NYU Students,are you Happy????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonigee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys..i am seriously considering NYU over BU mainly b/c of the diverse patient pool and clinical prep that I will get there...how are you NYU students liking it there..i know its a large class size and expensive, but other than that, do you enjoy yourself there????
thanxxxxx
~sonigee

Members don't see this ad.

hi sonigee
I too have posted a question to nyu students.But none has com forward to ans at all!!I am really disappointed .R they terrified to tell the truth??

Members don't see this ad :)
well!!!
no luck yet???? :rolleyes: pkm? sonigee??

Howdy,
There have been a lot of threads regarding NYUCD..if you search them you will find out how students from NYU feel about the school. But anyways...I am a graduating senior this year from NYUCD. THis year we have gone trhough some drastic changes in our program..such as integration of the 3rd year with the fourth year. So, this put some strain on the seniors. I have been annoyed by the administrators..but I know they mean well and are doing their best. However, all and all...I have loved my experience here at NYUCD. I have tremendous confidence in my clinical skills..all due in part to our large population pool and dedicated faculty...I really mean it. NYU was and have always been the right choice for me. Good luck in your endeavors everyone.

hello,
I'm not a NYU student, althought I might be going there this fall, but my fiance is a first year student there. That being the case, I get to hear all her complaints. The main problem right now is with their new curriculum. They don't seem to be very well organized, which can be expected with such a large class size. Overall she seems to be happy with the school although some of her classmates dont particularly like the school. I think alot has to do with your attitude. Hope this helps and maybe I'll see you there this fall!

thank you pn229 & Diente! I am confident that NY is the school for me...the only thing is that you read these 'know it all' generalizations of certain schools and it kinda puts a damper on your hopefullness for the school...i have heard many neg things, but i agree with you guys in the fact that it totally depends on your attitude..so, good luck pn229 and hope to you see you next year Diente:)

I visited NYU back in March, and talked to a first year student there who is a friend of my sister. Anyhow, this is her account of NYU. I am just retelling what I heard, maybe some other NYU students can confirm it.

I was told last year, NYU enrolled 280 students instead of the 220 students as the administration claimed. As a result, there was a problem with accomodating the extra students.
Another issue was the slight change in curriculum. At first I thought NYU changed to PBL, but they did not. They introduced a few classes about patient care, preventive dental medicine, etc and many students complained about the extra work. I stopped by one of the lecture and only about 50 first year students were there, when there are about 280 first year students enrolled in the program. (Maybe someone can confirm this number of first year students because I just think the number of 280 first year is just outragous.)
Anyhow, also, many students signed petitions to complain with the administration regarding the fact that some professors changed the grading procedures after the exams have been taken. An example was how the professor told the class that the passing grade was 70%, but after the exam, the passing grade was 75% or 80% or something along that line. This resulted in more complains from students, etc.
Also, I was told some students outright complain in lectures infront of professors, calling them names and such, ( I really hope this is not true) because of the changes in syllabus, etc.
Anyhow, overall, this friend of my sister is doing ok at NYU. She said that anyone that got accepted should be willing to work hard, and if they work hard, they will be ok. She seems to be doing ok, not at the top of the class, but that is not what she is aiming for. Housing is another issue, but I won't get into it here. Anyhow, that is what I have heard, I went all the way from CA to NYU only to be dissapointed, because initially, I wanted to pack my suitcases to leave CA and head to NYU because it seems so intriguing to live in NYC, but then again, to be realistic, I should pick a school not based on the city but based on the school....
So that's it, I hope this helps, and again, I cannot absolutely guarantee what I just typed is true, but that is what i heard,
good luck to you guys and gals with your decisions,

As far as only 50 students being in lecture, from what I understand when I visited NYU, they break the class up into groups of 50, so only 50 should be in a lecture hall at a time?

Westside
regarding class size...NYUCD usually accept around 220-250 students. Some drop out from personal reason, some cant handle it....tough luck. ou come here, you got to work hard. Even then, the classes are still hard. As far as rude students...students are rude everywhere, but there certain professional demeaors we are held up to. From my years at NYUCD, professors do not put up with that *hit. They will come down on you here. NYUCD is integrating PBL, but not using it fully. With changes in curriculum, there are bound to be problems. But overall....NYUCD is great for me.

Regarding the 50 students in the lecture:

When I was eating lunch with 2nd/3rd year students at my interview, she explained that most students enroll in this note-taking service where a couple students go to class, take the notes (which are word for word), and provide it to the students for like $100/year. A lot of schools already have a service like this...I know Rush Medical School has this. I heard NYU splits up their class in half for classes. It's all how you learn. If you feel like you need to go to lecture then go....if you feel like you're better off using that time to study in the library, then do that.

Sonigee and anyone else wondering about their choice of dental schools,
Like most everything else in life, I'm sure dental school is mainly what a person chooses to make of it. Sure, a lot of generals and admirals graduate from the military acadamies, but most of those graduates never make flag rank while a reasonable number of troops out of ROTC and the enlisted ranks do.
By the way, the new U of Wash Dental School Dean (see thread on this forum) got her DDS from NYUCD. Schools don't pick just any old joe blow GP for those rainmaker positions.

I'm in the sammmme exact situation.....BU=familiarity but NYU=new place NYC exciting...ah what to do?

wow! this thread is a time capsule!

I love my patients. Cheesy? Maybe. But we have so many and they all need so much that I've gotten some pretty good experiences.

Also, it was tough love at first but I'm happy that NYU schedules patients for 2 hour blocks. Many schools schedule for 3 or 4 (!!!!!) hour blocks and, as one of my faculty says, "if you have 3 hours to do a crown prep you're going to take 3 hours!". Time management has been stressed since day one which will make me a more productive dentist right out of the gate.

10 years later;
the same questions

Hopefully the OP will come back and say what he thought about his choice XD