NYU v. Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocKat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I really need help deciding. I know that NYU is considered to be in a better location, but their housing was really small. But I think that I will be more happy being in Manhattan than the Bronx. I am so conflicted! Please help me!

Members don't see this ad.

DocKat said:
Hi guys I really need help deciding. I know that NYU is considered to be in a better location, but their housing was really small. But I think that I will be more happy being in Manhattan than the Bronx. I am so conflicted! Please help me!

NYU is a much better school than Albert Einstein. I like Manhattan better than the Bronx also. Go with NYU. It is a no brainer!

DocKat said:

If you want to live in Manhattan, you have to expect tiny living spaces. Personally, I'd choose NYU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I'm in the same situation right now....here are my thoughts

AECOM:

Pros:
- really nice and cohesive student body
- more clinical based (i'm not a big research kinda guy)
- more holidays thanks to our jewish friends
- better living situation (although i'm cool with dorms)

Cons:
- lower ranked
- not as reputable a name (for whatever that's worth)
- the bronx

NYU
Pros:
- manhattan!
- higher ranked
- bellevue
Cons:
- student body doesn't seem as cohesive (anyone care to clear this up for me?)
- lots of frat and sorority types from what i saw (again, please tell me i'm wrong)

And please, no "harvard" responses...i know that it's really funny inside your head, but it just isn't funny when it comes out...feel free to think it, though ;)...or you can even say it out loud, just don't post it...thanks

calvinandhobbes said:

AECOM:

Pros:

Cons:
- lower ranked
- the bronx

NYU
Pros:
- manhattan!
- higher ranked
- bellevue
Cons:
- lots of frat and sorority types from what i saw (again, please tell me i'm wrong)

And please, no "harvard" responses...i know that it's really funny inside your head, but it just isn't funny when it comes out...feel free to think it, though ;)...or you can even say it out loud, just don't post it...thanks

I go to NYU. I'm not gonna lie, we got a few of the frat/sorority types (they are not the majority) but we tend to be a younger bunch so that may explain that. Most of the students live in the same dorm so we are pretty cohesive. But everyone living in the same dorm can be a pro or con depending on how you look at it. Expect the same amount of holidays at our school as well (a big portion of our class/faculty is jewish.) If you need any more info let me know. I'm not gonna surgar coat the school - i'll be straight up with you.

okay, what is theis bull**** about higher ranked...by 6 freaken spots..last year US News and World Report Einstein was ranked 38 and NYU 32. Now Rochester was ranked 30 so I guess it's superior to both. Truthfully, people from NYC know that Einstein has yes "just as good a rep" as NYU. In fact, clinical training is slightly stronger, that is of course if you read rankings (that's for all the rankings zealots) or you intuit that from the fact that Einstein's primary public teaching facility is Jacobi.

NYU maybe a slightly stronger rep because of the undergrad school and the fact that the school has been around so much longer than Einstein. Yet, Einstein is much more community centered, and if you want to be a doctor who "gets his or hands dirty" by being more of an activist, well then Einstein is for you. Now on the otherhand, you want to be an Ivy League wanna be..(pretentious and snobby with your 5th ave Jones New York suit and your office on Madison, only treating richy rich)then NYU fo shuure

Whoever said AECOM is more clinical and not research-based... really should do some research on that b/c AECOM can be extremely research oriented if you want it to be.

maver1ck84 said:
okay, what is theis bull**** about higher ranked...by 6 freaken spots..last year US News and World Report Einstein was ranked 38 and NYU 32. Now Rochester was ranked 30 so I guess it's superior to both. Truthfully, people from NYC know that Einstein has yes "just as good a rep" as NYU. In fact, clinical training is slightly stronger, that is of course if you read rankings (that's for all the rankings zealots) or you intuit that from the fact that Einstein's primary public teaching facility is Jacobi.

