NYU Pre-meds or post baccs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DannyWSP

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering starting the post bacc. program at NYU in January. I'm only 23 so not that far out of undergrad and would be taking classes along with the other pre-meds. Just looking for some input and inside info. on how the classes, profs, advising, etc. is at the school.

I know reputation doesn't mean a whole lot for post-bacc (all one would have to do was read any of the hundred posts about it) but I am trying to stay in NY and got in for the spring semester. I haven't heard anything stellar about Columbia so I am trying to work it out. Hope you all have a great thanksgiving.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

dont know anything about NYU's but Columbia's post-bacc isnt half bad. from what I've seen (I was a CU undergrad) their program seems to be very well organized and is pretty successful at placing folks in med school.
that being said, NYU chicks are hotter. :p

Is the NYU post-bacc only for those who haven't completed pre-reqs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Old thread, I know...

Originally posted by DarkChild
dont know anything about NYU's but Columbia's post-bacc isnt half bad. from what I've seen (I was a CU undergrad) their program seems to be very well organized and is pretty successful at placing folks in med school.
that being said, NYU chicks are hotter. :p

Thanks! ;)

I'm not sure how NYU's post-bacc program is structured, but the pre-med reqs as an undergrad were pretty good imo. I don't think it was a req, but Molec Cell was hard but excellent- you just had to ignore the fact that the the teacher was, um, tempermental. Oh yeah, and the calc teachers all suck, from what I saw.
If you do decide on their program, definitely check out the ratings for each non-req class/teacher before you sign up- I think that info was through the student council website or something. Helps you avoid some of the bad teachers. You can pm me if you have any more questions.

Househead, thanks for the insight. SO glad you resurrected that thread. I am still waiting to hear from Columbia, and will have to make a definite decision right after Christmas. I already enrolled in NYU just to be sure my spot is secure. It is nice to hear that someone liked the profs/classes. I don't have my schedule with me at the moment but I may pm you to see if you know anything about my calc prof. Thanks again and happy holidays.

DWSP:

PM away. Most of the calc teachers are actually grad students, so it's really variable- but I only heard of 1 that anyone actually thought was good. My calc II prof, an *actual* prof, was the worst teacher (30/80 averages, *not* the students' faults!). But at least he was really understanding...