NYU or BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puzzle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a hard time decideing between BU and NYU and the deadline to submit deposit is nearing. Someone pls help me?
I really like boston as a place to live as well as study, it is of a comfortable size and rich in culture. However, NYU seems like a very established dental school. Does anyone know where i will receive better quality education? I think when it comes to choosing schools, it will boils down to academic strength and how well they prepare you for a job or specialization.
Any input will be appreciated. Thanks alot!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at BU and Tufts. My first question about BU was along the lines of: why would I pay all this money to go to a PRIVATE exorbitantly expensive school with less than stellar
clinical facillities? Tufts is a shrine to the profession. Heavy alumni giving. No comparison between the two. Have no idea about NYU but living in NYC isnt my cup of tea but from what I've read on this board it sounds preferable. ALSO: BU is difficult to access. Its not on the subway lines. It limits your housing choices in Boston. many Tufts students live out because the orange line is fairly fast and makes access easy. Plus I would think patient pool at TUFTS would be better to but who knows. My two cents.

Still think Private Dental school is for those who have a lot of money. Your best bet is to always go to your local state school if
you have a choice ( who the hell wants to be laboring under the weight of all that debt unless you have SIGNIFICANT parental contribution or access to bill gates bank account ). However, Tufts is sweet. Impressive place.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the information....i kinda expected this and just want to make sure. I know tufts is a better school then BU...however i haven't hear from them up to this point. I have been calling them and the answer is always..."i don't know when your application will be reviewed........" well well....this is probably due to my poor grades in freshman year....hopefully things will change for the better when i send in my grades this semester...fingers crossed...;) Do anyone know when tufts stop interviewing? is there any thing i can do now to improve my application?

Congrats to everyone who got into their first choice!

I interviewed at BU, NYU and Tufts. I personally would not spent 75K to be in a class of 220 or so people, it just doesn't make any sense. After all, you're paying so much $$ to be in a class size that big (even though they divide into 3 sections with 1:8 faculty ratio, and Knowles didn't answer my question about % full time/% part time faculty, so I don't really know the ratios.) which just doesn't make any sense. Tufts, on the other hand, has a stellar facility, awesome location (Boston Chinatown), and a better academic.

Besides, Tufts is about another $10,000 cheaper than NYU, except the housing near Tufts is more expensive than the guarantee dorms that you get at NYU which is estimated to be around $500.

BU is overpriced for it's education, so i would pick the schools as follows:

Tufts > BU > NYU

But then again, this is just my perspective...

NSXDent

thanks for the information....i kinda expected this and just want to make sure. I know tufts is a better school then BU...however i haven't hear from them up to this point. I have been calling them and the answer is always..."i don't know when your application will be reviewed........" well well....this is probably due to my poor grades in freshman year....hopefully things will change for the better when i send in my grades this semester...fingers crossed...;) Do anyone know when tufts stop interviewing? is there any thing i can do now to improve my application?

Congrats to everyone who got into their first choice!

NYU is a dentist producing school. they just roll them out. NYU makes more hotshot dentists than BU. NYU! (but i'm going to columbia)

To decide between NYU and BU, you should look at the graduate rates for those 2 schools in the ADEA book published about all dental schools. You want to go to a school that will do its best to let you go out with a degree. I don't remember the exact number, but when I compared BU and NYU when I picked schools to apply, I was scared for a bit. So I didn't apply to NYU, for fear of having a huge debt. If money is no problems to you, pick where you like most. I never visited any of those schools. (had BU regional interview).
Best of luck
Tink