still a substantial number of older students here. Anyway, if there's any other questions I can answer about NYU let me know. It's a great school.

I was complete at NYU on 11/21 and I received an interview letter on 12/9. I mailed my stuff in mid-october, so maybe the complete date they posted was a little later than it actually was.

Originally posted by essbe
Wow. For the record, and I've said this before, I'm only 22 years old myself.

I'm just looking forward to learning from people who have lived longer than I have. That's all I meant to imply -- no reading between the lines. If that still offends you, then... well, to each his own.

haha redpingping: remove foot from mouth.

:laugh:

Originally posted by a_student
is it possible for me to get a merit scholarship to nyu with a 38 and 3.9?

I'm just curious not trying to boast my scores cause I know theres a **** load of people on sdn with scores higher than mine.

Being a top 30 school, I wager that NYU gets many applicants with high numbers. Merit scholarships are awarded for excellence on many levels, not just strictly GPA/MCAT scores, even though they definitely can help. Case in point: I don't believe spumoni620 had an incredibly high MCAT score, but she recently got a full merit scholarship to UMich (what a beast! :) ).

On that note, have you heard back from NYU admissions already?? And if so, when did you interview?

TF