NYU reputation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meggs

Dpr@v@2
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm not american, so I know nothing about this. I want to ask about NYU reputation. As I read trough the threads I have gotten the idea that since is a rather large class, it doesn't seems to have a nice reputation when it comes to graduates of this school.

Is it hard to get accepted into specialty programs at other schools if you're a graduate of NYU? How true is this?

Thanks.
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Well I really don't know how hard it is for an NYU grad but I know of a few upper classman going to speciality school, 4 to be exact.

Well you might say 4 is nothing compared to how large the class is. But don't forget I've only been going here about 4.5 weeks and 95% of my contact is with freshman.

Try to PM pi_guy bec he knows way more about the school than I

All in all, I love this school so far and don't know why people complain. The profs are really nice, very open, and willing to help at a moments notice.

I think most people are just pissed bec they didn't get into their #1 and want to complain about something. But look for good things to come out of here in the future bec this dean has some deep pockets and is changing a lot!!!

Have you tried a search on NYU? I did it and came up with tons of info. It took me an hour to read it all. In general, I think getting into a specialty program has more to do with your grades and board scores.

Has anybody done an analysis on the total cost of attending NYU? Not what the school provides, but a more accurate one done by research.

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
friend of mine just started there this year. she said the cost of housing was about 22000 (living on campus).

$22k per year!? Holy moly!

In that case, your cost of attending will be roughly $80,000 per year. times four years, your talking about $320,000. Plus, add interest on the private loans while your in school. Geez!

Does anybody know if you can get the whole thing financed? Thats a lot of doe!

No way the cost of living is 22k! Well maybe, it is NYC.

Yup! It's very expensive to attend NYU. It will cost $73k per year.

do they give out any kind of scholarship?

For New Yorkers who attend NYU but lives at home (and commutes to school)... The cost would be around $250,000... That's how much my sister owed after she graduated in 2000, and she financed it entirely through loans.

I went to Buffalo instead because I wanted a change in scenary... But I guess the $100,000 I saved is a nice fringe benefit.. :D

I have no idea where your friend is living if she's paying $22,000 for housing. It's certaintly not NYU dental housing. I lived at 26th street (primarily for dental students) and it wasn't $22,000/year. I believe it was $6800 for the fall semester and the spring semester was a little more only b/c we went til June 21st.

It costs around $30,000/semester for tuition. Tack on housing and yea, it gets a little bit expensive..lol.

Brocnizer2007, if you like first year, you'll really enjoy 2nd year at NYU. The professors are way better. I was a little concerned about the curriculum my first year, but now I'm pretty confident I made the right choice in coming here. On a side note, the dentist I shadowed this summer told my dad today that he's waiting for me to graduate so he can hire me. He kept bringing up the point that he'd love to hire somebody from NYU. Bottom line....people may gripe about the school, but when it comes down to it, everybody knows about the NYU name....it's all about networking.

Pi__Guy1. The advisor at my school keeps remiding me to learn more about NYU before I enter. He said there are not enough seats for D2 --> D3. It means "some" people will be forced to leave and be their own. It also means they might owe a lot of money but not possible to get their DDS degrees. Is it true?

The word about NYU from my dean: not that great of a school.

Caveat: My dean is an NYU graduate, was dental student body president for 3 years, and was student body president of the ENTIRE NYU campus for several years.

His advice: stay away.

Pi_guy

How far is from your place on 26th to school ? is it a dorm or apartment ?

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a back door in the 26th street dorm which exits onto 25th and there's a back door on 25th in the school so it's just a matter of crossing a street, ie <1 min walking.

Grettlin: I'm not sure what your advisor is talking about re: to being forced to leave. If you're in the program, they can't kick you out just because there's no room. The way NYU compensates for is large class is:
D1: they divide the class up in half for lab
D2: with the influx of AP students, they divide the class into 3rds.
D3: We all get divided up and work in the clinics at different hours. Clinics open until 8:30pm so we all have plenty of shifts.I just talked to a D3 studentm and he told me that he has ~15 patients...and he'll get assigned more later.

