bdub

10+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2007
Status
Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone had info regard res. vs off campus housing. Which is better/cheaper etc etc. Thanks.

speedkdy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Status
Pre-Dental
I was wondering the same thing. I decided to go with res for first year and then move out after first year. probably to waterside plaza.

Chuda2008

10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
First off, I am not going to NYU, but I do currently live in the NYC area. Personally, if I were moving to NYC for the first time, I would try to live on-campus for the first semester at least. This way you will figure out the city, get to know your schedule, and meet people before decided where the perfect place for you to live is. Moving in NYC is very expensive with most places charging a brokers fee of 1 1/2 months rent just to help you find a place to live. Also how close to campus do you want to live? The farther away the cheaper, but is a 50 minute commute be too much for you? There are so many different options here that if possible, I would either live on-campus or sublease an apartment until you have the city figured out and can find a place that will work for you in the long run. Hope this helps. :)

gijohn529

USC Dental 2012
10+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Good advice... I'm going to try to get a sublet until I can figure out the city. I really don't want to commute too far for my first 2 years of school.