Nyu to stop the ap program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

magf02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I Just heard from very good friend at NYU that they are going to stop the AP program from this year, don't know how much truth there is to it, did anyone get any application response from them.

Members don't see this ad.

If that's the case then ppl who are seriously trying to apply this yr with DAT should confirm abt it...

heard you have to give DAT and you will compete for the 4 year DDS program and will be admitted in the regular DDS track.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing of the sort on their website yet. But am sure you must have checked into that. Now please correct me if wrong. So you heard NYU will not continue the DDS program for International trained dentists?

I called the school and they said they were thinking about it.They're not cancelling it but they may cut down the seats and then the rest (majority) go to the traditional students. So it may be true. I was going to take the DAT but now I feel it's not worth it. I'm going to focus on the other schools. I can't work with an indecisive school.

This really sucks as they had about 25% seats now the competition will be really bad.

I agree with chilled tooth . In that case other universities should increase their seats by 10 to 20% at least..

so studying dat only 4 nyu is stupid and waste of time already their program is 3yr and most expensive , then think about 4 years horribleeeeee u can come up with dds and half million dollar debt alsoooooo

I heard they increased the fees this year again. They are giving a new level to the term "Avaricious"

Every year someone writes that the AP program will end. It never does though so speak to the school before worrying.

Every year someone writes that the AP program will end. It never does though so speak to the school before worrying.

How many people are going to write the DAT anyway?? I would be surprised if they are able to fill 125 seats based on this new criteria! Actually maybe people who have low scores should write the DAT because the competition will be so scarce!

I agree with ASD.. people should contact the schools directly for reliable information and check the official school websites. I see a lot of speculation on the forums... that leads to unnecessary stress and anxiety for applicants.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
nyu is changing its ap to traditional dds program and not to stop that but the problem is that it will take 4 yrs to finish(so the fees ) and also u need to write dat

nyu is changing its ap to traditional dds program and not to stop that but the problem is that it will take 4 yrs to finish(so the fees ) and also u need to write dat

Where did you get this information?
I called them.. they didnt decide anything like this..

i highly doubt they would cancel the program

That makes no sense. International students pay a lot more in those three years than 4 year DDS. Also international students already are matriculated into the regular class. Like I said earlier this happens every year with a different person. Also international students can't go into regular DDS with DAT only they would need to take all the courses here in the US. Doubtful.

I always say the selection process in the US is really muddled up and needs a complete over-haul. I got my rejection letter for NYU a few days ago. Know what?????NYU can take it and shove it up their @r$$. I am in one of the best programs in NA and the fee is like 1/3rd of NYU.But I did get a really good laugh out of the letter.
Good Luck to all the people out there still trying.Its bloody tough....but the feeling you get once you are accepted...is indescribable. You HAVE to experience it. Cheerio.

Last edited:
I always say the selection process in the US is really muddled up and needs a complete over-haul. I got my rejection letter for NYU a few days ago. Know what?????NYU can take it and shove it up their @r$$. I am in one of the best programs in NA and the fee is like 1/3rd of NYU.But I did get a really good laugh out of the letter.
Good Luck to all the people out there still trying.Its bloody tough....but the feeling you get once you are accepted...is indescribable. You HAVE to experience it. Cheerio.

Congrats! BTW which school is 1/3 price of NYU?

Chilled tooth. which school costs 1/3 that of NYU??

Ya u r right but alaska is gonna start a new one this year , online application is available on october onwards, but i heard fee is 125k but the problem is weather u know that it is extreme cold there

How do we find out more information?

even I have heard similar thing from someone who is enrolled into this program currently........This is a nonsense decision.....Ridiculous I must say.....

How do we find out more information?

hi
i saw that your location is toronto. i also live near toronto. i was looking for someone who is preparing for bench exams. we can discuss and may be of some help for each other. please contact me at [email protected].

The only change for this application cycle(2012) for NYU is that students need to take DAT when applying.It is still a three year program.So when class starts in 2013,you will graduate in 2016.As to the next application cycle(2013) for the starting class of 2014,they still have not taken a decision.

I attend NYU and spoke to the admissions offficer.Calling the school is a good idea rather than asking for information on SDN.

The news is most probably right. I have heard from a faculty in NYU that they are going to make it difficult for APs from next yr onward. Definitely its going to be a 4 yr program and that's why they want DAT(which is the primary requirement for admission into any 4 yr program). they have not decided whether they would reserve the no. of seats for the international students or to make it free for all. that means the international students have to compete with the regular american students with the DAT scores (which is unfair as the training for DAT is much better in US than elsewhere).

having said that, I might also add that for the first time they will put this on a trial basis and see how many seats they can get filled this way, as 125 seats will be difficult to be filled in by the regulars. So, if its a 4 yr program, its NO MORE an Advanced Placement program. That way its true that they are doing away with the AP program.

Sorry all...I was on vacation....I am studying in Canada. A lot cheaper....about 100K....but the issue is its only for Canadian residents/citizens. But then we have only 65 seats across the country...hence bloody intense competition. But I wish all my peers the very best. Hope all of you get accepted....sooner or later (sooner is better)

Even for next year for international dentists to apply for 4 year dds program as international dentist u need to give DAT and they said u need to have 90 credits from us accredit ares institute .... That doesn't make sense to me then how can international students apply that's like 125 seats gone ......

Even for next year for international dentists to apply for 4 year dds program as international dentist u need to give DAT and they said u need to have 90 credits from us accredit ares institute .... That doesn't make sense to me then how can international students apply that's like 125 seats gone ......

yup 125 completely gone..! off course no one will take a US course for 90 credits and then DAT again...along with nbde's...I can't even imagine how bad the situtation will be next year..

yup 125 completely gone..! off course no one will take a US course for 90 credits and then DAT again...along with nbde's...I can't even imagine how bad the situtation will be next year..
HI guys , where they are saying this 90 credit hr stuff in their website?? is it true , i cant believe that

HI guys , where they are saying this 90 credit hr stuff in their website?? is it true , i cant believe that

I called them up and that's what they said but they keep on changing like first it was DAT for this yr then no DAT .... I think it's better to call them up and conform.... They say international dentist can apply but then how can they with this 90 hr credit thing from us institute I specifically asked them does it have to be from here the women talked to some man in the back and then said yes.... It doesn't make sense to me ... Maybe somebody else can confirm

NYU is stopping the Advanced Standing program for International DENTISTS but you can apply to the regular DDS program as an International STUDENT. There are other international students that come to the US after highschool and get their 90 units and take the DAT and apply to dental school but are still international students since they don't hold citizenship to the US. So NYU is saying you can apply to the regular DDS as an international student which requires 90 units and DAT and not as an international dentist which only required nbde. Hope that makes sense.

NYU is stopping the Advanced Standing program for International DENTISTS but you can apply to the regular DDS program as an International STUDENT. There are other international students that come to the US after highschool and get their 90 units and take the DAT and apply to dental school but are still international students since they don't hold citizenship to the US. So NYU is saying you can apply to the regular DDS as an international student which requires 90 units and DAT and not as an international dentist which only required nbde. Hope that makes sense.

wavuuu thats a great piece of information , thank you

well, that's a valuable update!!

I called them up and that's what they said but they keep on changing like first it was DAT for this yr then no DAT .... I think it's better to call them up and conform.... They say international dentist can apply but then how can they with this 90 hr credit thing from us institute I specifically asked them does it have to be from here the women talked to some man in the back and then said yes.... It doesn't make sense to me ... Maybe somebody else can confirm

I hope they change this 90 hr credit thing also after sometime just like they kept changing their DAT requirements.