nyu vs mssm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

membername1987

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
which would you choose? and why?

Members don't see this ad.

i would choose for you to go to nyu in hopes that it'd help me get off the mssm waitlist since i KNOW it's my top choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would personally choose MSSM b/c of the location. I'm not a big fan of greenwhich or Bellevue.

nyu som isnt in greenwich village, thats where the undergrad buildings are. the med school is in Murray Hill, which is sort of nondescript. it has some cool indian food places, but other than that, its sort of a boring place. its close to downtown though, so thats a plus

any reasons beyond location? i'm heavily leaning towards mssm but I just wanted to see what other opinions were

I would probably say NYU. More reputable among those not in the medical profession and greater research opportunities.

I would probably say NYU. More reputable among those not in the medical profession and greater research opportunities.

Because we all think about this as a deciding factor when choosing our future medical schools...

My vote goes for MSSM. It's a great school on the rise and has a solid reputation (within the medical community) on the East coast.

Whoa. Aren't you also asking about MSSM vs. Columbia?

Alright. Between MSSM and NYU, I'm gonna vote... Columbia.

I don't think I've heard a less important quality about a medical school. Why does reputation to the NON-medical community even matter at all?

mssm is awesome.. i do research there and the students seem to like it too. however, i think the more important question is which school did oyu like most? which school would you rather be at? and if that doesnt decide, how about which one gave you a better financial package?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm debating the same thing as well. I think I'm leaning towards MSSM. Seems like a step above NYU in pretty much every area.

i think greenwich is much better than spanish harlem

as far as i know, MSSM students don't live IN spanish harlem. but being nearby sounds like it makes for a great patient experience.

btw, is mt sinai procounced "sin-eye" or "sigh-ah-ny". i was watching seinfeld, and kramer pronounced it as "sigh-ah-ny"

I vote MSSM all the way. NYU snubbed me twice. Now I wouldn't go there if they begged me.

btw, is mt sinai procounced "sin-eye" or "sigh-ah-ny". i was watching seinfeld, and kramer pronounced it as "sigh-ah-ny"

Everybody I know calls it "sigh-ny". Some people in my interview group even recognized one of the rooms from Seinfeld :)

the first way. SIGN-eye

and i also cast my vote for MSSM. innovative, philanthropy-oriented, beautiful hospital...

I don't think I've heard a less important quality about a medical school. Why does reputation to the NON-medical community even matter at all?

You mean, like, to your patient population? The people you're going to be seeing everyday for 3rd and 4th year? I can't imagine that their opinion matters much ... right.

Yeah, Columbia has a HORRIBLE reputation among its patient population. Even among its non-doctor staff, it's loathed. MSSM actually has a pretty good relationship with Spanish Harlem and attempts to make connections in a positive, non-condescending way. It's been called the most "humane" and "compassionate" of the NYC schools. As for NYU, I'm not too sure about their relationship with the lower east side.

I've worked / studied / volunteered at all three. MSSM gets my vote in the non-medical reputation category. If that matters to anyone.

You mean, like, to your patient population? The people you're going to be seeing everyday for 3rd and 4th year? I can't imagine that their opinion matters much ... right.

When you require immediate medical attention, I think the last thing on your mind would be wondering where your doctor trained. I have yet to encounter a patient who even cares where their physician studied. If such patients do exist, there would be so few of them that basing your decision on where to attend medical school would simply be frivolous.

mssm was mentioned in seinfeld?

yeah, kramer and his midget friend were acting as patients for the med students. and he ends up getting some disorder that he didnt want to act out. i forgot which episode.

When you require immediate medical attention, I think the last thing on your mind would be wondering where your doctor trained. I have yet to encounter a patient who even cares where their physician studied. If such patients do exist, there would be so few of them that basing your decision on where to attend medical school would simply be frivolous.

I can agree with that. I'm just saying that you'll get a different perspective at P&S or NYU than you would at MSSM. And it'll affect how you end up treating your patients as a physician. I'm thinking specifically of poor patients in NYC and being in an antagonistic relationship with them.

mssm was mentioned in seinfeld?

my student interviewer talked a lot about that episode when we took a tour of the simulation facilities. i'm not a seinfeld fan, but he was pretty excited about it.

I'd go for MSSM, except they snubbed me totally. But if you have an acceptance to both, give up NYU so I can have a shot at getting in :)

Is it true you get more clinical exposure at NYU vs MSSM or anywhere in the country? Especially of acute cases, etc. Would the faculty then at NYU be better to learn from? I'm not sure about the fac at MSSM.

hmm I would think greater exposure at mssm because of the variety of rotation sites in both nyc and nj. I could be wrong though.

if you want to meet pretty, single, jewish girls, then MSSM all the way.