With the $$ issue, yes it's expensive to go here. Tuition at private schools usually are. What sets NYU apart from other private schools is that we live in NYC. Standard of living is higher. Beers are $5, Captain Cokes are $9 at clubs.

LarryT: Pasha is right. 26th street is just across the street from the dental school. There is a backdoor to 26th street dorms, but when I was there last year, residents were allowed to use that door. So we had to exit the front door (26th street) and go around 1 block to 25th street (backdoor to the dental school).

Gavin: Interesting words from a Dean. He shows a lot of professionalism in choosing his words....what a great leader...j/k

I still don't see why people say STAY AWAY!!!

They have so much to offer here its unreal. Sometimes I think people should keep comments to themselves until they experience NYU first hand and not go by word of mouth.

Remember that game we all played in grade school when you whisper something into the first persons ear and by the time it gets to the end its something different...well I think thats whats going on here.

Great school and come here!!!

Agreed... Every school has its good and bad. NYU will give the student its share of frustrations, but there are things NYU can offer a dental student that you won't see at many other schools.

One of the things that made me wish I had gone to NYU is its patient pool. Go to dental school in a podunk little town (like I did, heh) and one might find third and fourth years to be stressful for lack of the right kind of patients.

Like every other dental school NYU has its share of problems, but I have seen firsthand the quality of some of their graduates who are first-rate clinicians. In the end I think that's the most important thing.

Originally posted by ItsGavinC
The word about NYU from my dean: not that great of a school.

Caveat: My dean is an NYU graduate, was dental student body president for 3 years, and was student body president of the ENTIRE NYU campus for several years.

His advice: stay away.

Did he say why?

ShawnOne: Thanks, I guess I'll do that.

But let's get real. Just the fact that there is a thread questioning NYU's reputation is not a good sign. NYU has the lowest entrance stats and the highest acceptance rate of any dental school. (I don't count Howard and Meharry since they are affirmative action schools)

I don't know. I find it hard to believe that NYU is secretly wonderfull while it is being unfairly plagued by a bad reputation. There is a reason why so many people speak negatively of it. And I doubt it's because all of its critics lacked exposure to the school.

I think the truth is somewhere in between. It's probably not as bad as people say it is. At the same time, it's probably not as nice as some of the people on here are making it out to be.

Originally posted by mcataz
But let's get real. Just the fact that there is a thread questioning NYU's reputation is not a good sign. NYU has the lowest entrance stats and the highest acceptance rate of any dental school. (I don't count Howard and Meharry since they are affirmative action schools)

I don't know. I find it hard to believe that NYU is secretly wonderfull while it is being unfairly plagued by a bad reputation. There is a reason why so many people speak negatively of it. And I doubt it's because all of its critics lacked exposure to the school.

I think the truth is somewhere in between. It's probably not as bad as people say it is. At the same time, it's probably not as nice as some of the people on here are making it out to be.

Well said.

Originally posted by mcataz
NYU has the lowest entrance stats and the highest acceptance rate of any dental school.

where do you find the current stat for NYU ? I don't think NYU has the lowest entrance stats.

Lowest GPA for 2001-2002 cycle your right (besides the two you mentioned). But there are schools that are a close second like BU that is only .02 away. Lowest DAT for AA and PAT in 2001-2002, your wrong.

I'll give my honest opinion while I'm here and I've yet to encounter a serious issue.

580 clinical chairs and over 270,000 patient visits...I can't wait to jump in:clap:

http://lifesci.rutgers.edu/~hpo/dstats.htm

Well said before. Schools have their problems, schools have their ups.

When it all comes down to it, being the best clician is what counts. When you count the fact that the name sounds good to the public, you just made your school work that much more for you.

BTW....I get all tingly when people refer that HPO link from Rutgers. :clap: It's my alma mater!

Originally posted by Brocnizer2007

Remember that game we all played in grade school when you whisper something into the first persons ear and by the time it gets to the end its something different...well I think thats whats going on here.

Not at all what is happening in my case.

NYU has far worse problems than some of us might imagine.

My uncle, Mark Christensen, is a member of the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA). He is a member of the American Association of Dental Examiners, and oversees the WREB. He was nominated to the CODA position by his peers. When we sat down to address the schools I was planning on applying to, he specifically warned me to "stay away from NYU" because they have "more accreditation issues" than any other dental school. Not more than some schools, but more than ALL other schools.