I agree. 6 ranks means nada.

maver1ck84 said:
NYU maybe a slightly stronger rep because of the undergrad school and the fact that the school has been around so much longer than Einstein. Yet, Einstein is much more community centered, and if you want to be a doctor who "gets his or hands dirty" by being more of an activist, well then Einstein is for you. Now on the otherhand, you want to be an Ivy League wanna be..(pretentious and snobby with your 5th ave Jones New York suit and your office on Madison, only treating richy rich)then NYU fo shuure

I disagree. I believe Bellevue lets you get your hands pretty dirty, and I don't think NYU kids are Ivy League wanna be's. Also, I doubt many kids shop at the 5th ave stores...i never have and never plan to

All four schools in Manhattan are pretty cushy. You really find the gritty stuff and far more clinical exposure at the two outer schools. Both Einstein and Downstate have far more patient volume at their municipal and university hospitals than the cush schools, and students take point on many more cases. I'd pick Einstein. The rep is not far from NYU and you'd get a better clinical education. Although if the Manhattan scene is your thing, NYU's a no brainer, especially due to its lower Manhattan location. NYU also has far more street cred when it comes to research too. If you think you may be interested in a super competitive, cutting-edge residency, you may want to consider NYU.

amojan99 said:
All four schools in Manhattan are pretty cushy. You really find the gritty stuff and far more clinical exposure at the two outer schools. Both Einstein and Downstate have far more patient volume at their municipal and university hospitals than the cush schools, and students take point on many more cases. I'd pick Einstein. The rep is not far from NYU and you'd get a better clinical education. Although if the Manhattan scene is your thing, NYU's a no brainer, especially due to its lower Manhattan location. NYU also has far more street cred when it comes to research too. If you think you may be interested in a super competitive, cutting-edge residency, you may want to consider NYU.
Have you seen P&S? The facilities? The neighborhood? The patient population? I admit that Milstein had Clinton and Pataki, because Presby is badass like that, but cushy might just be the wrong word to describe the school.

You might have a point about Cornell and Sinai--I can't tell 'cause I never visited those schools--but P&S and NYU have plenty of grit. Bellevue is a public hospital serving a huge variety of patients while Presby has Washington Heights which is not exactly the Upper East Side.

amojan99 said:
Have you even set foot in Bellevue? The place is the antithesis of cushy, and its basically run by residents and med students, meaning you get plenty of hands on activity. It is true that on your rotations in NYU Hospital, it has the private hospital feel, but its not bad getting a taste of both.

As for NYU vs. Einstein, really I would have to say it probably comes down to location more than anything. And while Einstein can be research oriented, I would have to say NYU puts more of an emphasis on it, and also just completed a brand new lab building which is very nice. The best way to compare reputations is probably to look at match lists and board scores, but I have not seen the Einstein match list, nor do I know their avg board scores.

FaytlND said:
Have you even set foot in Bellevue? The place is the antithesis of cushy, and its basically run by residents and med students, meaning you get plenty of hands on activity. It is true that on your rotations in NYU Hospital, it has the private hospital feel, but its not bad getting a taste of both.

As for NYU vs. Einstein, really I would have to say it probably comes down to location more than anything. And while Einstein can be research oriented, I would have to say NYU puts more of an emphasis on it, and also just completed a brand new lab building which is very nice. The best way to compare reputations is probably to look at match lists and board scores, but I have not seen the Einstein match list, nor do I know their avg board scores.

how are nyu's board scores and match list?

Match list seems pretty solid. Hard to just generalize, but you can take a look at 2004's to get an idea:Matchlist

LAst i heard the avg board score was somewhere between 225-230. 228 was the number I heard.

Yeah, I'll grant you that Presbyterian hsp. and Bellevue see their fair share of grit. But at the same level as Jacobi or Kings County? No way. Pick up a copy of the Daily News or Post and flip to the Police Blotter section. Every day, they list gsw victims or car accidents etc. that were carted off to those hospitals.

amojan99 said:
Yeah, I'll grant you that Presbyterian hsp. and Bellevue see their fair share of grit. But at the same level as Jacobi or Kings County? No way. Pick up a copy of the Daily News or Post and flip to the Police Blotter section. Every day, they list gsw victims or car accidents etc. that were carted off to those hospitals.
US News should add GSW to the rankings. I say that criterion deserves at least a 20% weight on the overall score.

DocKat said:

NYU if you are willing to pay the price
Einstein if you like cancer research
NYU if you like a tiny aprt.
Einstein if you want more living area
NYU if you like active Manhattan
Einstein if you like the boring North Bronx

in my opinion, einstein! no question..but nyu is in a nicer part of town. if u practice in nyc, either one works well

calvinandhobbes said:

AECOM:

Pros:

Cons:
- lower ranked
- the bronx

NYU
Pros:
- manhattan!
- higher ranked
- bellevue
Cons:

i got this feeling too. everyone was so.... preppy.