NYU vs. Mt. Sinai?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryogen9

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the pros and cons of NYU versus Mt. Sinai? I'm sitting here racking my brain to make a decision and May 15 isn't getting any further away-- any help would be much appreciated.
(A link to a good thread would be just as good as a comment here; google seems to be dropping the ball on this one...)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not going to do the search for you, but there's definitely multiple other threads on this topic from previous years which are easily found using the sdn search of the pre-allo board. I know b/c I've already read them all. Good luck! =)

Edit: To clarify my post, you said you tried googling, but didn't mention doing sdn searches. And I wasn't trying to be smug about reading them all, the smiley face was about the fact that there are plenty of resources on this topic and you'll find a ton of info. G'luck again - and personally, I'd choose sinai. Better feel to the school for me, and I'm from nyc and just really don't like nyu.

Why are you having a tough time deciding? This should be a very easy decision. They are equal almost in every way...reputation, ability to get residencies, curriculum, grading, 3 hospital system during 3rd year (although for NYU all 3 hospitals are within walking distance to one another), even the order of their course schedules. You will not be at an advantage at either place, unless you know you want to go to one of them for residency.

So, with that confounding reputation stuff out of the way, just go with your gut...

1)where would you rather live: upper east side or downtown?
2)where did you get a better feel: Sinai (kinda touchy-feely, more laid back) or NYU (a little more traditional)
3)which housing did you like better?
4)Are you interested in research? if so, look at the faculty projects and see if there is one that you REALLY want to be a part of and contact that person. Instead of hoping you get an interesting, you have the chance to pick your school and create your own opportunities.
5)which lecture hall and hospital do you find more aesthetically pleasing?

Some of the things I listed may seem trivial, but they are so evenly matched that these are just as important as anything else you can come up with. It may seem like a huge decision, but its really not...the opportunites presented to you and even your life during med school will not be that much different at either place.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
geekOCD said:
Edit: G'luck again - and personally, I'd choose sinai. Better feel to the school for me, and I'm from nyc and just really don't like nyu.

Thanks for the clarification and the advice, geekOCD. I should have been a bit clearer when I said I googled it-- I meant I used the SDN seach (which is google) and I also used an outside google site search, to no avail. Search engines work in mysterious ways... I know what you mean, Sinai does feel more warm and cuddly. Then again, I liked NYU a lot more after second look. Then again, I guess that's the point of second look in the first place...

I also wanted to thank MSIV for his thoughtful contributions. You've stated the problem pretty succinctly; as always, it's figuring out what the hell I want that's the problem... Do you go to either of those schools? (I'm guessing from your username that you've been around the block with med school admissions.)

Ultimately it comes down to my preferences and my decision, absolutely. That said, though, I wouldn't mind having as many brains as possible applied to this problem. It'd be a better use of time than the MCAT writing section at any rate...

cryogen9 said:
Ultimately it comes down to my preferences and my decision, absolutely. That said, though, I wouldn't mind having as many brains as possible applied to this problem. It'd be a better use of time than the MCAT writing section at any rate...

I am dealing with the same question (Sinai or NYU) and was just thinking about starting a thread on it.
So I'm glad you did.
I'm leaning towards NYU right now, but will wait and see how financial aid comes out and wait for the Sinai second look weekend (minority on April 21 and 22 and regular second look on May 5, 6).

Any more input?