There is no mincing of words there, and there isn't any communication being crossed. His sentiments echo my Dean's sentiments as well.

Both of these gentlemen are VERY well respected and have had signifigant workings with NYU.

Does that mean that NYU graduates won't get a good education? No, it doesn't mean that at all. Does it mean that NYU graduates have a better chance of getting a poor education? Yes, I'd say it does.

YOUR mileage may vary.

Originally posted by ItsGavinC
NYU has far worse problems than some of us might imagine.

My uncle, Mark Christensen, is a member of the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA). He is a member of the American Association of Dental Examiners, and oversees the WREB. He was nominated to the CODA position by his peers. When we sat down to address the schools I was planning on applying to, he specifically warned me to "stay away from NYU" because they have "more accreditation issues" than any other dental school. Not more than some schools, but more than ALL other schools.

That's some serious bussiness I think.

A question: After a student enrolls in school, the graduation from an accredited schools is guaranteed for the next 4 years, right?
I mean, it won't matter if the school has problems AFTER the student enrollment, the student still gets an acredited school degree. Right?

Thanks everyone.

For me, its enough to know that NYU sees over 250,000 patinets a year. This by itself speaks volumes. This simply emplies that the students are competent in what the do (as a result of good instruction, maybe???) and that patients are happy, otherwise they wouldn't keep going back (Cloumbia Dental school is only a train ride away). not to mention that NYU is the largest dental facility in the whole country.

Now, if NYU accepts bunch of less competitive students, and still caters to 250,000+ patients, i think the school then deserves lots of credit.

NYU is NOT for everyone. just the same way that Harvard, UConn, UCLA, NOVA, and all the other schools are not for everyone. NYU reflects NYC, its a large school in the heard of a large city. those who cant deal with large crowds will have problems attending lectures with 250 other students and live in a place like NYC. we all know that small towns barely ever have the problems of large cities.

during my visit to NYU, one of the dental students said due to the number of patients, students need to complete more proceedures in order to graduate. and most students by the end of thir 3rd year are almost DONE with their procedures. This is very important to me, for i want to become a competent clinician.

do i need to elaborate more???

no one forces you to go to a certain school, so, choose your schools wisely.

Comet

Originally posted by larryt
where do you find the current stat for NYU ? I don't think NYU has the lowest entrance stats.

Very true, good post. I can't disagree with your statement. Ultimately, it's about graduating as a dentist. But NYU could be more a difficult process than other schools with the large class.

Id have to disagree. Just becuase a school has a large number of pateints does not signifiy its quality. Many of the patients seen at dental schools are lower income, and thereby can go to the dental school for reduced rate dentistry or get no work done. Mnay of them do not care about quality (or do not know how to gauge it) as much as getting their pain fixed, or just fixing their teeth so they can keep them. I have talked to a lot of people that work right next to Upenn, but go across town to Temple for their dental care, becuase they think it is cheaper (ie going to NYU instead of Columbia)( I dont think Temple is any cheaper, but Im not sure).

Hmm... Generally I think the fees at dental schools are pretty uniform-- They all pretty much charge about 1/2 to 1/3 the average private dentist's fee in the area.

If a dental school charges a significantly higher fee than the other school across town, it would be suicide-- They'd lose their patient pool faster than it takes for your alginate impression to set. :p

And when that happens, a school's accreditation can be in real jeopardy because the students won't be getting the clinical experience they are supposed to get.

As far as the quality of work at NYU goes, it would ultimately depend on the prowess of the individual student, and like every other dental school, there are probably students who are a bit deficient in their manual skills as well as those who are "artistes" (like my sister from NYUCD Class of '00, heh heh).

lets not forget that the whole point of seeing patients during dental school is to practice, hence the PBL curriculum. in some schools student- patinent interaction starts earlier than the others, thus giving the students more chance to practice. This also has to do with the phillosophy of the school; some are aiming to train excellent practicioners while some train their students to do more of acedemia. I belive NYU is among the first crowd. CHOOSE YOUR SCHOOL WISELY!!

Comet