NYU Question & Schools that Place More Emphasis on GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Artful Dodger

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two questions:

1) I have briefly looked at NYU's admission requirements, and I have a question about how this phrase is worded (in bold = confusion):

Bachelor's degree from an accredited U.S. or Canadian college or university, including all prerequisite courses, DAT, and GPA of 3.1 or higher or a GPA of 3.5 at an accredited college or university from the U.S. or Canada, with 90 credits including all prerequisite courses.

So if you have a 3.5+, you don't need to take the DAT? What is the deal here?

2) What schools place more emphasis on GPA (sorta like NYU - if my assumption is true)?

FYI, im a noob to this pre-dental ordeal. lol go easy on me!

GO ahead and add any information I'm not understanding, too. I'd like to see if there's more to know about the admissions process.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Every applicant to US dental schools needs to take the DAT. No exceptions.

2. According to the quote you provided, it would seem that NYU requires a GPA of 3.1 for applicants with a bachelors degree, and 90+ credits hours with a GPA of 3.5 for applicants without a bachelors degree.

^Thanks a lot! That pretty much clears it up. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Every applicant to US dental schools needs to take the DAT. No exceptions.

2. According to the quote you provided, it would seem that NYU requires a GPA of 3.1 for applicants with a bachelors degree, and 90+ credits hours with a GPA of 3.5 for applicants without a bachelors degree.

But we still apply prior to receiving a bachelor's degree right? And we mention that graduation is planned in ___ date?

it is theoretically possible at most schools to get accepted during your 3rd year of undergrad. Due to the intense competition, it is virtually impossible to get accepted until your 4th year at least (meaning you will have your bachelor's degree completed when you start dental school).

I know the admissions director and the dean of admissions and they told me that NYU concentrates a lot on DAT and in particular QR because they believe it's a good predictor of board scores....I don't know if they still have this frame of mind because this was last year when I spoke to them.....

I know the admissions director and the dean of admissions and they told me that NYU concentrates a lot on DAT and in particular QR because they believe it's a good predictor of board scores....I don't know if they still have this frame of mind because this was last year when I spoke to them.....

I dunno, I just received an invite and have a 15 in QR?!

The thing is, NYU DOES accept people with less than a 3.1 GPA...they just write that on their website as an average. :)

Not to be presumptuous but don't you mean the RC score?

did you mean RC? there has been evidence that RC scores correlate with board and dental school success..

jb!:)

ps- oops..didn't read the previous post

I'm hoping for any interview at NYU just to have a reason to visit New York. I'm from CA btw. For those who have been invited to interviews, was it by email/aadsas/letter?

last year or 2 years ago, they accepted people without interviews. Who can confirm this?