NYU School Of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyBug9933

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to the boards, so please forgive me if this post seems to be silly!

I have read around, and I see a lot of people post their stats and wonder what the chances are of them getting into medical school. I was wondering, since many of you on this board are educated enough to know, could answer this.

I will be attending the University of Delaware this fall. I was wondering if I maintained a minimum 3.7 GPA throughout school, and got above a 30 on the MCATS, if NYU School of Medicine would be a possibility for me to attend?

Anyone who goes to or went to NYU med, or knows much about their acceptences, please respond!

Also, I know absolutley NO medical school is "easy" to get into, but, what is the least difficult medical school to get into in Manhattan?

thanks a lot, take care.

Members don't see this ad.

"In an effort to help candidates file realistic applications and save the costs associated with applying to medical school we provide the following academic profile of recent entering classes:
Median Grade Point Average: 3.6
Median MCAT Scores: Verbal Reasoning: 10; Physical Sciences: 11; Biological Sciences: 11; Writing Sample: 0
Applicants with GPAs below 3.4 and MCAT scores below 10 in the science sections are urged to strengthen their academic credentials before applying to NYU."

This is directly from NYU's website. I think you've got the right idea. But of course, having the numbers alone won't get you in, so start all your volunteering, research, extracurriculars, mcat prep, etc. early and keep it up. And then all we can do is pray! Good luck and welcome.:)

I will be going to NYU this fall, as will my fiance and one of my friends, so I think I'm in a pretty good position to answer your questions. NYU is a fairly competitive school to get into, more so than you might guess based on its US News ranking, mostly because it's in Manhattan and so many people want to go to med school in NYC. According to NYU's website, their avg. GPA and MCAT for entering students were a 3.6 and a 32. So, getting in with a 3.7 and a 30 would be possible but not a sure thing. It's really hard to predict as a freshman what your GPA or MCAT are going to be when you apply to med school after your junior year. Just do the best you can do and when the time comes apply and see what happens. That's all you can do. To answer your other question, SUNY-Downstate and Albert Einstein are probably the easiest to get into (not to say easy, because they're not!) among med schools in New York City. Neither is in Manhattan-- Einstein's in the Bronx and SUNY is in Brooklyn, I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got shot down by the NYC schools. Still waitlisted at Columbia and NYU - but not feeling very likely.
3.87, 30

Got the boot from Einstein, Sinai and NYMC. I didn't apply to Cornell or the SUNY's.

Study hard for the MCAT and get a 34 or higher. It is not that hard to do.

NYU is a better than average medical program (far from elite though) but very hard to get into as NYC is the best place to live in the US.

Still Northwester or University of Chicago would be a better choice if you want a great school in a great city that is similar to NY (and superior in some aspects).

Then of course UCSF is the best of all worlds as far as living in a fine city and a fine instution.