NYU vs. Mt. Sinai -- help! I am so torn!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess I should be as frank as possible about my dilemma... I hope I don't come across as being mean to NYU or Mt. Sinai alumni... So, I am trying to decide between Mt. Sinai and NYU for medical school. I have a feeling that NYU has a better reputation than Mt. Sinai in terms of academics and among residency directors, and I feel NYU may be a better fit for me than Mt. Sinai, although Sinai is a wonderful school as well. And the fact that NYU students do very well in residencies, especially those in the specialties, is quite important to me because I am thinking (but not yet committed to, of course) about going into dermatology, which is a very competitive area to get into.

So the problem lies in the financial aid situation. After a round of appeals, NYU is offering me a final package that will amount to about $160,000 of principal amount of debt by the time I graduate... Mt. Sinai offered me a package that would leave me in about a $70,000 in debt. I guess you can see where my dilemma stems from. Do you think going to Mt. Sinai over NYU would put me at a significant disadvantage in getting into a competitive field such as dermatology? Do you know anyone who were also in this situation?? I need to make a decision pretty soon, and I am completely torn. I was wondering what you honestly think about this situation. I think that perhaps some of you will probably have a better idea about how much or little financial burden can affect the quality of life during and after medical school. I would really appreciate if you can lend me some insight. Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

it really doesnt matter where you go to school honestly. Im from NY and went to med school in Iowa and am doing just fine. I would prob pick the school that was better off financially everything else is the same and anyone who tells you different is really not being forthright with you. Also pick the school that ill give you the least amount of hassles.. I lived a hassle free existence in iowa for four years... ;)

i might be biased as a mt. sinai alum but i would go to sinai. it's true that for purposes of specializing, nyu has more grade inflation which may benefit you in small specialties that aren't equiped to account for that factor. quality of life is outstanding for the first two years at sinai (with pass/fail grading). we definitely get fewer high grades per capita in third year (due to h/p/f, so only 15-25% will honor a given rotation.) if you are focused on matching in derm from first year, you won't have a problem though since you can easily publish several papers in the ample elective time during years 1-2

sinai is a better hospital by far than nyu. i agree that nyu is more established but as seen in recent usnews surveys, mt. sinai is certainly on the rise in stature and at this point is probably a better school. also greater financial resources equals more financial aid.

best of luck

Generically, Sinai is a better hospital than Bellevue...

But does that mean that a medical student learns more from Sinai or the understaffed, oldest public hospital in the country with a population that is probably the most diverse in the country as well?

Also, NYU has an abundant amount of money for student organizations and trips...which shows in the very happy demeanor of the students. It is also pass/fail and IMHO it has a better match rate outside of NYC than does Sinai. True, Sinai is on the rise and whatnot, and I thought students were happy there too, but we should consider the present, and the research I have done leads me to believe that all other things equal, NYU will be better for matching into derm.

Plus there is an honors program that you can do for the research, which provides a stipend for the summer and anyone is allowed to do.