NYU Summer Research Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bootylicious

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDNers:

I am currently on the waitlist for the summer research program at NYU, but I would like to send a formal letter to the admissions committee to update. However, the letter I received says that there's no need to turn in additional information. Since it didn't say that I SHOULDN'T turn in anything, I would like to send a letter to tell them of my other summer research program acceptances for the summer and WOULD accept their offer in a heart beat. Is it a bad idea to update? Also, can you please provide a sample letter? Thank you in advance!:) :p

Members don't see this ad.

hmm, if you let them know you have other places to go, I think they would be more inclined not to give you the spot, since they know you've backups.

getting into those programs is quite difficult, so really, just having a place to go is a pretty good position to be in, good luck though with nyu, a friend was in that program, and they treated him really well

Thanx for the reply.

That is exactly one of my concerns, but I would just like to let them know that if I have been accepted to other SRP's like NYU I might be better than what they actually thought and should place me in their program... hehe...sorry if that sounded cocky-ish...:p

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi SDNers:

I am currently on the waitlist for the summer research program at NYU, but I would like to send a formal letter to the admissions committee to update. However, the letter I received says that there's no need to turn in additional information. Since it didn't say that I SHOULDN'T turn in anything, I would like to send a letter to tell them of my other summer research program acceptances for the summer and WOULD accept their offer in a heart beat. Is it a bad idea to update? Also, can you please provide a sample letter? Thank you in advance!:) :p

You're not really in a position to leverage, IMO. It's most likely they won't care; but you do run the risk of someone being "well, he's got other jobs, let's give his spot to someone else!"

The program is extremely hard to get into, so congrats even on a waitlist (they took 30 people out of 1100 applicants my year). Joel is a really cool guy so send him any update information, but like others said, I don't know if it will help. I doubt they'll get many rejections of their offer, so I have no idea if people get in off the waitlist or not...

Thanx.

I guess I will not send a letter. I thought that the process might be similar to being accepted to med. school (you know, when you get on the waitlist it would be a good idea to update).