NYU vs. BU and Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigdogg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I could use some advice. Since rankings are virtually useless and match lists are hard to find, I really dont have a way to compare NYU to Tufts and BU. If you have one, could you post any reason(s) why Tufts or BU might be a better choice than NYU?

This is not intended to offend anyone, I simply need some help.
Thank you in advance for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at all three (obviously my opinion is biased). Love NYU the best because 1) the price 2) the people weren't so damn competative 3) Pass/Fail only.

BU/Tufts might be better if you like Boston over New York. Boston is also one of the best places for academic medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Boston and New York are very different cities in my book. If it were me, location would make me lean towards NYU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having applied to none of the 3, it seems that they are all approximately equal reputation-wise. I would say whichever one you got the best feeling from.

NYU by far. It's more respected by residency directors, much better match list and higher step 1 score (average 230).

NYU. quit asking stupid questions.
-mota

if you think the three schools are comparable, you should consider the fact that nyc >>>>>>>> boston

vn2004 said:
if you think the three schools are comparable, you should consider the fact that nyc >>>>>>>> boston

yes, nyc >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any city. but that's just me. :D

I decided between NYU and BU last year, and besides the fact that I love NYC more, I really didn't care for BU too much. THeir anatomy lab was taught by 4th years, which I found odd, because I think if I am paying 50k for med school, I want professors to be teaching. Also, they have a pretty standard 9-5 lecture schedule, which I could never do. Especially because you had to attend class, as they did not audio record lectures or have transcription services. All this and BU and Tufts seemed incredibly expensive, even compared to NYU.

BMW M3 said:
Boston is also one of the best places for academic medicine.

It IS the best place for academic medicine. Boston = academia. Colleges on every corner, too = many people your age to meet.

Plus how many World Championship teams has NYC managed to produce since the year 2000??? (Not much to be proud of there lately....)

NYC = too crowded (place is like an ant farm - people crawling all over each other and tunneling through the subway system...), too smelly and too expensive. Plus they have a city tax. Even MORE money taken outta that miniscule paycheck!

Take Tufts.

If you are interested in residency at Harvard programs (MGH, BW, BI), BU and Tufts are better given that these programs favor local medical schools.

FaytlND said:
I decided between NYU and BU last year, and besides the fact that I love NYC more, I really didn't care for BU too much. THeir anatomy lab was taught by 4th years, which I found odd, because I think if I am paying 50k for med school, I want professors to be teaching. Also, they have a pretty standard 9-5 lecture schedule, which I could never do. Especially because you had to attend class, as they did not audio record lectures or have transcription services. All this and BU and Tufts seemed incredibly expensive, even compared to NYU.

anatomy lab was taught by 4th years - Not true - profs are always around

pretty standard 9-5 lecture schedule - True but more like 9-3

you had to attend class - Not true for lots of students :)

did not audio record lectures or have transcription services - True but a comprehensive syllabus is provided with everything you need to know.

While I agree that NYC is most likely the most impressive city (in the country or even the world, perhaps), I would undoubtedly go to Boston U. Here are my reasons:

1. NYU puts first-years in DORMS. A rusty sink in one corner and a coed bathroom shared by everyone on any given floor. Not blaming them, since it IS New York and great housing would be impractical from a financial standpoint. Still wouldn't want to live there, though, regardless of the reason for it.

2. BU is more about academic medicine (as already mentioned, and as is generally true about all of Boston). If you're little interested in research or academia in general, NYU gives you outstanding clinical experience at Bellevue. But the clinical experience is still great at BU, and you get new and impressive research facilities and funding.

3. New York City, despite its splendor, is a bit dirty, crowded, and hectic. Boston is historic and beautiful, and BU is in a particularly great area (right next to the South end).

4. Perhaps least important is ranking. US News puts BU slightly higher than NYU, and looking at matters like research funding and new facilities (over the past 5 years or so) really makes clear a sort of upward trend for BU (whereas NYU seems kind of static, albeit a great school).

OK, just my two cents. In case it isn't obvious, I've been accepted to BU and am giving you the reasons why I'm definitely going to attend. Sorry, don't know much about Tufts...

Members don't see this ad :)
FaytlND said:

You forgot to mention that at BU, there are EIGHT people to a cadaver rotating in groups of 4 which really shocked me.

what about class size and the types of people you're going to be spending the next 4 years of your life with? NYU generally has a younger crowd i think, they're oldest last year was like... 30? there's also like.. 200 to a class if i remember correctly.

BMW M3 said:
I interviewed at all three (obviously my opinion is biased). Love NYU the best because 1) the price 2) the people weren't so damn competative 3) Pass/Fail only.

BU/Tufts might be better if you like Boston over New York. Boston is also one of the best places for academic medicine.

Did you find the Tufts students to be competitive? When I interviewed there, they seemed so laid back and cooperative. Please tell me that you're talking about BU.

