NYU Supplemental Question - What accomplishments do you feel set you apart from other applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rebecca_chatul_tov

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am assuming that they want information that isn't already in my primary application. Most of my "accomplishments" that are already listed are my military awards and academic achievements, mostly military stuff which I have already talked about ad nausea.

Something that I don't think most people can talk about as an 'accomplishment' is the fact that I grew up in a rural community to a family that owned a small business and a farm. I started paying social security tax in 1991 (I was 11 years old), I have held a class B CDL, I can operate and repair most makes and models of combine harvesters, and I also know how to milk a cow and ride a horse.

However, I am not sure how this is relevant to dentistry or if it will make a good impression. I am sort of proud of these things because I think they are testaments to the value of hard work and dedication. Plus I also think that my background makes me incredibly practical but also sympathetic to those who are less privileged.

I need some advice. Should I write about this or find something else that makes me stand out.

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think it has to be related to dentistry as long as your answer shows a strength about you. I wrote how my abilty to code can help in data analysis (unrelated to dentistry). Your experience on the other hand is unique and can be related to manual dexterity! I mean who knows how to milk a cow nowadays. It is rare to even see a live cow if you live in a city like me. I think your background can make you stand out big time.

Reactions: 1 user