NYU or AECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

souljah1

Attending
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would love to hear my fellow applicants thoughts on this one. I visited both schools and liked different things about each. If you had to choose one of them , which one suits your fancy?

I liked the students more at NYU (seemed more inclined to be social) and felt the clinical experience would be better. However, I think the curriculum at AECOM is pretty cool. Blocks that include preventive medicine and nutrition are pretty appealing to me. Both are top 50 for research, but AECOM is also top 50 for primary care. I'm not much of a rankings sort of person, but was surprised that NYU wasn't ranked for primary care. Location seems to be a big difference. I live in nyc right now and it is nice to get away in no time at all to relax. living in the bronx is a bit different. aside from movies and italian restaurants, you are chillin in your room or riding an express bus to manhattan that stops running around midnight. ugh. anyway, i'd love to hear your perspectives.

The hotter the battle the sweeter the victory.

Members don't see this ad.

Come on...no one has anything to say about this?

as a patient, i'd prefer my doctor to have NYU diploma. even if you're going to practice in california, they know what's NYU. and i live in NYU, but never heard of aecom. of course, i'm no researcher.
the only reason, i'd choose this school in bronx would be if it's much cheaper, like suny stony brook. but in the long run nyu is probably better. also, many people enjoy living in downtown ny (Nyu).

Members don't see this ad :)
PJ,

I am not becoming a doctor so I can display my diploma to my patients. I seriously hope you are not either. I live in NYC right now. Both AECOM and NYU are considered to be very good schools. I guess I am looking for some other opinions from people who have actually visited one of these schools sometime during the application process. I agree that NYU may be a more familiar school to most laypeople, but those kind of things don't factor in my decision to attend a school.

I see that you will be applying in a few years. I wish you a lot of luck in the years to come.

i was accepted to both, and i am presently holding spaces at both. i think nyu might be more fun if you're single. nyu is internationally known, and it has a great "bar name." it's also a bit more prestigious in my opinion, however, AECOM has its advantages: cheaper cost of living, more relaxed atmosphere, better curriculum. you can't really lose with this one. just pick where you'd be happy.

Hi souljah,

I've been accepted to both schools, and unless I hear good news from any others (a prospect that I'm not counting on), I'll have to make the same choice, myself!

You already sound like you're leaning toward NYU. I think that to really evaluate which school would be best for you, it's very important to focus on your own inclinations; my opinions will obviously differ from yours for various reasons.

I actually preferred Einstein to NYU. I appreciated the attention that faculty offers students, I found the students friendly, the curriculum strong (I like the idea of doing a research project by graduation), and the facilities and the campus impressive. It is far out in the Bronx, and one fourth-year (not during the interview session, but actually on the bus back to Manhattan, in a casual conversation) said that he felt the location was the school's weakest point..he said there's a (bad) Chinese take out place, a pizza place...and that's it. For me, personally, I don't mind this at all, because I'm planning to settle down a little while after starting med school, so I probably won't even be living on campus. But if being "where it's at" is very important to you, then NYU is without a doubt preferable to Einstein; it has a really prime location.

I found NYU a bit depressing. . .I wasn't particularly impressed by their facilities. A lot of the first-year students seemed overwhelmed and unhappy both times that I visited, and I question the merit of the anatomy lab system of six students to a cadaver...two dissect while the others do their own thing elsewhere, and then they rotate around and see where the others left off. I know that this might be ideal for some, but I don't think I'd learn as effectively with such a system.

I think that its connection with Bellevue is NYU's one true strength, and is the one aspect that makes me wonder if, by choosing Einstein over NYU, I would essentially be shooting myself in the foot. Then again, Einstein is also fairly strong clinically. . . another student there (also a fourth-year) said that residency directors have told him that Einstein and Columbia are comparable in terms of clinical exposure, and that both exceed Cornell in this area. NYU has Bellevue, Tisch, etc., and Einstein has an array of hospitals including Jacobi, which caters to a lot of immigrants and indigent patients; you have the opportunity at both Bellevue and Jacobi to see the late stages of diseases that other students may never see in hospitals that treat wealthier populations.

It's a very tough choice!!!! I would say visit again (and then again, if necessary!), talk to current students at each, and weigh very heavily your own tendencies and preferences, and what will be most important to your future goals.

Best of luck...maybe we'll be classmates at some point! :)

I'm sending you an e-mail b/c my PM is too long for posting.

Just kidding, you don't have an e-mail listed!

I'm hoping to get this choice as well. Overall, I liked both schools but I think I would choose NYU (not considering financial aid packages.)

Bellevue, VA and Tisch hospital offer tremendous clinical exposure as do Jacobi, montefiore. I think NYU just edges it out but I'm also partial to Bellevue and Tisch since I've worked in both. In terms of location, NYU clearly wins out. Housing, though, goes to Einstein. NYU's housing is pretty bad. I hear it doesn't really get much better in the 2,3 or 4th year.
To address research, the honors program at NYU gives you this opportunity. From what I hear, the research requirement at Einstein is very small so I think NYUs honors program would be a little more effective.
Is NYU pass/fail in its first year. I find that to be very important and should be something to consider.

Its a great dilemma to have. Good luck with your decision and keep us posted.

keep in mind that while nyu claims to be pass/fail to get rid of "excessive competition," the students are still ranked into tiered fifths all four years and their rank status goes all their transcripts and everything, so that may foster a significant amount of competition.

-they dont really advertise this fact so watch out.

Kermit,

you can email me a rootikal2aol.com. I have seen in other postings that you are thinking about aecom? I'd love to hear your perspective on things. hear from you soon.

souljah

ahh and to the rest of you, thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.

Hey souljah-

i tried that address you posted, but i'm also an aol user and it said that username did not exist. check it and let me know!

-DK

Kermit,

Rootikal@, no 2 in there. that was a typo. that should work. If that doesn't work, I'll give you my other address.

i know i figured it out :) once i realized the "2" didn't work, i deleted it and the message went through. i e-mailed you a while ago, so happy reading and let me know if you have any other pros and cons about the school!

PJ I sent you a PM, so please check it and reply to me with a PM if you want

•••quote:•••Originally posted by choker:
•keep in mind that while nyu claims to be pass/fail to get rid of "excessive competition," the students are still ranked into tiered fifths all four years and their rank status goes all their transcripts and everything, so that may foster a significant amount of competition.

-they dont really advertise this fact so watch out.•••••I second that. A lot of pass/fail and honor/pass/fail schools still keep class ranks. And honestly, with the caliber of students AECOM and NYU accept, student competitiveness is given (nobody is going to screw other people over but everyone will be concentrated on studying and learnign stuff). Just ask yourself. Are u going to NYU or AECOM to slack off and just pass? If not, your classmates share that same opinion as you do. So decide on which school based on location and FINANCIAL AID. And stop worrying about everything else.