Anyway, to the OP, I'd go to whichever school you feel the best about. Theyr'e all great schools and I don't think that you could go wrong with any one of these reputation/education wise. I do have a former classmate who is now a first year at BU and he has NO free time on his hands. I don't know, but the classes from 9-5 thing doesn't sound so great to me.

pancarre12 said:
While I agree that NYC is most likely the most impressive city (in the country or even the world, perhaps), I would undoubtedly go to Boston U. Here are my reasons:

1. NYU puts first-years in DORMS. A rusty sink in one corner and a coed bathroom shared by everyone on any given floor. Not blaming them, since it IS New York and great housing would be impractical from a financial standpoint. Still wouldn't want to live there, though, regardless of the reason for it.

2. BU is more about academic medicine (as already mentioned, and as is generally true about all of Boston). If you're little interested in research or academia in general, NYU gives you outstanding clinical experience at Bellevue. But the clinical experience is still great at BU, and you get new and impressive research facilities and funding.

3. New York City, despite its splendor, is a bit dirty, crowded, and hectic. Boston is historic and beautiful, and BU is in a particularly great area (right next to the South end).

4. Perhaps least important is ranking. US News puts BU slightly higher than NYU, and looking at matters like research funding and new facilities (over the past 5 years or so) really makes clear a sort of upward trend for BU (whereas NYU seems kind of static, albeit a great school).

OK, just my two cents. In case it isn't obvious, I've been accepted to BU and am giving you the reasons why I'm definitely going to attend. Sorry, don't know much about Tufts...

In terms of research for NYU and their research facilities, in addition to the research facilities they already have they have just constructed a brand new massive research building that is supposed to house some ridiculous number of labs.

kirexhana said:
what about class size and the types of people you're going to be spending the next 4 years of your life with? NYU generally has a younger crowd i think, they're oldest last year was like... 30? there's also like.. 200 to a class if i remember correctly.

Class size is 160

BU did not seem competitive to me when I visited. I can't compare NYU because they did not interview me. Tufts really did not appeal to me, I found many of the students really arrogant and their facilities were not very nice.

BMW M3 said:
You forgot to mention that at BU, there are EIGHT people to a cadaver rotating in groups of 4 which really shocked me.
yeah, but I thought the guide said that they don't really have prosectors, that the students do almost all the disection and with only 4 to a body they wouldn't get everything done. Anyone else remember the same thing? (I had 3 interviews in 3 days so they sorta blur together)

jbar

BMW M3 said:

This is true, but unless you enjoy picking away at fat all day it can be a good thing! One group of four does the left side of the cadaver then the next day the other group of four does the right side. (The beauty of symmetry). Believe me you have plenty to learn without spending all your time in the anatomy lab. (ooh that smell)

Separate cadavers are being dissected simultaneously by fourth year students who are interested in matching in surgery. These would be considered the "prosections" which are meticulously dissected. You can refer to these when you have questions.

If you want to be a surgeon an elective is available in the 4th year where you run through the entire dissection again. By that time you will have forgotten a lot, and a refresher is a good idea.

By no means am I recommending BU over NYU. That is a personal decision. I am just trying to clarify any concerns people might have.

Hey guys, I could use some advice. Since rankings are virtually useless and match lists are hard to find, I really dont have a way to compare NYU to Tufts and BU. If you have one, could you post any reason(s) why Tufts or BU might be a better choice than NYU?

This is not intended to offend anyone, I simply need some help.
Thank you in advance for your input.
First, where do you want to live for the next 4 years? Second, do you prefer larger schools to smaller ones? NYU probably has the largest class size in the country, and Tufts at about 200 isn't far behind. BU on the other hand is a relatively smaller school. The good news for you, is that with 4 years of hard study, you'll get to practice regardless of your choice. Like college, dental school is what YOU make of it..Visit the schools for more than 2 hours. Spend 2 days and TALK to as many 1st and 2nd year students as you can. You'll get a sense of whether you really fit in there. Good luck!

First, where do you want to live for the next 4 years? Second, do you prefer larger schools to smaller ones? NYU probably has the largest class size in the country, and Tufts at about 200 isn't far behind. BU on the other hand is a relatively smaller school. The good news for you, is that with 4 years of hard study, you'll get to practice regardless of your choice. Like college, dental school is what YOU make of it..Visit the schools for more than 2 hours. Spend 2 days and TALK to as many 1st and 2nd year students as you can. You'll get a sense of whether you really fit in there. Good luck!
Lol I certainly hope this person didn't take almost 9 years to make a decision :)

Reactions: 1 users
Lol I certainly hope this person didn't take almost 9 years to make a decision :)
I died laughing when i saw this post. Though i'm pretty sure keratocyst didn't mean to post in here or to this person since he is talking about dental schools. Sometimes there are just some weird glitches on SDN.

Reactions: 1 user